Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, we got back to the Iceberg today. We didn't score high on the silver but the wheats were record breaking. All three of us together dug about 240 wheats in several hours. LOL What's crazy is that about 80 of mine were in an area the size of a kitchen table. I dug only one coin that was not a wheat penny (besides 6 memorials), and that was a 44 D war nickel.
It was a really cool hunt. Hope yall can still find some ways to get out despite the cold... Thanks for reading and HH!
Dec9B.jpg

My 115 (oldest is 1921)
Dec9A.jpg

Upvote 0

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Like I said earlier today Nate...that area is stupid thick with Wheats. I think I dug 70 pennies today, so I dug 50 Memorials...and most of them were not far from your kitchen table spot...I think that the proportion of wheat/silver in this spot is way out of whack, but maybe we DO need to excavate deeper to find some older silver.
Assuming I can WALK tomorrow without pain, you guys up for another go? Have your Dad call me in the early AM if you are thinking of it.
115...shazam!!

ZoSo71

Nov 5, 2006
Somewhere near Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's DFX / Modded BH Land Star
That's alot of Wheats..

My back hurts just looking at the pics...

Nice Job Guys!

ZoSo71

I wonder if at one time someone didn't want to count all thoes "Pennies". And just pitched them in the dirt..
The stories behind the lost coin are just as fun as finding them..

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
WOW, That is a haul. Any good ones in there ? Wonder how so many older pennies got dropped in one area like that. Was it an old fair ground or something ?

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds Nate, that place is amazing! I would really like to know what it was years ago. HH, Mike

OP
OP
Nate in Ohio

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all, the history of the site is discussed a bit in the Best Of post. We coulda kept diggin wheats till the sun burned up it seemed. There were so many I kept losing track of my targets and re-digging my holes to find 2 or more in there. The best date was 1921. HH

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Nate ! Now that's what I call a great "harvest" of wheat ! ;D Thanks for sharing.

Huntin' 59er

groundfisher

Mar 27, 2005
Merrill,Wi.
Great job out there!That is an amazing number of Wheats.The war nickel really stands out in that crowd. I had a similar situation once when I hunted what I knew was the old penny arcade area at the fairgrounds here.I didn't dig nearly as many as you did though.Hope you get a chance to get back there again.That is a fantastic site. HH!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice Nate,

115 is more than alot of people get in a yr. I'd be checking every path in the area.

HH Jer

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice haul!

hh

lonewolfe

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
JEEZ Nate, that is WAY too many wheaties. ::) :D

In 30 years of hunting--even at some awesome sites--my record is only 57 wheats in one day.

Maybe there was a penny-pitching booth there?!? Many times those old booths put down sawdust, so coins were easily lost in it.

Nice finds, no matter what the cause. ;D

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree with MLW....You are WAAAAAAY over your wheat quota for the year. You need to cut back. ;)

What an amazing spot you guys are hunting. Congratulations again, Nate! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread