14k & 18k bolo tie ?

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I come across this bolo tie it look to be brass but I tested it with acid the outside tested at 14k and the airplane tested as 18k and what looks to be turquoise or a low-grade aquamarine I’m going to take it down to the scrap guy and see what he says what do y’all think there’s no markings
IMG_1025.jpgIMG_1024.jpgIMG_1022.jpgIMG_1021.jpgIMG_1020.jpg

Really cool item. Probably custom made in the 60’s for a airline jet pilot.

Neat find. Looks like it could have been made from an old compact or wristwatch case with a jade(?) cabochon soldered inside. Might check the tips for gold content too.

Stone could be Amazonite?

Going to take it to the jeweler tomorrow and have them test it and see what kind of stone it is I will update as soon as possible thanks for looking

Pretty unique piece.

Be sure to test the tips off the rope as well. Very neat piece and definitely custom

Very interesting piece! :occasion14:

So I finally got it down to the jeweler they put it on the electronica tester it started off at 18k but stayed steady at 14k so they were suggesting that it would be 14 karat gold handmade with turquoise The total weight with everything is 80 g so I’m assuming The total weight alone is between 60 and 70 g i’m going to take it to one more place to confirm for sure

I'm with niffler on the stone being amazonite instead of turquoise and it might have even come from here in Colorado. The stone that is. Looks real 1970s to me.

Well finally got it looked at by the other person it turned out to be 16k

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back