1659 Lima Star

Aug 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This cob came from the Jupiter wreck, I bought it from "Capt. Dom". At the time I was first officer aboard the Pacific Provider, 4 years ago. I bought a few coins the day I bought this one. This coin came as a golf ball size lump of shells and sand.
Recently I hooked the lump up to a electrolysis kit. Hours and hours later this is what I have. Any advice on value or how to sell this thing would be welcome.
Thank you in advance,
IMG_3099.JPG IMG_3100.JPG

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Welcome to Treasure Net !!
If you intend to sell it, I suggest you give it to Sedwick to auction. His is quite familiar with this coin. You have what Sedwick describes as a Series 1a, Lima Star 8R (1659). It is distinctive wiith the V on one side of the pillars (V for the assayer, Villegas) and an 8 on the other side-for its denomination. The Series 1b has both a V and an 8 on each outer side of the columns. The value of this coin will be determined, in part, by the story that goes with it--which is most interesting. Sedwick also places a range of anticiipated bids in his catalogs. I believe he will even give you an estimate range of value for your coin.
Years ago, I, too, worked that wreck site with Lou Ullian and Dave Horner from my boat the 'R/V Explorer'.
Don.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread