12,000 pounds later, Indian Sagwa and Cryers arise!!

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Hello all Tnetters, Its been a bit since my lost posting but we finally are back at it. Don and I got a nice permit to check out an older property so we took right to it. Of course first things first, get all the utilities marked. No gas lined or killer electric cables below:headbang: Then the probe fest began. I searched for an hour on the fairly larger back yard until I finally got a decent prospect. Felt some glass and debris at around 5 feet and below so this was our best bet to find glass. So I got off work and figured we could hammer through it with 6 hours of daylight.8-) Man we need all of it as it seemed. Started out knowing that this was a collapsible sugar sand type pit so we made the pit a bit bigger than normal. This way we could get to the base and the use layer without doing any kind of under cut or tunneling. That's always bad. :BangHead:

So down we went into this 5x5 square pit, not knowing we would have to go down about 8 feet to get the job done. That equates to about 12,000 pounds of dirt moved out then back in. :tongue3: The life of a pit digger. Sounds crazy to most but after seeing we had a chance to find some decent stuff you get a second, then a third and fourth wind!:hello2: Started out nicely with an Indian Sagwa which was in great shape. Then we must have found 50 utility blank meds until we got a couple decent druggist bottles from Iowa. Then some cool Lyons Hair restorer and some other german syrups. Some that were hinge molds. Dating to the early 1880's I would say with a couple possible earlier. Then of course the world crashes and the cryers start piling up. Hostetters bitters, Doyles Hop bitters, several flasks including a Sheaf of Wheat all broken. A nice colored yellow amber beer was shattered as well. But you take the good with the bad. We had a chance to pull some great old flasks and that's why we dig. :icon_thumleft: All in all we had a great time and the pit never collapsed. A good day for sure. So the pictures show some of the bounty all dirty and fresh from the 1880's. Now we gotta go find the 1890's pit if it's there. Time to go get some electrolyte transfusion!:laughing7: Back at it soon, be careful out there everyone and hope you find some treasure! jgas

Attachments

• w1.jpg
    w1.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 105
  • w2.jpg
    w2.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 103
  • w3.jpg
    w3.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 106
  • w4.jpg
    w4.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 115
  • w5.jpg
    w5.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 94
  • w10.jpg
    w10.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 119
  • w9.jpg
    w9.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 109
  • w8.jpg
    w8.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 121
  • w7.jpg
    w7.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 100
  • w6.jpg
    w6.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 111
  • w11.jpg
    w11.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 113
  • w12.jpg
    w12.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 129

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jgas, great to see you slinging dirt again. Truly great pictures and presentation as usual. The indian sagwa is gorgeous. Would love to see it after a bath. I'm also interested in your igloo inks. Any embossing on them? And would like to see more of those meds, i like the aqua ones. Please more photos after cleanup! Thanks for the thread. Good luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome digs that Indian is spectacular and please post more pics after you clean them.

Sent from my iPod touch using TreasureNet

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're the motivation I need to get out there soon and dig at all costs. Great digs, look forward to seeing more soon!

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
clean those puppies up....looking good!

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Cleaned up Bottles

Here are a few pics of the cleaned up bottles. They turned out decent. Hope you enjoy. jgas

Attachments

• w1.jpg
    w1.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 110
  • w2.jpg
    w2.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 102
  • w3.jpg
    w3.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 88

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice show Jgas. Roughly 20 or so bottles and not the 1st amber. Just curious, were there some broken ambers and broken stoneware pcs? Did you sift the pit or were you pressed for time?

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
There was an amber hostetters and a yellow amber beer but they were broken. We should sift the pits and detect them but we seem to always be pressed a bit with darkness. I'm gonna force myself to do it though. There were piles of stoneware plates and stuff too. All smashed of course. Regards. Jgas.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the clean up shots. The Indian is a great. Sorry about the cryers cause i know how you feel. My last pit had a broken union clasped hands flask, a drakes plantation bitters and bell schnapps. Hope you find that other pit and please, don't be a stranger to these parts.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
nice group, I would be tickled pink

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gas , its been awhile ,hope you are well , good to see another pit found ya !!!!! LOVE the Indian !!!!! :headbang: waiting to see your next pit

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that Indian is a beaut and it cleaned up real nice. I'm slightly jealous of your igloos I want to dig one badly. You should deff sift your holes I could just imagine what your leaving behind. I would also detect it too but I would use a 5 inch coil.

Sent from my iPod touch using TreasureNet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread