Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wonder how George Washington got ALONG WITH OUT A SMART PHONE or GPS !!!!

Hi Did George Washington use hairs rollers and white powder in the hair style of the day ? TP

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Glad you found it! :icon_thumleft:

halfstep

May 11, 2010
while there are certain advantages to having one, I just simply don't want the bill that goes along with having one. Some day in the not so distant future I'll probably have to cave in and get one because so many things are getting to the point where you're almost forced to have one because businesses all want you to use an AP. My employer has an employee portal on the internet to use to view your check, make changes to your deductions, call in sick, and so forth, and you have to have a mobile device to even be allowed to use it. It's almost odd looking back at the way I grew up in the days of land line telephones and letters in the mail. One thing that I notice where I work is that when everyone goes to break or lunch in the break room, nobody talks. Everyone just sits there looking at their phones. Personally, I don't like that. So I'm going to try to hold out for as long as I can even though it's a losing battle.

I'm not too far behind you. I have a flip phone and am lucky to even turn it on about once a month. Since my wife has an account, me having a phone doesn't cost that much more so I have one. But I rarely use it. I never carry it. It stays in the truck and gets used about once a month. I don't get very good signal where I live so they are useless around here. I have a laptop and the internet here at home so I don't have a need for a zombie-phone.

I do like the freedom of not carrying a zombie-phone around and being tied to it. Everywhere you go, you see people in their trancelike state starring into the little square eye hoping someone is starring back at them.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Cell phones are awesome devices as well as the Apple Watch. If I have a heart attack and fall over while I’m detecting and I’m not moving, the Apple Watch will call 911 for me.
Your not a zombie carrying a cell phone until you’re on one while driving.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Just got Roped into one of those Square Phones Yesterday :( I Hope I didn't make a Mistake.

ATT Is Charging me $53 for simple phone Service for my Flip Phone.

I had to Call Comcast to come up Wednesday & Move me to my New Residence.
While She had me on the Phone,

she asked what I was paying, She told me Under $20.00 she can supply me with a Phone & service.
Of course with Tax & Fees $20 is probably what I'll save . it will be around $30
a Month.

But I Bit.
Motorola moto e6, Starry Black, 16GB , Pay monthly, $5.99/mo for 24 months
Xfinity Mobile Protection Plan, $7.00/mo*
Sharing 1 GB on By the Gig, $12.00/mo*

All things they say I Had to agree to, I Would have Preferred Just the phone , Service

My Flip phone is Pretty Old anyway & The battery never fully Charges.

I'll still only use it for Phone calls anyway.

Thing is she claimed Comcast Has a Bigger area then ATT.
When I Had Verizon, All the areas I went were Dead Areas.
Hopefully I Didn't get Scammed & Have to Switch Back.

Like my Flip Phone the Camera Lens will need to be Blocked

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and three daughters have always had iPhones. They've been lost dropped in toilets and just quit functioning. I just got a new Samsung Galaxy S10 last week to replace my old Motorola which I've had since 2013 and it was only replaced because I changed carriers. I'm convinced there's a hexafoo on iPhones and I've seen it first hand. Glad to hear you found it though.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've dropped 2 Flips In toilets :laughing7:

Of course I Would immediately go to radio Shack . Get a Cheapo Replacement,
& Get the Girls to Remove the sim Card. I'd tell them in the sink so they didn't Go ballistic about
Flavor on the Phone they were Handling :laughing9:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wonder how George Washington got ALONG WITH OUT A SMART PHONE or GPS !!!!
I been an over the road peddler for 30 years and use to have a 12 digit call card number memorized to use at all the payphones I knew of. It was Rand McNally that got me around all the towns and cities throughout Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona Nevada and California. Out in the open country I just became familiar of the ways to go and where I'm at, by all the many landmarks I've come to know.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've dropped 2 Flips In toilets :laughing7:

Of course I Would immediately go to radio Shack . Get a Cheapo Replacement,
& Get the Girls to Remove the sim Card. I'd tell them in the sink so they didn't Go ballistic about
Flavor on the Phone they were Handling :laughing9:

You still have a Radio Shack? I thought they went belly-up years ago.....

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Like a firearm, I’d rather have it if needed not need it and don’t have it. Or something to that effect.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You still have a Radio Shack? I thought they went belly-up years ago.....

I've been Wondering on that.

No The 3 Radio Shacks near me are Gone.

This was Talk of What I Used to do in the Past

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats!! I am not sure but if you find your own valuable lost stuff and return it to yourself does that qualify as an Honorable Mention??!!?? Ruling Please!

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blk Hole I don't feel i am entitled to it !! My Stupidity was the cause of it !

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL Nope :tongue3: Common Sense Returns Like to Self & Immediate Family Etc,
Are Not Doing a Good Deed By my Thoughts. That's Automatic For 99% of the Population

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a poor senior with a landline phone which does not get much use and a free government phone that I only use a few times in the first of the months so I do not lose the service.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried the Free Phone Thing.
My Hearing was Not Good enough for it.
& was too Tiny for my Hands & Fingers.

I was asking Huh ? Too many times. Ya Get what ya Don't pay for I Guess

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I am a poor senior with a landline phone which does not get much use and a free government phone that I only use a few times in the first of the months so I do not lose the service.
I know people paying close to $100/mo. for wireline phone. If you have home internet go to digital (VOIP) phone and cut your phone bill in half.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Just got Roped into one of those Square Phones Yesterday :( I Hope I didn't make a Mistake.

ATT Is Charging me $53 for simple phone Service for my Flip Phone.

I had to Call Comcast to come up Wednesday & Move me to my New Residence.
While She had me on the Phone,

she asked what I was paying, She told me Under $20.00 she can supply me with a Phone & service.
Of course with Tax & Fees $20 is probably what I'll save . it will be around $30
a Month.

But I Bit.
Motorola moto e6, Starry Black, 16GB , Pay monthly, $5.99/mo for 24 months
Xfinity Mobile Protection Plan, $7.00/mo*
Sharing 1 GB on By the Gig, $12.00/mo*

All things they say I Had to agree to, I Would have Preferred Just the phone , Service

My Flip phone is Pretty Old anyway & The battery never fully Charges.

I'll still only use it for Phone calls anyway.

Thing is she claimed Comcast Has a Bigger area then ATT.
When I Had Verizon, All the areas I went were Dead Areas.
Hopefully I Didn't get Scammed & Have to Switch Back.

Like my Flip Phone the Camera Lens will need to be Blocked

I Just Called Comcast/Xfinity & Canceled, Told them I Felt High Pressured into saying Yes.

They told me to Just Refuse the order when FedEX Arrives .

I Feel Better Now with My Trusty Flip Phone :coffee2:

EQ8

Feb 1, 2020
Sw Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
while there are certain advantages to having one, I just simply don't want the bill that goes along with having one. Some day in the not so distant future I'll probably have to cave in and get one because so many things are getting to the point where you're almost forced to have one because businesses all want you to use an AP. My employer has an employee portal on the internet to use to view your check, make changes to your deductions, call in sick, and so forth, and you have to have a mobile device to even be allowed to use it. It's almost odd looking back at the way I grew up in the days of land line telephones and letters in the mail. One thing that I notice where I work is that when everyone goes to break or lunch in the break room, nobody talks. Everyone just sits there looking at their phones. Personally, I don't like that. So I'm going to try to hold out for as long as I can even though it's a losing battle.

My Sprint Galaxy 6 costs me $35 a month. Can't do much better than that.Cost is really no excuse any more.
You just have to ask for the smaller amount of data. If you don't watch movies all day and live on fakebook, you don't need more than 2 gigs a month.
Wal Mart has "straight Talk" phones for about the same money.
With either you get to keep the same number too.
If you can post here, you can certainly learn to use a smart phone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread