$1500, five silver: better than a jab with a sharp stick, I guess!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Over the last few months I've been asking, whenever I'm in a bank, whether they have any half dollars. Often the answer is no, or seven, or some other small amount. On a couple occasions, little old ladies had just brought some in ($140, in one case) and I bought them on the spot. This way, I've picked the occasional silver, mostly 40%ers with a couple 1964. I decided to go hardcore and ordered $500 boxes from three different banks. They were all delivered within a week and I quickly looked them over. First box: nothing. The second box, from a different bank and identical box, I got these five 40% and one of the President dollars. Third box: nothing. I'm in the process now of getting them back into my various accounts, using coin machines. It was an interesting process with disappointing results. But, as my title suggests, five silvers is better than nothing!

Attachments

• halfrolls.jpg
    halfrolls.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 110
Upvote 0

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Out of a small sample size, that's just about an average result. TBH, you're lucky you didn't get skunked on three! Over the longer term, I find that I average a little under three silvers per box. Never had a presidential dollar mixed in with any of mine though.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
2 silvers per box was what I found last year. Seems to average a little lower this year, so 5 out of 3 boxes seems reasonable. However bear in mind that those are averages - more likely you'll have multiple skunk boxes followed by a great box

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
last 10 boxes= 1 AU/MS '63 Ben and 6 40%'ers, + a clad proof '76. 2 boxes coming today. HH

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over the last few months I've been asking, whenever I'm in a bank, whether they have any half dollars. Often the answer is no, or seven, or some other small amount. On a couple occasions, little old ladies had just brought some in ($140, in one case) and I bought them on the spot. This way, I've picked the occasional silver, mostly 40%ers with a couple 1964. I decided to go hardcore and ordered $500 boxes from three different banks. They were all delivered within a week and I quickly looked them over. First box: nothing. The second box, from a different bank and identical box, I got these five 40% and one of the President dollars. Third box: nothing. I'm in the process now of getting them back into my various accounts, using coin machines. It was an interesting process with disappointing results. But, as my title suggests, five silvers is better than nothing!

There is a reason why this hobby is not for everyone. If every box had silver then everyone and their mothers would be CRH. Just keep at it and eventually you will have an awesome box with a good score. The only question is do you have the patience to keep at it?

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
There is a reason why this hobby is not for everyone. If every box had silver then everyone and their mothers would be CRH. Just keep at it and eventually you will have an awesome box with a good score. The only question is do you have the patience to keep at it?
patienc

Oh, I have the patience. When I was a kid, my brothers and I searched thousands of rolls of pennies for wheat; halves are a piece of cake!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions