14k diamond ring. can anyone tell the ctw?

ATpro5

Jan 4, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster,At Pro,Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Local yardsale find. Size 4 1/2. 14k gold. Can anyone tell a approx ctw by the picture? And a approx value? Thanks. Will reveal buy price after a few opinions! I believe it to be a good buy! SubstandardFullSizeRender.jpg

Upvote 1

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weight from a picture, certainly not, it would need to be measured very precisely to get a "rough estimate" on it's weight.
Here some calculations. As you can see here, a half mm in length, weight goes up 25%. (from 1 C to 1.25 C)
Marquise, navette Diamond carat size chart. How big are carat sizes

Value, certainly not from a picture, quality has a lot to do with that, as much as 400% difference in stones of the same size.

And what it would cost in a store is a lot different than what a person would get for one "used".

If you got it for about the value of the gold you did good, if you paid much more....well just take it to a jewelry store, pawn shop, coin store etc, and see what they offer you.

In reality it doesn't matter what others think, if you think you got a good deal, then you did, and that's all that really matters.

OP
OP
ATpro5

ATpro5

Jan 4, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weight from a picture, certainly not, it would need to be measured very precisely to get a "rough estimate" on it's weight.
Here some calculations. As you can see here, a half mm in length, weight goes up 25%. (from 1 C to 1.25 C)
Marquise, navette Diamond carat size chart. How big are carat sizes

Value, certainly not from a picture, quality has a lot to do with that, as much as 400% difference in stones of the same size.

And what it would cost in a store is a lot different than what a person would get for one "used".

If you got it for about the value of the gold you did good, if you paid much more....well just take it to a jewelry store, pawn shop, coin store etc, and see what they offer you.

In reality it doesn't matter what others think, if you think you got a good deal, then you did, and that's all that really matters.

Thanks for the detailed information rick! 125 for the ring is a good deal for the ring in my opinion. In your opinion what would you think?

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No , As Rick already mentioned - no one can tell from a picture what it is you have there . Take it to 2 or 3 jewelers in your area - see what
the consensus is , you'll get a set of parameters about value and the "4 C's " pertaining to diamond evaluation - Carat , Cut , Clarity , Color .

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most jewelers will take a look at it no charge - they usually cant give you a total weight without removing the stones though
Ive found many diamonds in my 39 yrs of detecting - Id say the center stone is either a 1/4 or 1/3 carat (Im leaning towards 1/3) at the most
but it could be 1/2 - tough with pics (may be 1 carat total)

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you did good. Hope the jewelers confirm that for you.

OP
OP
ATpro5

ATpro5

Jan 4, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most jewelers will take a look at it no charge - they usually cant give you a total weight without removing the stones though
Ive found many diamonds in my 39 yrs of detecting - Id say the center stone is either a 1/4 or 1/3 carat (Im leaning towards 1/3) at the most
but it could be 1/2 - tough with pics (may be 1 carat total)

Thanks casper. I was leaning torwards the 1/3-1/2 center stone also. Compared it to a 1/4 stone I have. I was hoping on a 1 ctw also but I'm guessing it could be less. But definately between 3/4 and 1. I'll have it checked out either tomorrow or Monday and will post the results

OP
OP
ATpro5

ATpro5

Jan 4, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread