Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
11 Armed Guards

by AWR Hawkins 24 Dec 2012

The school, Sidwell Friends School in Washington, DC, has 11 security officers and is seeking to hire a new police officer as we speak.

If you dismiss this by saying, "Of course they have armed guards -- they get Secret Service protection," then you've missed the larger point.

The larger point is that this is standard operating procedure for the school, period. And this is the reason people like NBC's David Gregory send their kids to Sidwell, they know their kids will be protected from the carnage that befell kids at a school where armed guards weren't used (and weren't even allowed).

Shame on President Obama for seeking more gun control and for trying to prevent the parents of other school children from doing what he has clearly done for his own. His children sit under the protection guns afford, while the children of regular Americans are sacrificed.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Smells like BO to me. Frank 111-2 700 head of old man.jpg

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OF course they need to hire 1 more. After all, guards are "Cheaper By The Dozen" :laughing7:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The priviledged and rich get more and richer, and the rest of us pray the thing that lurks outside doesn't get us.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Spart, That was a good movie on efficiency ! Frank hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sidwell school for friends is a private school that gets big bucks from those that can afford to send their kids there. If you want that kind of security you gotta pony up the funds, nothing is free.

If an entity was created to train/equip/furnish guards for all public schools it will have to be paid for by taxes, which I see most people do not want to go up. It also creates another level of government intrusion into the lives of citizens. Which is it gonna be, smaller government or more? can't have both, ya know.

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
If an entity was created to train/equip/furnish guards for all public schools it will have to be paid for by taxes, which I see most people do not want to go up. It also creates another level of government intrusion into the lives of citizens. Which is it gonna be, smaller government or more? can't have both, ya know.

Well then you cut 1% off the militarys huge budget then you have the cash to hire and train enough guards for every school in this country.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Well, if we're going to spend ourselves into oblivion anyhow . . . why not make everyone "equal".

Even private schools receive government funds to operate, its just kept on the down low.

If they didn't, you would hear them whining all day and night about how unfairly they were being treated.

I agree, we can't afford many of the things we already have . . . high unemployment, bad economy, high taxes --- and nothing for the working man to show for it --- so why not use a bit of common sense and free up the business world to do what it does best: Make money.

XDSA40

Oct 27, 2012
IN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The school, Sidwell Friends School in Washington, DC, has 11 security officers and is seeking to hire a new police officer as we speak."
"The larger point is that this is standard operating procedure for the school, period. And this is the reason people like NBC's David Gregory send their kids to Sidwell, they know their kids will be protected from the carnage that befell kids at a school where armed guards weren't used (and weren't even allowed)."

I'd sure like to hear how Mr Blitzer and Ms O'Brien would spin this one.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The school, Sidwell Friends School in Washington, DC, has 11 security officers and is seeking to hire a new police officer as we speak."
"The larger point is that this is standard operating procedure for the school, period. And this is the reason people like NBC's David Gregory send their kids to Sidwell, they know their kids will be protected from the carnage that befell kids at a school where armed guards weren't used (and weren't even allowed)."

I'd sure like to hear how Mr Blitzer and Ms O'Brien would spin this one.
If I even watched tv any more, I too, would like to see that one.

(advice to blitzen, stay offa jeopardy)

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, we can't afford many of the things we already have . . . high unemployment, bad economy, high taxes --- and nothing for the working man to show for it --- so why not use a bit of common sense and free up the business world to do what it does best: Make money.

The Irish already have a saying to cover this :tongue3:

"Cut your cloth to fit your measure" :thumbsup: :laughing7:

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I attended a high school in New York City (Commerce High) back in the 60's. At lunch time we had NYPD officers in the cafeteria because of all the fights that would break out. Heck, we needed armed folks to protect us from ourselves. :)

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I attended a high school in New York City (Commerce High) back in the 60's. At lunch time we had NYPD officers in the cafeteria because of all the fights that would break out. Heck, we needed armed folks to protect us from ourselves. :)

The funny thing is I also mentioned that in one of the million gun posts on here, I guess people thought I was joking :laughing7:

Heck packerbacker, we had police in my JHS, David Farragut PS 44 Bronx NY. Throughout my time there had multiple stabbings, a few shootings and one killed by bow and arrow.. It surely wasn't called Fort Apache for nothing :tongue3:

Most infamous notable attendee to this school was none other than Lee Harvey Oswald

http://blog.loveleefamily.net/?p=84

The Bronx, one tough town :laughing7:

Last edited:

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know exactly what I'm talking about Spart. Thing is, even the cops didn't go into the upstairs bathrooms. There was so much pot smoke in the air it was hard to find the urinals. This was Manhattan; West 66th with Harlem between me and "home".

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Hay, I have the solution ! Just take those cops that are sitting around with radar guns and put them in the schools. I sure they won't be missed on the road. There you have the job covered at no additional cost. Frank

111-1 profile.jpg

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Packerbacker, I lived in the South Bronx during those years, and I'm sure you also heard stories of the notorious Bronx. I had to walk though enemy territory every day, only to live in enemy territory :laughing7:

Violence of all types were an everyday occurrence :tongue3:

NYC in general was no party, so I know exactly what you're talking about. I guess many that post really have no clue what life is like in the jungle:laughing7: But yet we went out and enjoyed our childhood, there were no psychologists brought in after any major event; you just dealt with it and yet I grew up just fine. We've become soft, hiding reality from children :tongue3:

Frankn, you missed the point. Like in Humpty Dumpty, all the kings horse and all the kings men, including a whole police department, couldn't keep the peace :laughing7:

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Packerbacker, I lived in the South Bronx during those years, and I'm sure you also heard stories of the notorious Bronx. I had to walk though enemy territory every day, only to live in enemy territory :laughing7:

Violence of all types were an everyday occurrence :tongue3:

NYC in general was no party, so I know exactly what you're talking about. I guess many that post really have no clue what life is like in the jungle:laughing7: But yet we went out and enjoyed our childhood, there were no psychologists brought in after any major event; you just dealt with it and yet I grew up just fine. We've become soft, hiding reality from children :tongue3:

Frankn, you missed the point. Like in Humpty Dumpty, all the kings horse and all the kings men, including a whole police department, couldn't keep the peace :laughing7:
You and Packer are dead right . And the kids from the coal camps where I grew up could , and have , buttered the heads of those 'city punks'and swallowed them whole .
Those of us that survived outgrew our roots with little baggage attached .

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually for years I did go back to visit my friends. Besides, it's almost impossible to rent an apartment in your preteen to early teen years :laughing7: Other than that, I loved my neighborhood, lived 2 blocks from the zoo and there were still plenty of things for an adolescent to do. Street violence was an every day occurrence and you got used to it :tongue3:

Honestly, I can look back and would have had it no other way.. I know I can't speak for packerbacker, but I bet he is right in line with me :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread