Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, after 14 years of repair-free detectin', I think my Fisher 1266-X has a short in it. Sometimes when it is on it will spontaneously turn off (happened 3 times in 5 hours of huntin' last weekend). It usually seems to happen when the machine gets a decent signal (which is frustrating). The first two times it happened, a little jiggling of the machine and it turned back on. The third time I thought I'd never get it to come on again. My questions are these: 1.) Could this have been a result of the cold 38 degree weather? 2.) Will this situation worsen over time? and 3.) How expensive or complicated might a repair be? (Just so I can be prepared.)

Thanks in advance for any info you might have.

Buckleboy

P.S. I guess I'll have to stop braggin' now about the 14 years with no repairs :(

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
perhaps its just a simple pot repair
not to up on the layout of the machine ???
if it would be easy to crack open to look around and try a few tests with a voltage meter

Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Varies with location and conditions.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem could have been caused by the cold. I have had one do some strange things when it was really cold. One other thing to check is the battery holders (the white ones you drop in) I had one to develop a crack after 15 years or so that caused it to come on and off like you described.

Good luck,

D.

ReidMan

Jul 16, 2008
Hampton, VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Its the battery packs contacts. Go to Radio Shack get some terminal cleaner and some long cleaning tips to reach in the detector clean the contacts where the packs touch. Also clean the battery pack contacts. Mine does this ever year it gets a black coating that electricity wont make contact through. Simple fix.

La Beep

Feb 15, 2008
NE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, XLT Fisher's CZ5 Garretts GTA 1000
If you got to send it in you got two choices:
1. Fisher service
2. http://www.brokendetector.com/ Keith the owner/good guy

I would send my CZ5 to Keith over fisher any day as I would have to pay for it anyway.
So I guess the question is your under lifetime warranty and was it activated?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread