17 Tons of gold in New Mexico

dheroux

Apr 11, 2010
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTI 2500
Hi

This Treasure has recently peaked my interest and im settin up a search for this summer.I was just wondering where your finding these official summaries from? ???

P.S also was wondering about the pilot two names come up William C. Elliot and Red Moiser Cant find any info on either of them

Thanks

D. Heroux

Peerless67

Jul 26, 2007
ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Eyes, ears and common sense
dheroux said:
Hi

This Treasure has recently peaked my interest and im settin up a search for this summer.I was just wondering where your finding these official summaries from? ???

P.S also was wondering about the pilot two names come up William C. Elliot and Red Moiser Cant find any info on either of them

Thanks

D. Heroux

Hi dheroux, you wont find anything on William C Elliott as he never existed, Red Mosier is not so hard to find since he was head honcho at American Airlines for many years before he retired in the 60s. Personally I do not believe either took part.

Just out of interest where are you going to concerntrate your search ?

:coffee2:
Gary

dheroux

Apr 11, 2010
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTI 2500
Thanks Peerless

Well once i have researched the treasure a little more im hoping on getting out to the Shiprock,Navaho Site with a group of about 10 .Right now im going over a 1934 topo map of the shiprock ,Navaho area it's very well detailed im hoping it will give me some insight.I'm going to be out there during July if everything goes accordingly anyone looking to get there hands dirty are welcome to come along the more people the more land covered.

Also I've heard that this particular treasure could be part of the LUE or is it a coincidence that they were brought in around the same time in the same area?

Thanks

D. Heroux

Attachments

• lue.jpg
    lue.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,103

Peerless67

Jul 26, 2007
ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Also I've heard that this particular treasure could be part of the LUE or is it a coincidence that they were brought in around the same time in the same area?

I doubt it, one is ficticious the other real

Gary

OP
OP
Roadquest

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
D. Heroux

That's a large beautiful area out there. I wish you luck, with you search. If you are going to be on Navajo
land. You will want to get permission to be there. Having that many people with you can attract attention to your activities
The LUE has nothing to do with this.

Clayton :coffee2:

dheroux

Apr 11, 2010
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTI 2500
Hey,

Feeling real good about this search coming up,im waiting for a contact in the civil registry department in mexico to get back to me with some detailed info on Trabuco.Hoping it will lead me to some relatives of his.I'll keep you posted.

:icon_thumleft:
D.Heroux

Peerless67

Jul 26, 2007
ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
dheroux said:
Hey,

Feeling real good about this search coming up,im waiting for a contact in the civil registry department in mexico to get back to me with some detailed info on Trabuco.Hoping it will lead me to some relatives of his.I'll keep you posted.

:icon_thumleft:
D.Heroux

Hi dheroux,
Should be interesting, there was no Don Leon Trabuco.
However Mike stated that a Trabuco played a part as an attorney to the owners.
There was a Trabuco in Southern California at the time who was an attorney, his name was Louis Trabuco (and he was from an Italian family)
Personally I was unable to locate any mention of an attorney called Trabuco in any of my papers, although Trabucco Canyon (2 C's in Trabucco) is mentioned in the paperwork. This is a place in Southern California. If the attorney Mike mentions did play a part then it would come as no big suprise as everyone else was from California too.

Moore Ca Attorney
Hougen Ca Miner/Business man
Clews Ca PR man
Nobel Ca Miner/Business man
Klepper First National Bank California
Stewart Ca Importer/Exporter
Holmdahl Ex US and Mexican Army officer and treasure hunter, home in Ca
Luckey Ca Democratic party leader Friend of Moore and Truman
There were also some other Californian business men involved.

Fountain (Bud) Ca Pilot (stearman can still be seen on the ranch in Ca)
Johnson (Harold) Ca Pilot (ford trimotor) owned an aircraft parts business based in California, same town Holmdahl was from.

If Mike is correct and he took part, then Louis Trabuco (Attorney) was also based in California.

Gary

Peerless67

Jul 26, 2007
ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
On another note the pilot Red Mosier seemed exceedingly busy during the time "the gold was moved from Mexico".
Mosier was the pilot that the most well known 17 tons hunter Ed Foster was responsible for attributing to the story, When Mosier was interviewed before his death he denied playing any part in the story.(although I am not so sure he would have admitted to it if he had anyway) although a quick look at his schedule during the time makes it easy to believe he was a very unlikely candidate.

Mosier was born in Pawnee, OK in 1897 and attended school there, moving later to Austin, TX. His aviation career began with the U.S. Army Signal Corps in 1917. After WWI, he engaged in exhibition flying and barnstorming, semi-professional baseball, and was a high-school football coach. He worked for A.G. Spaulding & Co., the sporting goods manufacturer, until 1927, when he became a test pilot in Colorado Springs, CO.

In 1933, Mosier had married Francys Cox Colcord. He was city manager of Oklahoma City, OK from 1933-1937. He also spent time in Washington, DC as secretary to Senator J.W. Harreld of Oklahoma.

He joined American Airlines in 1938, being coaxed away from his position as vice president and general manager at Braniff Airways in Dallas by then American president C.R. Smith. He moved through the executive ranks at American. In 1952 he was appointed vice president for operations, maintenance and engineering. He became a senior vice president in 1954 and executive vice president in 1958. He was involved in corporate planning until his retirement in 1962.

Up to 1962, Mosier was a company officer for twenty-five years. Based in New York City, he negotiated with New York mayor Fiorello LaGuardia for the first airline lease of terminal space at LaGuardia airport. He took an active part in American's decisions leading to the purchase and use of many of its aircraft.

Mosier passed away in 1967.

dheroux

Apr 11, 2010
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTI 2500
Hi dheroux,
Should be interesting, there was no Don Leon Trabuco.
However Mike stated that a Trabuco played a part as an attorney to the owners.
There was a Trabuco in Southern California at the time who was an attorney, his name was Louis Trabuco (and he was from an Italian family)
Personally I was unable to locate any mention of an attorney called Trabuco in any of my papers, although Trabucco Canyon (2 C's in Trabucco) is mentioned in the paperwork. This is a place in Southern California. If the attorney Mike mentions did play a part then it would come as no big suprise as everyone else was from California too.

Moore Ca Attorney
Hougen Ca Miner/Business man
Clews Ca PR man
Nobel Ca Miner/Business man
Klepper First National Bank California
Stewart Ca Importer/Exporter
Holmdahl Ex US and Mexican Army officer and treasure hunter, home in Ca
Luckey Ca Democratic party leader Friend of Moore and Truman
There were also some other Californian business men involved.

Fountain (Bud) Ca Pilot (stearman can still be seen on the ranch in Ca)
Johnson (Harold) Ca Pilot (ford trimotor) owned an aircraft parts business based in California, same town Holmdahl was from.

If Mike is correct and he took part, then Louis Trabuco (Attorney) was also based in California.

Gary

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Gary,

Wher did you get these names i find no mention of them anywhere?

Thanks

D.Heroux

Peerless67

Jul 26, 2007
ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Gary,

Wher did you get these names i find no mention of them anywhere?

Thanks

D.Heroux

Hi dheroux,

Moore
Hougen
Clews
Nobel
Klepper
Stewart
Holmdahl
Luckey

With the exception of the Apache Jim version all of those names appear in the writen accounts, not all of them always appear together. There are many books and articles availiable.
The only place I know that all of the names listed above appear in a single document is in the LA Times coverage of the Grand Jury hearings in 1952.

The businessmen whose names I did not print were given to me by the son of the man who leased the group the land where the gold was stored. They were also Californian business men.

One of the pilots names, Bud Fountain was also given to me by the same guy. And the runway can still be seen on the land they leased to this day where he used to land his stearman.
I do not believe that the stearman played any part in moving the gold, but was used as transport to and from a very remote place.
The second one Harold Johnson was prefered by myself as a likely 1933 pilot, given that he owned and opperated a ford trimotor out of Van Nuys California. Coincidently ! where Holmdahl was from.
In any event I never did like the Red Mosier version for several reasons, although Ed Foster was probably the most serious 17 tons searcher of all so it can not be completely dismissed.
Having said that I actually spoke with the man who had interviewed Mosier and he told me that Mosier had denied any part in the story.

Other names that do not appear in the stories that may be connected are Pancho Villa and Milton 'Doc' Noss of Victorio Peak fame.
Holdahl was searching for Villas treasure after Villas death, during that time he was at least an aquaintence of Noss.
To be honest anything pre 1950 has to be taken with a pinch of salt and alot of research and filling missing gaps.

If you read this whole thread from the start you will locate the names of all the books and articles writen about about the story.

On a final note you mentioned you were going to NM to hunt for the gold, and I do not wish to put you off of your quest but why have you chosen NM when you have not done any research ? what if it was a red herring like all the Mexican names ? but I wish you the best of luck in your search.

Gary

allenroyboy

Dec 13, 2006
Montana
A dentist from Farmington, who worked a lot with Ed Foster, tells that a son of Trabuco lives or has lived in Farmington for many years.

Peerless67

Jul 26, 2007
ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
allenroyboy said:
A dentist from Farmington, who worked a lot with Ed Foster, tells that a son of Trabuco lives or has lived in Farmington for many years.

Maybe you could EXTRACT some info :laughing7:

No but seriously is that the Mexican Trabuco or the Italian lawyers from California son ?

Gary

Peerless67

Jul 26, 2007
ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Hi ARB,
Although it is possible I think it unlikely. Again its just hearsay.

Where it would be silly to dismiss anything you would suspect at least some of the claims to be validated or at least have some material to back them up.
Many people like to play their cards close to their chest, fair enough. No one should give up what they believe to be good leads or info, but on the other hand if it was so secretive to begin with why even mention it or post on the matter.

One of the worst kept "secrets" is the story of the plane being flown to conger mesa. The gold was then meant to have been moved to a nearby ranch.
Further accounts mention that the caretaker of the ranch moved the gold.
Mike made mention of a 5 gold bar map made by the caretaker that leads to the hiding place.
Purchase (Nick Flemming) claims to have recovered the gold from Wild Horse Mesa in the 90s.
Now considering so many people already know of these stories does it not strike anyone as strange that not one piece of evidence exists to support any of them.

And now we are back to the Trabuco thing, why is there not any evidence of his existence. A wealthy man like that even in Mexico would have left some kind of trace of his existence and yet there is nothing but stories writen about him after the 1952 grand jury hearing and the earliest account I have noted was in Schurmachers book in the 60s.
I know at least one other poster here has the redacted secret service paperwork, and I can tell you that although the names are missing there can be no doubt who they were talking about when the Mexican was mentioned, it was Pancho Villa and the link was through Holmdahl.
The other interesting thing is that the NM link only came about as a result of a quote made by McEachen in 1952 and after that NM or more specifically the 4 corners area became the mainstay of any publication surrounding the story. I will have to dig out the article to get the exact quote but a reporter when questioning McEachen posed a question along the lines of "is the gold in NM" and McEachen replied something along the lines of "thats a possible location"
The same article mentioned that the Secret Service belived the gold was in the LA area within 40 miles of Ontario.
I suspect there is a reason behind wanting the public to believe that the gold was ever in the 4 corners area and also that the gold was flown in prior to the gold enactment. Or it may just be the case that some took the Schurmacher telling as the holy grail.

Gary

allenroyboy

Dec 13, 2006
Montana
Another Ed Foster story goes that Trabuco would show up in Farmington from time to time, hire a plane, fly out to the 4 corners area and back while looking out the window with binoculars. When he'd land he say, "it's still there," and then disappear again. Supposedly, the last time was 1968. Ed's dead now, so there's no way to check it out.

Peerless67

Jul 26, 2007
ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
allenroyboy said:
Another Ed Foster story goes that Trabuco would show up in Farmington from time to time, hire a plane, fly out to the 4 corners area and back while looking out the window with binoculars. When he'd land he say, "it's still there," and then disappear again. Supposedly, the last time was 1968. Ed's dead now, so there's no way to check it out.

Hi ARB, did you get these stories from Ed Foster ?

Gary

OP
OP
Roadquest

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
allenroyboy said:

It's interesting that Trabuco could look out the window of the plane.
And, be able to know for a fact. That the gold was yet there. I would
guess that he had something arranged, in that it had to be moved to get
to it. And if this object was moved. He would there for know.

Clayton :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread