16" TROMMEL BUILD INSPIRED BY AZVIPER

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Rock Nose and sniffer belly
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I have started gathering supplies to begin my trommel build. I'll post a link to AZ's thread which is my inspiration for this build but I'm also planning a different style. I'll be using easily obtainable parts so that rebuilding in the event of failure is possible without fabricating new parts. I'm thinking that at eight foot long I'm going to just turn this thing into a small trailer or build it on a small trailer so that I can also haul the extra gear and make the weekend trips a little more do-able. I will be using one of the two roto-tillers for the gear reduction and I am contemplating using a tubed rubber tire as a drive wheel instead of running a full gear ring on the beast. I will probably still use roller blade wheels for the cylinder rotation but I am probably going to use four on bottom and four on top to lock the cylinder into place so the tire doesn't knock the cylinder up off the bearing wheels.

I'm also hoping that I can get my hands on a claim soon and I'll also be using my father's back-hoe to stockpile dirt, move tailing piles, and create a reclamation pond. Anyway this is the start of a long slow winter because money is tight. We just bought a new house and I'm scrimping more than usual. I'm hoping to build a new 12" sluice box but I might just have to extend my current 10" box. Like AZ I'm hoping to use gold hog mating but that's only if I can afford it. Most likely I'll run my rifles and miners moss first followed by another 3' of box with the gold hog mat I currently have. So enough of this for now. I'll add photos here and link AZ's thread.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/gold-prospecting/364420-12-inch-trommel-build.html
20131029_160941.jpg 20131029_160954.jpg 20131029_164257.jpg 20131029_164315.jpg 20131029_164321.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Doitlaynstyle

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey guys,
This is from Sunday the 4th.

This was on an IGPA club Claim called "Miss Lucy". At one point I had about 14 people standing around the trommel gawking and feeding and playing with it LOL. I was just like a proud PAPA. The kids got to take three four-wheeler rides plus riding to and from the dig site to the trommel as we ran 25 bucket loads/runs. The four wheeler could only drag that many buckets around.

Last edited:

SLNugget

Sep 25, 2013
Morristown, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey guys,
This is from Sunday the 4th.

Video Link: http://youtu.be/EfmtqJRIqNM

This was on an IGPA club Claim called "Miss Lucy". At one point I had about 14 people standing around the trommel gawking and feeding and playing with it LOL. I was just like a proud PAPA. The kids got to take three four-wheeler rides plus riding to and from the dig site to the trommel as we ran 25 bucket loads/runs. The four wheeler could only drag that many buckets around.
Looks real good. I would weld some round stock around the top edge of the hopper to eliminate that edge. If you got 1gram from 100 buckets that ground is roughly 20 bucks a cubic yard. Pretty good area I would say. Mucking the tailings buckets is a PITA. We have the same issue with our reverse helix trommel. A conveyer would be cool there. You did an excellent job fabbing your Black Beauty. Congrats!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I'd say that is solid gold proof that you did a good build! Congrats :)

OP
OP
Doitlaynstyle

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'll be naming the winner on the eleventh. That's coming up fast. Get your votes in soon. So far I'm only counting three votes and they are all different. I'm excited to send this bag of dirt out to some lucky prospector.

Justbent

Mar 23, 2013
North Phoenix
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll be naming the winner on the eleventh. That's coming up fast. Get your votes in soon. So far I'm only counting three votes and they are all different. I'm excited to send this bag of dirt out to some lucky prospector.
"Black Beauty"

polekaat

Jan 5, 2006
Ramah, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II
Technetics G2+
5" keene dredge
2 1/2" keene highbanker/dredge combo
Keene A-52 sluice
4 Stack Deluxe Gold Cube
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think you should call her the "Spinster".

Trevor

OP
OP
Doitlaynstyle

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ya that's cuz I named her BLACK BETTY. But since I'm already in the gold I can't win the bag. So I'm having a vote for the second best name from the list and that person will still get a bag of paydirt.

Justbent

Mar 23, 2013
North Phoenix
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Ya that's cuz I named her BLACK BETTY. But since I'm already in the gold I can't win the bag. So I'm having a vote for the second best name from the list and that person will still get a bag of paydirt.
Then I vote for The ClayEater.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm login' The Spinster....very cool/creative and funny :)

OP
OP
Doitlaynstyle

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok guys, sorry it took so long to get back on here. I had to do a tally from here and since I didn't get many votes I also took votes from friends, family and co-workers. The winner is AZVIPER with the name DIRT HOG. I'll be keeping her named BLACK BETTY but that is the name that came in second. AZ I'll need you to pm me with your address so I can ship you your prize. Because I took so long to get to it I decided to do a ten bucket run this weekend and I'll be mailing you the concentrates.

Thank you everyone for your insight and words of encouragement during the build. If you are personally interested in owning this beast I have decided to go ahead and put her up for sale so I can build more. Send me a PM. I loved doing the build and I think that gold mining equipment might just be my niche. Until she sells though I'll be running her to get more of that beautiful AU. Attached it's a pic of a 150 bucket run from this fathers day weekend.

A special thanks to Doc at Gold Hog for your help in deciding the mat to use and how to run it. Everyone is blown away when they see the super fine gold that this stuff catches. No other riffle system could possibly do this well. The gold that I used to miss actually floats on water so it's amazing to have a setup that catches it all.

AT THIS POINT I'LL CONSIDER THIS THREAD CLOSED BUT I'LL LOOK FORWARD TO ANY COMMENTS THAT YOU ALL MAY HAVE.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140616_064318.png
    ForumRunner_20140616_064318.png
    233 KB · Views: 107

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow... I hope that con your sending me looks like your pan of gold cause I will be disappointed if not, LOL. I will PM you tonight. Picking up my powder coated trommel on Friday. I totally forgot about your contest.

Dirt Hog.png

Last edited:

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Congrats keith. That's a darn good name!

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Congrats on the trommel and to AZV for the win.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok guys, sorry it took so long to get back on here. I had to do a tally from here and since I didn't get many votes I also took votes from friends, family and co-workers. The winner is AZVIPER with the name DIRT HOG. I'll be keeping her named BLACK BETTY but that is the name that came in second. AZ I'll need you to pm me with your address so I can ship you your prize. Because I took so long to get to it I decided to do a ten bucket run this weekend and I'll be mailing you the concentrates.

Thank you everyone for your insight and words of encouragement during the build. If you are personally interested in owning this beast I have decided to go ahead and put her up for sale so I can build more. Send me a PM. I loved doing the build and I think that gold mining equipment might just be my niche. Until she sells though I'll be running her to get more of that beautiful AU. Attached it's a pic of a 150 bucket run from this fathers day weekend.

A special thanks to Doc at Gold Hog for your help in deciding the mat to use and how to run it. Everyone is blown away when they see the super fine gold that this stuff catches. No other riffle system could possibly do this well. The gold that I used to miss actually floats on water so it's amazing to have a setup that catches it all.

AT THIS POINT I'LL CONSIDER THIS THREAD CLOSED BUT I'LL LOOK FORWARD TO ANY COMMENTS THAT YOU ALL MAY HAVE.

None sense... you can't close the book on this build, sure it will get buried but its back buddy. I received a package today and I know whats inside, gold from Idaho processed through the 16" trommel. Now you got my interest sparked again. I will have to drag out the classifiers and see what I got. Thanks Layn...

OP
OP
Doitlaynstyle

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Keith,
I can't wait to see what you find in those concentrates. That material came out of virgin ground and I'm looking forward to seeing what's in it so u can determine whether our not to keep digging there. Guess I'll keep the thread open for now. Looking forward to seeing some gold come out of your build as well.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Keith,
I can't wait to see what you find in those concentrates. That material came out of virgin ground and I'm looking forward to seeing what's in it so u can determine whether our not to keep digging there. Guess I'll keep the thread open for now. Looking forward to seeing some gold come out of your build as well.

I totally forgot about that USPS box. Its beside my couch. I will pan the material tomorrow as I have all the gear in my trailer now. Thanks for reminding me. I have so much going on I totally spaced out I had the con. My youngest son received the package and set iy on the side of the couch out of sight. Thank you for reminding me, now I have something exciting to do tomorrow other than make repairs to all the flood damage Tucson got yesterday.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread