1652 Massachusetts Pine Tree Threepence and more from virgin 1660 homesite!

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
What an incredible day at a 1660 virgin homesite in Massachusetts! My first find was a huge Brown Bess musket ball. Nice way to get the day started. My next target was the best find of the day, and one of my best finds ever, a 1652 Pine Tree Threepence! It's either a Noe 36 or a Noe 37 variety. Unfortunately the tree side is tough to make a definitive call. Either way, it's well over a $1000 coin��. Then came a sweet George I Farthing. Next find was an Abraham Lincoln related thing, not sure what it is yet. Right next to that was a colonial gold broach. After an early ox knob and a a bale seal came a great goulcher lock or dog lock off a musket or rifle. All in all, a fantastic day!

Thank you Dr. R.M. Gramly for the tip on the location!

Updates:
The Pine Tree Threepence is a Noe 36/Salmon 2-B, Rarity 4, only 75-200 known!
The "dog lock" was actually just part of an old cap gun, darn!
The Lincoln item is a ferrotype campaign button from the 1860 election :)

18343f66-3187-46a7-9793-6891b39c48c0.jpg 36713acf-5b98-4270-934c-2bc97d0b9371.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    331.8 KB · Views: 583
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    391.7 KB · Views: 549
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    397.1 KB · Views: 550
  • pt1.jpeg
    pt1.jpeg
    517.3 KB · Views: 391
  • pt2.jpeg
    pt2.jpeg
    382.2 KB · Views: 404
  • pt3.jpeg
    pt3.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 362
  • kg1.jpeg
    kg1.jpeg
    240.9 KB · Views: 349
  • al.jpeg
    al.jpeg
    522.3 KB · Views: 357
  • hh.jpeg
    hh.jpeg
    458.4 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_3025.JPG
    IMG_3025.JPG
    261.8 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_3027.JPG
    IMG_3027.JPG
    257.8 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_3032.JPG
    IMG_3032.JPG
    194.4 KB · Views: 342
  • doglock.jpeg
    doglock.jpeg
    575.6 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:
Upvote 83

Fugio

Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Legend, AT Pro, Garret Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1652 Massachusetts Threepence is a bucket list coin for sure. Not to mention all of your other wonderful finds...keep it up!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
That is an incredible set of finds. Congrats, and WOW!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Many congrats Jason for adding another tree coin to your collection. Like they say, if there's one, there may be more. Good luck!

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
STELLAR HUNT OX!!!!!!! I found the same prez token awhile back. A TRUE HEARTBREAKER!!!!! CONGRATZ on the stunning SILVER!!!!!!!

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner day for sure, not only for the pine tree threepence but also for the colonial gold broach. I know the collector value of the pine tree is diminished by its wear, but one has to be impressed by the length of time that coin was in circulation--perhaps 100 years or more?

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Banner day for sure, not only for the pine tree threepence but also for the colonial gold broach. I know the collector value of the pine tree is diminished by its wear, but one has to be impressed by the length of time that coin was in circulation--perhaps 100 years or more?

Thanks, terpfan.

The threepence was probably lost relatively soon after minting, as there is still areas of high relief and good detail. Very few of these were struck strongly on both sides because of the rocker press technology and the extreme thinness of the planchet. It was probably a later coin, because of the widened die, unless its the Noe 37.
The gold brooch was definitely a surprise!

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll post a pic of my three Mass silvers together later. This is my second Pine Tree Threepence, the other one was a quarter cut from shilling.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Stellar hunt oxbow! That little brooch is just beautiful and I know from reading how rare those old threepence are.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible day all the way dude :thumbsup: What an amazing site. Looking forward to seeing what else turns up there. That hammer and lock plate look thin and the plate actually looks pewter... makes me wonder if that's part of a toy musket or something. Mind blowing hunt, my vote is in :occasion14:

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Incredible day all the way dude :thumbsup: What an amazing site. Looking forward to seeing what else turns up there. That hammer and lock plate look thin and the plate actually looks pewter... makes me wonder if that's part of a toy musket or something. Mind blowing hunt, my vote is in :occasion14:

I thought the same. It looked similar to civil war musket lock plates, but I'm not an expert on dating muskets by any means, just a thought I had. Either way it's really cool!

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a day . Congrats

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you got yourself some great dirt to work. Value doesn't matter so much on the Pine Tree Threepence as the fact that you found one. Great going.

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other

I believe it is pewter, which is really unusual. The closest match I could find is a Civil War Springfield rifle, but Dr. Gramly had some very old rare books with similar looking dog locks from the late 1500's-1650's. That would make sense at this site given the family history. I'll send pictures to a battlefield archaeologist I met at the ASAA meeting on Saturday. I'll keep you guys updated as I learn more about it.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 37 was a reengraved 36, hard to tell the difference unless they are in higher grades. It's most likely a Noe 36, since they were more common with a R4 rarity vs a R5.

Well that's cool it was the same die.... better than poor condition and not having any idea. It's too bad it was reengraved, and not just altered slightly, because if altered I assume it would be... Noe-36 & Noe-36a ... and then you would be able to just say.... 36! (and get away with it for the most part)

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Well that's cool it was the same die.... better than poor condition and not having any idea. It's too bad it was reengraved, and not just altered slightly, because if altered I assume it would be... Noe-36 & Noe-36a ... and then you would be able to just say.... 36! (and get away with it for the most part)

There is still some dirt stuck on the back, if I can safely loosen it up, maybe a little more detail will become apparent and I'll be able to nail down the ID. There is a big difference between a R4 and R5 coin, so it would be sweet if its a Noe 37. I'm happy to add it to my collection no matter what. Now I just need a 2-pence, 6-pence, Willow Tree and NE. Sounds doable, right?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is still some dirt stuck on the back, if I can safely loosen it up, maybe a little more detail will become apparent and I'll be able to nail down the ID. There is a big difference between a R4 and R5 coin, so it would be sweet if its a Noe 37. I'm happy to add it to my collection no matter what. Now I just need a 2-pence, 6-pence, Willow Tree and NE. Sounds doable, right?

In my previous post I sort of suggested it's too bad it was not just altered, but being reengraved no doubt gives a much better chance for ID. What you do is find a high grade example of each 36 and 37 and note all the small differences.... and then you only have to find one example on your coin to prove your coin. It may be possible.

2-pence, 6-pence, Willow Tree and NE..... Doable? I doubt it... time to work with, hell yeah!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread