Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys well I was supposed to go hunting today but my son got sent home sick from school, so I decided to try and clean some of the coppers I found in Pa. before I left for missouri, I have over 50 coppers sitting in olive oil, many were unidentifiable, I used electrolosis on some today really didnt work out well :), I also have some I can see what they are but have now idea where from?? any ideas guys?
There was one coin I thought was a very worn u.s. half cent but after I got the crude off it turned out to be a 1697 william III coin my oldest DATED so far :) yeah baby!! jd

Attachments

• Picture 366a.JPG
    Picture 366a.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 520
  • Picture 385a.JPG
    Picture 385a.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 518
Upvote 0
C

Copper

j.d., I've cleaned thousands of bronze & silver ancient coins found by detectorists in Europe and mailed to me totally uncleaned. I no longer do this as the ancient coin market has gone so low that it's no longer worth it for me.

I think I've tried every cleaning method in the book and I invented a few myself.

I have never worked on coins of the type you show here. I may watch ebay and try to find some uncleaned to experiment on. I think I can clean them and make MOST of them look nice.

I enjoy experimenting with chemicals and methodologies.

Take care and happy hunting.

Attachments

• uncleans.jpg
    uncleans.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 313

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hey J.D. Those are some sick finds man. That is one old coin. We have alot of colonial stuff found around here. I haven't found any 1700's coppers yet. Most of my spots are mid 1800's and up. Hard to get the time with my kids to travel out of the city to were I know of some old spots. Good going man I love to see old stuff.

Good Luck Jeremy.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess on the one with the hole in it would be a "token" and not a coin (guess only) but a lot of old 1800s tokens had holes dead center.

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
HOW AWESOME nice finds,I have yet to find such coins.Got to be some in East TN.the history is.HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions