Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
No clue I’ll find out in 5 years. Just mailed a shovel in got it back in a week and just used my back up. Your point is??
His point is or what he wants to know is can he change the battery his self or does he have to ship it out just to get a battery in it . Like i said before we are going backward's if we can not change a battery our self.

Woodsy

Oct 26, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Outlaw, Mojave, Nox 800, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
His point is or what he wants to know is can he change the battery his self or does he have to ship it out just to get a battery in it . Like i said before we are going backward's if we can not change a battery our self.

Yep. This is a good point. You can easily run rechargeable batteries in ANY metal detector. So why would you want to have a detector that doesn't allow you to change them yourself?

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Oh I have no idea I don’t think that far ahead in life. I may not even have it in 5 years. But either way it’ll get done. But for me personally I HATED spending so much money and so often for batteries, but I detect a lot.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep. This is a good point. You can easily run rechargeable batteries in ANY metal detector. So why would you want to have a detector that doesn't allow you to change them yourself?

You run rechargeable batteries? Those rechargeable battery setups never worked well for me.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't like rehargable they don't work as well in pin pointers and detectors though the pack made for the at pro works great!!!!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't like rehargable they don't work as well in pin pointers and detectors though the pack made for the at pro works great!!!!

One thing I have to admit I loved my ATP, not sure if it was sentimental reasons or I just knew it language so well. When I sold it for the Max I was disappointed I do remember that. Maybe I didn’t give the Max enough time. Sold the Max and F75 for the 800. Who knows live and learn.

Last edited:

Woodsy

Oct 26, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The new ones they have now a days work well. They would be the same as the lithiums inside your detector. Here's a nice set:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J9PQ1C...&pd_rd_r=ba42551d-eaf0-11e8-9729-43f65cfc73de

There only good for their rated amount of charge cycles.

I’m glad they work good. Now days I just detect plug my 800 and earphones in in the truck and ready for the next day. The whole point is we’re all happy with what we have, because one thing we ALL have in common is WE’RE OBSESSED WITH THIS HOBBY [emoji1317]

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I have to admit I loved my ATP, not sure if it was sentimental reasons or I just knew it language so well. When I sold it for the Max I was disappointed I do remember that. Maybe I didn’t give the Max enough time. Sold the Max and F75 for the 800. Who knows live and learn.
I also sold mine for the Max to a tnetter for a steal and sent my old pinpointer to a newbee who didn't have one for free!!! I find the Max speaks pretty close to the AT and it goes a little deeper these machines kill it on coins I have the nox 800 great machine but as far as coins and target separation the Max hands down!!!!! The battery pack made just for these are top notch!!!Trust me

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also sold mine for the Max to a tnetter for a steal and sent my old pinpointer to a newbee who didn't have one for free!!! I find the Max speaks pretty close to the AT and it goes a little deeper these machines kill it on coins I have the nox 800 great machine but as far as coins and target separation the Max hands down!!!!! The battery pack made just for these are top notch!!!Trust me

I do love the Garrett product period, but I have to admit I got my eye on that Deus, I’m bidding on one now. But I know one day when I have some money not working for me I will pick up another Garrett machine before all is done.

Good thing I’m blinded enough to think I’m just the best on any machine lol

Woodsy

Oct 26, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Ill take another look at the 600 then. I have been eyeballing the Teknetics T2 Classic Metal Detector.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Calabash Digger- I'd be curious to know if you moved off the discrimination you had for the iron if it would detect the silver after that.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
A2coins- There is a difference in rechargeable 9v batteries as the base voltage varies for many Nicd and NiMH type batteries. Go with NiMH as they have larger capacity and no memory effect. They come in 7.2v, 8.4v, and 9.6v. The first 2 are too low in voltage for many pinpointers to operate properly. I have an 8.4v and 9.6v I use in my carrot and it gets flaky with the 8.4v battery as it settles to a nominal 8.4v. There's still lots of power there, but 8.4v is sometimes too low for proper operation necessitating charging more often. Full charge voltages do go higher than the nominal voltages, but you use that power quickly. I get good usage with the 9.6v battery as it lasts long in the field. I also use NiMH AA batteries in my Safari and they do very well. I have both types of NiMH in that one is standard and the other the precharged longer shelf life style and no problems. Only thing with rechargeables is you have to give them a refresher charge if in storage for very long. So do this every month or 2 to be sure they don't go bad. Their life is reduced if they are allowed to dip too low and if low enough it could kill the battery. Smart chargers that allow for individual battery charging are best. I've no comment on the Li-ion types as I haven't used those.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Minelab has not yet stated what the offical policy will be on the battery change out . The issue with changing the battery yourself is if the o-ring Is not installed properly and leaks it will void the warranty if it was changed by the owner, if changed by ML then warranty remains intact.

Warranty on the detector is 3 years but warranty on battery is 1 year, if owners who changed their own batteries leak, they just voided their warranty.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calabash Digger- I'd be curious to know if you moved off the discrimination you had for the iron if it would detect the silver after that.
It wouldn't its a faulty unit.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rechargable batteries in the Nox are a money saver for sure....there are a few down sides to them not being a changeable pack like the Excal or etrac. For one you can't just carry a spare and then if you forget to recharge or are in a remote location you could be in trouble. But I don't mind it too much, most cellphones are the same way.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my Tejon , tho I did have to send it in last Spring but Hey! it's 14 years old.

It def , hit's on all silver tho it would likely overload on a 10 ounce or more bar , I hope I'd check the signal anyway.

I found A Half Dime with it , numerous Percussion Caps , It loves the little , Stuff , For me it's (like my 1266-X ) a specific machine.
It dose work.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my Tejon , tho I did have to send it in last Spring but Hey! it's 14 years old.

It def , hit's on all silver tho it would likely overload on a 10 ounce or more bar , I hope I'd check the signal anyway.

I found A Half Dime with it , numerous Percussion Caps , It loves the little , Stuff , For me it's (like my 1266-X ) a specific machine.
It dose work.

I can bet the batteries in a Nox or Deus won't last 14 years. Maybe not the detectors either...

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calabash
..I started out liking your videos...but now you are reminding me of the kid in school who had to put down others to make himself feel good. Hate to break it to you ol' buddy, but there are guys here that were digging up awesome relics using Tesoro machines and similar before you knew what a detector was! In my conditions, for my style of relic hunting, there is no better choice than the Tejon. I have tried many, many machines and it is what I like. Of course, you have to realize it is NOT a one tone machine and take 100-200 hours to actually start learning it.

Secondly, when relic hunting, why would target ID be important anyway? You can't skip shotgun shells when you're relic hunting. You can't skip anything really.....so I really don't understand the point if this video except for the reason mentioned above. I for one am done with the Calabash videos ..

I did not watch the Video , I may watch 2-4 detecting videos a year , 'Shoot' Back in 1999 I would carry a 8 mm camcorder around but after 3-4 hunts in the heat I said 'forget that' I've even found 3 go-pros at the Lake (1-GP 2 & 2 GP 3's) they were in their protective cases & look new but I have no interest in using them , (that's just me tho).

Detecting vid's Make Joanes to hunt to much , Ill watch a video a 4 am then find myself planning a night hunt or Sunrise hunt.
I could talk about other machines but I don't have the Hundred's of hours of experience on each machine to just give 'my Opinion' on (my Unit) in (my Conditions) .

As my tag line used to say " It's 'IMO' 5 % machine , 10% detetorist , & 85% site.

Experience & Knowing your machine & knowing the Soil / Land is what I have found to be most important.

Mr , Calabash just scored a NICE! Script Calvary , IMO If it was lying at 7-9 inches in my GA Red kinda hot soil & depending on my swing speed I would have likely heard it & if it was in Sandy Soil with the stock coil & thr right angle & swing speed IMO I'd hear that 20-24 mm ??? button at 8-12 inches + . It all depends , Heck I reckon detecting to looking at the Fish & Game forecast, At some sites ill get only shot-gun brass for hours , then in the same area for an hour or 2 ill dig CW relic after relic , then the finds will drop off again after a certain amount of time . ??? I'm just ranting thak all this FWIW.
Good Night & HH To Everyone *& God Bless this World.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread