ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hummm, I think there was an exploration lease down that way, I'm not sure.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
What year did "La Concepcion" sink?

OP
OP
Chagy

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
salvor 6 said:
What year did "La Concepcion" sink?

1641 its the one found by Burt Webber in 1978

OP
OP
Chagy

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
SEAHUNTER said:
Hi Chagy
Any idea where in Florida the ships went down?
Seahunter

Well my good friend that is the question...Where?

I was reading the "Armada Espanola" by Fernandez Duro at the end of each volume he wrote a list of shipwrecks I like to ake notes of every shipwreck I find as I was going trough the information I read about a few wrecks of the 1641 New Spain fleet it said that one wrecked in the Abrojo shoals, one wrecked in Cuba, one in Isla Santa Catalina and 5 broke into pieces in the coast of Florida.....I prosided to look for information on the hurricane in "Hurricanes of the Caribbean" by Carlos Millas and it referred me back to "Armada Espanola" vol 4 pag336 where I found more information and the name of the vessels....

Capitan Santisimo Sacramento
Almiranta Consepcion (wreck in Abrojo shoals today silver shoals)
Galeon San Antonio
Rosario
Candelaria
Nao Santa Ana (wrecked in Cuba)
San Jose
Nuestra Senora de la Pena de Francia(made it to Cuba)
Patache Presa

Then I realised that it was the same Cosepcion found by Burt Webber. I know that Jack Haskins made an extensive research for Webber on this fleet so I prosided to contact Webber to see what he could tell me on the subject......And this is what he said;

Luis,
With regard to the lost ships of the 1641 New Spain Fleet (of which the "N.S. Concepcion" was Almiranta), here again, in books like Potter's, reference is made to some of these ships being lost off of the Florida Coast which is very questionable. I nor any other professional researchers that I know have acquired any documentation to substantiate this. The extensive research as was done on the "Concepcion" provided a lot of testimonies, particularly that of Admiral Don Juan Villavicencio who indicated that they were well out of the "Bahama Canal" when the hurricane struck. I believe that most of these ships were lost due to foundering in deep water. Of course, the "Concepcion" having survived, made her way alone, headed for Puerto Rico, not being able to head south to return to Havana because of the northerly flow of the Gulf Stream. Because of the condition of the galleon and bad navigation she ultimately wrecked on the Abrojos (today Silver Shoals) north of Hispaniola.

If you want to discuss any of this, give me a call.

Burt

In other words its still a mistery......the information provided by Fernandez Duro came directly from the archives Coleccion Navarrete, t. VII, num. 23 & Coleccion de Jesuitas, t. CI, num. 28.......I wonder if Haskins went over these....

All the best,

Chagy........

BROTHER SCHONNO

Feb 17, 2017
Santiago, Chile
Detector(s) used
FISCHER M-SCOPE, AQUANAUT 1280X, GARRET 2500 + EAGLE EYE.
MAGNOMETERS OF SESIUN STEAM AND PROTONS
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Chagy: The percent of cargo and treasure in Las Flotas de Indias was: La Nave Capitana 46,5%, La Nave Almiranta 32,5% and
The "galeones" 21%. So, all the ships of a fleet carried treasure. Get the books of Mr. Mr. Clarence Henry HARING about this mater.
Rgds. Mario GUISANDE, Brother Schonno, Naval Historian, Chilean Navy.

creatmosfairy

Aug 29, 2008
Hello!

Mr. Claudio Bonifacio(user vox veritas) told in his book:
Galleons and sunken treasure , published 2010 at
page 157: this fleet were all about 31 ships and
at page: 159 four of this ships wrecked at the coast of Florida and three sank at the high sea.

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old thread, but the 1641 fleet is very interesting. One ship of the fleet (Concepcion) wound up almost in the Dominican Republic.

Another made it, dismasted and leaking, to St. Augustine...

St. Aug. 1641 Fleet distribution  document.png 1641, 2.png

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Jolly Mon, There was an old thread that you had posted on regarding the 1641 fleet. I think the Hobbit started the thread. Perhaps, we can link that old thread to this one.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
:headbang:Aquanut and Salvor6,
John after speaking with you on the last night. I think you may be right. I remember talking to someone whose Father worked on a certain island in Georgia. He was telling me about several hundred Spanish Cobbs that they uncovered by accident.

I remember reading something on the internet a few years ago about a ship that was sunk in very shallow water a few miles from shore that may be what you are looking for. There are also some wrecks further off shore. I'll send you a copy of the map when I get finished with radiation treatment later this afternoon. I'll include the name of the Island when I scan everything to you. Tell Pete not to Brag about this one. lol.

Attachments

• 11722521_10153469887814452_8651668818249760922_o.jpg
    11722521_10153469887814452_8651668818249760922_o.jpg
    496 KB · Views: 157

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions