$15 Receiver For Two Gold Chinese Panda Coins

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
I bought a really nice vintage Marantz 2275 receiver at a thrift store for $15.00. More information about this unit can be found here:

http://www.classicaudio.com/value/mz/2275.html

2275.jpg

This thing retailed for $650.00 in the mid-70's. I was going to have it serviced and replace all the lights and dial pointer, but it worked perfectly. Even had the Walnut case. This thing sounded really sweet. They are supposed to be the closest thing you can get to an warm old "tube amp sound".

I was going to flip it for around $300, but a friend of mine really wanted to buy it to play his vinyl records. He was short on cash so I asked if they had any scrap jewelry for trade. His wife breaks out two pieces and I swapped for them. Now I don't have to drive back and forth to the tech or pack this 45 pound monster up and ship it.

I got two 5 Yuan (1/20 troy ounce 1.55 grams 24k) Chinese Gold Panda coins set in the jewelry from the years 1989 and 1991. One is set in a bent up 14k ring, the other is in a 14k bracelet. The bracelet isn't damaged. Scrap price would be around $415.00 for the total weight of both pieces w/coins.

I want to get these coins out of these bezels and scrap the 14k. Before now, the only gold coin I had was a 1945 Mexican Dos Pesos so I'm pretty happy about the whole deal. I think I made out alright.

Does anyone know how to remove coins from these bezels? I don't want to go to a jeweler, and I don't want to scratch them all up removing them myself. The one in the ring looks like there may be some sort of adhesive involved.

pandas1.jpg

pandas2.jpg

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might be worth it to take to a jeweler to remove them--at least see what they would charge to do it. It looks like they would just need to bend the tabs up on the back, but they have the right tools to do it so the coins won't get dinged and scratched. Good luck and those coins look awesome!

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I've heard you can thread a piece of dental floss underneath the tabs that hold the coin in & bend them up enough to use another tool to finish the job. Never tried it myself though.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agre with the jeweler, my guy would probably charge me about $20 to remove those coins. It is a pretty easy task as long as you have the correct tools. I love the Marantz. I need to get me a nice turntable to go with my Luxman 1050 receiver that I have. I've been using some low end Fisher from the early 90's. Nice score on the Panda coins and gold.

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Well, I got the one out of the ring OK, but I slightly bent the one in the bracelet. :(

It has been relegated to the scrap gold bag.

Oh well, I still have twice as many gold coins as I did yesterday. Thanks for the advice fellas. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
diggummup said:
I need to get me a nice turntable to go with my Luxman 1050 receiver that I have. I've been using some low end Fisher from the early 90's. Nice score on the Panda coins and gold.

I'm sure you will eventually come across a quality turntable the way you find stuff. (your moniker is appropriate :)) You need to get those Celestions hummin' brother.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread