Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its dang gum raining...so I did a walk thru..found one of the two old cars on the property.. found this near it...I could only carry this pc.. the other pc is broken.. I have no clue how old this is..but it was one heavy iron thingy... looks like a chair part or a bench part..but at the same time its not tall like for an adult..the screws are still in it... and I will have to see if there is any markings on it.. the close up is the center, where there is a lions head... I thought this would look neat cleaned up and hanging on a wall.... man I am having one hell of a good time on this property... and found this without the detector...

Attachments

• ironthingy.JPG
    ironthingy.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 509
  • lion.JPG
    lion.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 515
OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh and since it was raining as I was walking thru the woods, I was yelling, DONT SHOOT ME.... lmao

tac512ltd

Aug 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark; Aquavision 2007
That's going to be one hell of a site. You're right, that would really look great hanging on a wall. What a piece.

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did find the other half..but its broken..and I couldn't carry both so I hid the broken one and carried the whole one back lol

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
bootybay said:
I did find the other half..but its broken..and I couldn't carry both so I hid the broken one and carried the whole one back lol

as long as the pieces are there... reconstruct the bench! It'll worth a bunch ... or... a fantastic keeper!

Can you weld?

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can't weld YET..but the broken pc.. is missing a bottom part and that I didnt find yet...

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way cool ! :o Haul the rest of that sucker out,If it can be repaired it shouldent be a problem replacing the wood slats and would look alot cooler than your preasent lawn furniture ! ;D

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
bootybay said:
oh and since it was raining as I was walking thru the woods, I was yelling, DONT SHOOT ME.... lmao

Ha yeah I try to just keep whistling as I go if I'm in the woods :) hopefully deer don't whistle :o

Looking forward to seeing what else you find there. Great spot.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Rae Here is an example of one we restored, both castings are broken.
and who knows where the pieces are.
what you can do is to find a welder who can work with the cast iron. these can be repaired.
and once they are restored you won't want to part with it.

Attachments

• Restored Bench.jpg
    Restored Bench.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 400

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Great piece of history, Congrats!
You just can't compare that to anything made these days...
Not sure I would yell too loud around any hunters,,, they're liable to shoot you for simply making too much noise... ;D
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they better not shoot me ...cause I was told when they are there..and so help me gods if they give me crap there aint nothing worse then a pissed off woman... I was told not to go early in the am or at dusk by the owner... and I will make sure I have bright orange on too....

I think I am gonna haul this cart thingy with me to carry the other pc back, and be able to toss all the trash into it too...considering I have a zillion nails to go thru in the front yard as well.. way I figure it, theres gotta be at least a few decent coins there, considering its history.

old dog, that bench looks neat as heck..

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck!!!!
Get you a small sniper coil and hunt the nail part of the yard.....Wishing you luck on the coins and the rest of your hunt there!!!

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I been using the 5.3 eclipse coil on it so far.. will post findings I got today.. in a bit..

S

stefen

bootybay said:

Cast iron can be welded...so repair it and rebuild a park bench...use teak or mahogany for exterior use...

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Stefan,
For the record if you are trying to be original... the original wood was white oak finished with boiled linseed oil.
The city still has some of these benches that were made in and around 1900, and have a guy who is part of the Parks dept who goes out every spring and scrapes the benches and recoats with oil. They still have the original wood. Due to changing times though they have had to start chaining them to nearby trees to keep folks from stealing them.
the one in the above photo was done with quartersawn white oak milled on the up side only, left rough on the other. It has been oiled every spring for the last four years the ends of the castings are broken where they are supposed to wrap around the last seat plank. But who cares.

Ran out to get this photo in the dark last night to encourage Rae to go get the rest of the casting parts.
They are easy to restore once you get the castings cleaned up. They really are sought after.

Rae your welder may have to braise rather than arc weld the cast. and when you paint the castings...
Be imaginative choose the color you want I have seen these painted ALL SORTS OF COLORS.

OD

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter
That iron has some nice work to it. Hope you find the rest.
Oh, and You dropped your knife. ;D

S

stefen

Old Dog said:
Stefan,
For the record if you are trying to be original... the original wood was white oak finished with boiled linseed oil.
The city still has some of these benches that were made in and around 1900, and have a guy who is part of the Parks dept who goes out every spring and scrapes the benches and recoats with oil. They still have the original wood. Due to changing times though they have had to start chaining them to nearby trees to keep folks from stealing them.
the one in the above photo was done with quartersawn white oak milled on the up side only, left rough on the other. It has been oiled every spring for the last four years the ends of the castings are broken where they are supposed to wrap around the last seat plank. But who cares.

Ran out to get this photo in the dark last night to encourage Rae to go get the rest of the casting parts.
They are easy to restore once you get the castings cleaned up. They really are sought after.

Rae your welder may have to braise rather than arc weld the cast. and when you paint the castings...
Be imaginative choose the color you want I have seen these painted ALL SORTS OF COLORS.

OD

No arguements as to originality...however based on the 1200 park projects we have under our belt, we prefer teak or mahogany due to long-term maintenance factors and weather conditions.

Teak retains its own oils and responds better to inclimate weather than oak, especially in 1st thru 3rd exposure sea coast conditions (salt laden winds) that we experience along the west coast, Hawaii and Guam.

Build it and leave it...as an example, I have a bench on my cabin deck that I built about 10 years ago that looks the same as the day it was built...it goes thru rain, snow and summer heat...

Just a suggestion...

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the dropped knife, is from my son..who can get his own butt out there to pick it up...as I have given up the Maid job..since these kids are adults

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread