14K Gold Cameo ring

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
thumbnail (5).jpg thumbnail (4).jpg thumbnail (2).jpg thumbnail (3).jpg

Squeaked This one out as it was getting dark. Very Very low water, wind howling in the best direction possible, If I had a headlamp I could have stayed another hour and a half. A solid 15 on my equinox about 8" deep. Two hours in a tumbler cleaned it up nice. Marked 14K. I hope you can see the cameo cut into the stone, it looks red or mahogany color. I have no idea what the stone could be.

Upvote 34

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!!!! Congrats!!!!!

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations ..14 k recovery is time well spent

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thats a real keeper.....got to be older than newer !! Congratulations on such a great ring !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carnelian was a popular stone for cameos....just guessing though !!

OP
OP
mike b

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Wow thats a real keeper.....got to be older than newer !! Congratulations on such a great ring !!

.At this beach finds can range from 1800's to present although it hasn't been a common beach for swimming since the 1960's. I'm there all the time and since 2007 have only seen two people actually in the water. I've never heard of a stone called Carnelian, ill look it up, thanks.

OP
OP
mike b

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Very nice intaglio ring. The stone may be bloodstone. (?) Gary

Thank you Gary. Looking up a few suggestion's from here I'm sure that is is an "Intaglio" ring like you said and the stone is "Carnelian" ( Thank you Blak Bart for the Carnelian idea).

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Gary. Looking up a few suggestion's from here I'm sure that is is an "Intaglio" ring like you said and the stone is "Carnelian" ( Thank you Blak Bart for the Carnelian idea).

Its not intaglio... its a cameo... and IMO maybe a mourning ring as I stated.

IT could very well be glass... and probably is.,, FOR its shows not only in color... but the "pressed look" as well. And does not even resemble carnelian NOR bloodstone.

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a beauty!

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful ring! Looks old. Congrats!

OP
OP
mike b

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Its not intaglio... its a cameo... and its a mourning ring as I stated.

IT could very well be glass... and probably is.,, FOR its shows not only in color... but the "pressed look" as well. ( I only say "could" due to T-net rules etc)
(and would be willing to bet on it)

And does not even resemble carnelian NOR bloodstone... even remotely.

I went with Intaglio ring and carnelian stone for a few reasons. When I look up mourning ring I see that they would normally have dates/names or initials of the person being mourned. This ring has none of those. The image looks Roman or Greek with some kind of leaves woven into the hair on top front and down the side of the head over the ear. I guess it could be an image of a loved one but the style to me would be of hundreds of years ago. So far as the "stone" goes comparing it to close up images online its pretty close, and I have it in my hand looking at it. Would a "Mourning" ring have a piece of pressed glass with a stock image ? Seems like a lot of trouble to make a mold in reverse and press molten glass instead or carving a stone. Looking up Intaglio rings, very similar rings to the one I have come up with the carnelian stone. I'm not an expert with jewelry at all but I'm not selling it and what I mostly care about is the 14K stamped in it.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went with Intaglio ring and carnelian stone for a few reasons. When I look up mourning ring I see that they would normally have dates/names or initials of the person being mourned. This ring has none of those. The image looks Roman or Greek with some kind of leaves woven into the hair on top front and down the side of the head over the ear. I guess it could be an image of a loved one but the style to me would be of hundreds of years ago. So far as the "stone" goes comparing it to close up images online its pretty close, and I have it in my hand looking at it. Would a "Mourning" ring have a piece of pressed glass with a stock image ? Seems like a lot of trouble to make a mold in reverse and press molten glass instead or carving a stone. Looking up Intaglio rings, very similar rings to the one I have come up with the carnelian stone. I'm not an expert with jewelry at all but I'm not selling it and what I mostly care about is the 14K stamped in it.

I was gonna ask you if it had anything else marked...
And yes the image is Greek or Roman.

It could be carved... just has the look of pressed.
Carnelian rarely / seldom is that color... and not generally desired as "black".

I thought at first it was a piece of Volcanic Glass... which would bring it way up there on the cool level in my book but again that pressed look... I cannot see from pics that well.

Finally... when one looks at these... "cameos and intaglios"... remember the rule... Cameo = out... Intaglio = in... this is the main way to tell the difference,.. now I know it is mislabeled all over the internet... but this IS the rule.

Oh... and the 14k stamp shows me the date of this is more towards modern... and it may be a "rendition piece".... meaning a rendition of a mourning piece or some other.... Victorian perhaps.

There are several knowledgeable members here... maybe someone else will pipe in on their thoughts on this.

Best of luck.

PS... I will do a few searches on it later.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After a few searches I did see some black / dark carnelian rings that resemble the look of yours... IN mourning ring search.

So its possible and cannot be ruled out by me SO... heres what to do... take a loupe and look into it with strong light behind it... perfectly clear OR tiny bubbles... glass...

Stone structure... fractures etc... Stone. (this is just a preliminary rule and not definitive)

Simple right :)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread