SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

This seemingly rare medal has become available at a local auction house. My research indicates it was crafted by jewelers 'The Bailey, Banks, & Biddle Company'. The medal was awarded to nine officers of the Army and Marine Corps who commanded outstanding Civilian Conservation Corps companies. It was awarded to the recipient by General Douglas MacArthur in Washington, D.C., on Thanksgiving Day, November 30, 1933. The medal is 1 1/4" wide. The wingspan of the 14k gold eagle at the top is 1 1/2". I don't believe the ribbon is original, as literature I can find indicates the ribbon should be forest green with two brown stripes. At any rate, here are the photos. Any idea of value before I go bid? Thank you very much.
medal2.jpg medal.jpg

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it marked 14k on it?

OP
OP
SDIceMan

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was not marked that I could see, although I only handled it briefly prior to submitting an absentee bid last night. The auction house guarantees that items presented as gold are legit, and my research indicates that the medals were crafted of solid 14k. Unfortunately, I heard this morning that I was outbid on my absentee bid of $600. Not sure if I was even in the ballpark with that figure, but I might be able to find out the sold price today when I stop by the auction house to pick up my deposit. Thank you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread