11 X 8 Widescan

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking at purchasing an 11 x 8 widescan coil for my Mojave. I hunt a lot of parks and wooded areas, would it be worth it or just a waste of money?

Im sure you'll hear opinions across the spectrum.

I gained a couple inches on my Silver uMax when I got the 11x8. Is 2 or 3 inches more worth $150?

I wouldnt waste the money. If you want depth and coverage, take the Mojave and the money for the new 11x8 and buy a Cibola or Vaquero. The Cibola and Vaquero has H.O.T. circuitry, the Mojave does not and never will approach their depth no matter how much money to spend.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It makes a huge difference, adding up to 3" in depth. I have a near new 11x8 Epsilon for your Mojave. I used it on mine, but since getting the Minelab Equinox 600, I only use the stock 7" concentric. PM me if you want it. $100 shipped :skullflag:

OP
OP
J

jsulateskee

Dec 14, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Mojave & Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It makes a huge difference, adding up to 3" in depth. I have a near new 11x8 Epsilon for your Mojave. I used it on mine, but since getting the Minelab Equinox 600, I only use the stock 7" concentric. PM me if you want it. $100 shipped :skullflag:
Does the coil have the 3' or the 8' cable?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Out of the 3 coils I have for the Vaquero, have to say the 8x11 is the one I dislike. Maybe because the 8x9 was the only coil I had and used for years before getting more and really got to know it. Stated on here before, after using only the 8x11 for awhile. Don't think I got anything the stock 8x9 would not have hit on and did not even use it once last season, probably be the same this one also. Heck, I would have possibly undercut Terry by 10 bucks for you if it was the 5 pin. haha

OP
OP
J

jsulateskee

Dec 14, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Mojave & Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Out of the 3 coils I have for the Vaquero, have to say the 8x11 is the one I dislike. Maybe because the 8x9 was the only coil I had and used for years before getting more and really got to know it. Stated on here before, after using only the 8x11 for awhile. Don't think I got anything the stock 8x9 would not have hit on and did not even use it once last season, probably be the same this one also. Heck, I would have possibly undercut Terry by 10 bucks for you if it was the 5 pin. haha

That's some good information. I appreciate the feedback. The coil that I have on it now is the 7" concentric. I was hoping to get a little more depth and coverage as I also like to hunt in wooded areas. I was thinking the 11 x 8 would achieve this, without going too far overboard, at least a little better than the 7" that came stock on it. I also have family that live in Tennessee and own a lot of farmland out there so I was thinking this would be great to use for that as well as soon as I have a chance to get out there.

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's some good information. I appreciate the feedback. The coil that I have on it now is the 7" concentric. I was hoping to get a little more depth and coverage as I also like to hunt in wooded areas. I was thinking the 11 x 8 would achieve this, without going too far overboard, at least a little better than the 7" that came stock on it. I also have family that live in Tennessee and own a lot of farmland out there so I was thinking this would be great to use for that as well as soon as I have a chance to get out there.
That's where it works the best. Hay fields where it's cut 5-6 inches high. Woods where you want the extra bit of depth to punch down through the fallen leaves, etc. But, in any kind of even moderate trash, the other two coils do work much better in it and I personally prefer those overall. You definitely won't go wrong getting it though. Good Luck

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus 2, XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Agree 100% with this. Before I sold my Vaquero last year, I bought and tried the 8x11 DD. I disliked it with a passion. In the conditions I hunt in (older sites w/ years of trash between the targets im looking for) the concentric was the only way to go. Even in cleaner sites, it just didn't feel right to me. Could just be a personal thing, but I don't think the 8x11" liked me...

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agree 100% with this. Before I sold my Vaquero last year, I bought and tried the 8x11 DD. I disliked it with a passion. In the conditions I hunt in (older sites w/ years of trash between the targets im looking for) the concentric was the only way to go. Even in cleaner sites, it just didn't feel right to me. Could just be a personal thing, but I don't think the 8x11" liked me...
Wow! Someone who actually agrees with that, thought it was just me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread