12V Pump Operating at Variable Speeds - Is It the Charger?

HardHatMatt

Mar 15, 2016
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had been hooking the blue bowl up to battery out on the back porch but finally cleared some space in the basement and decided I'd hook it straight to a charger. Trouble is, the pump seems to be operating at variable speeds...which is obviously less than ideal. The charger is a Schumacker 10A Charge/2A Maintainer. I'm suspecting that there is something about the "maintainer" aspect of the charger that is kicking the power down? Any advice is much appreciated.

Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I always wanted to build one of those!!!!!! I never learned enough!! :occasion14:

It's pretty simple, actually. Just get yourself about 20 semi truck batteries and about (2) 40' lengths of overhead power line wire. Line all the batteries up inline, with all the +'s on one side and the -'s on the other. Now solder the stripped overhead wire to the terminals with 1 wire on the +'s and 1 wire on the -'s. Once that's done, take a heavy steel rod and hold it tightly in both hands and short across the + and - wires. Don't worry about whether you're holding it tight enough. If you aren't at first, you will!! :laughing7:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's pretty simple, actually. Just get yourself about 20 semi truck batteries and about (2) 40' lengths of overhead power line wire. Line all the batteries up inline, with all the +'s on one side and the -'s on the other. Now solder the stripped overhead wire to the terminals with 1 wire on the +'s and 1 wire on the -'s. Once that's done, take a heavy steel rod and hold it tightly in both hands and short across the + and - wires. Don't worry about whether you're holding it tight enough. If you aren't at first, you will!! :laughing7:

:laughing7: I had a bank of 30(might have been 28 either way you get the idea) 6vlt batteries running my garage charging on solar. mostly just lights and some made up drills and whatever crap I could run. They were hooked to give me 12volts. ANYHOW, I understand the above meaning a little too well! The whole garage wall looked like a science fair project. IT worked in the end!!! But when I moved I couldn't bring all the batteries, too much weight. My neighbors would walk in and shake their heads. "all that for some lights and a fan? don't you have an extension cord?":laughing7: My Dad came over(who understands all that crap) took one look and said your going to kill yourself, break that bank apart into sections so you can work on it with out the power of all.:laughing7:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread