11" DD or 10" round comparisons on F2?

caheaton

Greenie
May 16, 2011
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 & F70
11" DD or 10" round comparisons on F2?

Hello, I know the merits of these coils have been discussed in previous threads here and on other forums and I've studied all I could find. Most compared these to the 8" coil, with some stating a 2" depth increase and others getting about an inch. I'm curious about 2 points:

First, how would the DD compare to the 10" round in depth? About the same?

Next, how is the DD coil at avoiding masking by trash as compared to the 10" coil?

Finally, would the masking (with the DD) be better or worse then the 8" coil?

Thank you! I do have the 4" coil and it's great in trashy spots, but I would like to probe with a bit more depth in those areas if I could and the 8" seems to be having issues with masking, since switching to the 8" in those areas is yielding shallower coins (on average) then the 4".

Craig

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 11" DD or 10" round comparisons on F2?

Hi Craig, Welcome to Tnet. :hello:

The F-2 is an entry level detector without an adjustable ground balance and that hinders its max depth more than which coil you use. But there are many differences in the way these coils work which is best explained by the two pics below. The concentric coil is deeper of the two but the area at the bottom is only about 2" round so you need to really pay attention to how much you over lap. While the DD coil's field covers more ground at depth, its hot down the center and doesn't mask as much.

Some day we'll be able to flip a switch and get them both.

Attachments

• Concentric Coils.jpg
    Concentric Coils.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 545
  • Double-D.jpg
    Double-D.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 535

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: 11" DD or 10" round comparisons on F2?

Sandman made a great post. That pretty much explains it all!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread