Foster

Foster

Jan 19, 2011
Columbus, ms
Detector(s) used
White's Prism III, White's TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also, the coins I have found on this site are a 1847 large cent and a 1855 half dollar. Plus a large, large brass skeleton key.

OP
OP
Foster

Foster

Jan 19, 2011
Columbus, ms
Detector(s) used
White's Prism III, White's TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any help on this?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
For something that far back, you're lucky just to have plat maps that show a structure was there. Muchless info to tell you exactly what it was. There are vast sections of the united states, where such detail, to even show a black dot, is not even there. Yes, some super old assessors maps, plat maps, etc.... show various black dots where structures, were, I'm guessing that's about as good as you're going to get. You're maybe not going to get some complimentary resource that's going to tell you this was a "store" or a "house" or a "barn", or whatever.

I have heard, that the topographic maps though, ...... the field surveyors that went out to do ground reconn's, kept field notes that ........ to this day ..... are available in archives at the USGS. So while the topo map may only show a black "dot", yet the surveyer may have made notes like "abandoned", or "brick house", or "store", or whatever. But what you're talking about predates topo maps, as topo maps only date to the very late 1800's, as the earliest topos (at least that's the oldest I've seen for CA topos).

Congratz on the old coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions