Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found my first silver of the year in a big way this afternoon and its a bucketlister too. 1698 Potosi 2 Reales Spanish cob. My first reale larger than a 1. Found it on a mostly sandy bottom area of one of my water spots that tends to really eat up coppers and even this silver somewhat. Its only 4.6 grams but still larger than any of my other cobs. Still looks great to me though

Attachments

• 9A2D130D-32C1-460D-B1DD-AB7CFDD1C87B.jpeg
    9A2D130D-32C1-460D-B1DD-AB7CFDD1C87B.jpeg
    775.4 KB · Views: 188
  • EE4470B0-A1DE-4236-A874-A8C5C937E8F1.jpeg
    EE4470B0-A1DE-4236-A874-A8C5C937E8F1.jpeg
    877.2 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Upvote 67

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HolyMoly and no one voted Banner I dont know about everyone else but I would need a gigantic diaper if I found that. Thats freakin so cool. I mean 1600s jeeeze awesome find I vote Banner Ill tell ya in my world a silver dollar is banner finding that would be Triple banner for me Good job great way to start 2020

Seriously get me a diaper too when you make the order Tommy! This find is amazing Toasted!!! I think you find more cobs than anyone on here! I'm voting banner too because this is just plain awesome! Toasted... if you haven't look up "Potosi Silver Mining" and you will find that your coin came from some of the most brutal conditions known to man. There's a famous piece of art depicting the mining that is a really interesting image of slaves inside a hollowed out mountian mining silver. Something like 8 million people died mining silver to make those coins and others. Heavy history there!

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ARRRGGGHHH TREASURE!!!!:blackbeard::skullflag:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice one! Well centered and nice details. My last 2 reale cob weighed 4.98 grams.

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, you set the bar pretty high to top that one this year!

Nicely done...

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seriously get me a diaper too when you make the order Tommy! This find is amazing Toasted!!! I think you find more cobs than anyone on here! I'm voting banner too because this is just plain awesome! Toasted... if you haven't look up "Potosi Silver Mining" and you will find that your coin came from some of the most brutal conditions known to man. There's a famous piece of art depicting the mining that is a really interesting image of slaves inside a hollowed out mountian mining silver. Something like 8 million people died mining silver to make those coins and others. Heavy history there!
I got plenty you ever teach 2 girls how to drive lol finally got smart and switched to pull ups

Last edited:

Tenspeed

Mar 22, 2009
York County, SC
Detector(s) used
Currently: Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Past: XP Deus, Xterra 70, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find!

I hope to find Spanish silver (of any kind) someday.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very interesting about the mine ... sounds treacherous all in the name of silver

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the looks and comments. This big 2 looks so nice compared to all the 1, 1/2 and smaller cobs Ive got

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool find, congrats! :occasion14:

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, very nice!!

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Incredible piece of history! Huge congrats!

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome - a 2R cob in great condition for a salt-water recovery. I tried to hunt water spots up my way, but such sites are unproductive due to loose mud/silt, i.e., the finds are too deep, or too much trash.

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's awesome - a 2R cob in great condition for a salt-water recovery. I tried to hunt water spots up my way, but such sites are unproductive due to loose mud/silt, i.e., the finds are too deep, or too much trash.

Water is brackish so not seawater salt content. Condition of silvers varies greatly and bottom composition has a lot to do with it. Clays preserve the best and sands are the worst with gravelly bottoms somewhere in the middle. I try to avoid silty/muddy areas as hunting them is too messy and as you said finds are probably too deep anyway. Fortunately, there is plenty of harder bottom to hunt and modern trash(minus fishing sinkers) is not a problem.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread