137-year-old Winchester rifle found in Nevada has new home

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A 137-year-old rifle found five years ago leaning against a juniper tree in Great Basin National Park in Nevada is now part of an exhibit dedicated to the "Forgotten Winchester" at the park visitor center near the Utah border.

The weathered Winchester Model 1873 is in a case designed to capture the way it looked when park archaeologist Eva Jensen stumbled across it on a rocky outcrop above Strawberry Creek during an archaeological survey.

Based on its condition, experts believe the weapon might have been abandoned in the forest more than a century ago.

WireAP_981ed879016441f9bcf5f38e4481a1ce_12x5_992.jpg

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's a story there, but we'll never hear it. Imagine abandoning a prized possession such as that. Perhaps gone to the happy hunting grounds.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a story there, but we'll never hear it. Imagine abandoning a prized possession such as that. Perhaps gone to the happy hunting grounds.
If I was to speculate, I'm thinking some Basque sheep herder sat up against that tree for a while to rest and then jumped up on his horse and again started riding off. Later on he noticed his rifle wasn't in his saddle scabbard. He went back to look for it, but the hundred of juniper's all looked the same and he for the life of him couldn't quite remember where it was he set that rifle down. He probably figured he'll come by it someday, but never did.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How cool would that be

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember reading about that. Glad they were able to display it for the public to view.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread