1700 cemetery hunt?

bootey_hunter

Apr 21, 2010
i have a very old cemetery literally walking distance from my house.. est. 1780. i highly doubt any1 visits it on a frequent basis and it is a bit out of view from the nearby road.. my question is besides the obvious moral/ethical aspects.. would this site be a good place to detect? im not saying on top of graves but in the other areas... i know its a cemetery but i just cant help but wonder what might be in the ground in such an old site...

Upvote 0

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Oh no!

Take cover :laughing7:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bootey_hunter said:
im not saying on top of graves but in the other areas..

so whats the hold up ?

I'd definately hunt the areas they Parked
their Limos back then

OP
OP
bootey_hunter

bootey_hunter

Apr 21, 2010
idk i guess im just a bit hesitant... dont want any ghostly encounters or bad karma.. and i would need a partner.. noway would i be caught dead in there alone.

padlock

Mar 28, 2010
Ann Arbor MI
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
i know its a cemetery but i just cant help but wonder what might be in the ground in such an old site...

im going to take a stab in the dark here and say old dead people.... :tongue3:

sorry had to

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
padlock said:
i know its a cemetery but i just cant help but wonder what might be in the ground in such an old site...

im going to take a stab in the dark here and say old dead people.... :tongue3:

sorry had to
LOL!

lennon631

May 3, 2010
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Garrett ProPointer
A couple of things here. First, I dont think they had many limo's in the 1700's. AND second, it's a FELONY to stick ANY shovel in a cemetery unless you're burying someone or a grounds keeper planting flowers! My vote is stay away.....my 2 cents :icon_scratch:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find where the 1700s houses were.... that's where all the finds will be. The dead tend to not lose much! ;D

Sounds like you have some great history all around you but don't want to put in the effort?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lennon631 said:
A couple of things here. First, I dont think they had many limo's in the 1700's. AND second, it's a FELONY to stick ANY shovel in a cemetery unless you're burying someone or a grounds keeper planting flowers! My vote is stay away.....my 2 cents :icon_scratch:

1700's Limo's

images2.jpg stagecoach.jpg

&
Maybe the first Punch Buggy
farmcart.jpg
tan one punch.gif

& I don't think anyone was buried
where they parked them

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
Wow, I am pretty sure he said "HE WOULD NOT BE HUNTING WERE PEOPLE WERE BURIED". Maybe if people would read instead of preaching the same sad song some good information could be given Booty-Hunter, look for open areas. Remember back in the early 1800s there were no ground keepers to take care of the cemeteries. The families would go and keep their loved ones graves cleaned. Many times they would take the whole family and spend many hours there. They might take along a picnic lunch. I would imagine the kids would get a little restless and run and play. You never know what one of them might have dropped. I have found many coins searching cemeteries, especially if there was once a church on the grounds. And yes I had permission to hunt there and no I am not a felon. ;D Thank you for your suggestion Jeff, it sure is nice to see someone offering help instead of a lecture.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hunted around at least a dozen cemeteries/graves. I never go over the graves, just go around staying about 5 to 10 feet away. Usually find a coin or two as I spiral out from the center. As always I get permission from the land owners.
:thumbsup:
Ed D.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lucky1777 said:
Wow, I am pretty sure he said "HE WOULD NOT BE HUNTING WERE PEOPLE WERE BURIED". Maybe if people would read instead of preaching the same sad song some good information could be given Booty-Hunter, look for open areas. Remember back in the early 1800s there were no ground keepers to take care of the cemeteries. The families would go and keep their loved ones graves cleaned. Many times they would take the whole family and spend many hours there. They might take along a picnic lunch. I would imagine the kids would get a little restless and run and play. You never know what one of them might have dropped. I have found many coins searching cemeteries, especially if there was once a church on the grounds. And yes I had permission to hunt there and no I am not a felon. ;D Thank you for your suggestion Jeff, it sure is nice to see someone offering help instead of a lecture.

I Remember my Mom & Dad would take us
to the Tremont Cemetery & He would
Mow around his families graves.

We would Play while he was doing this.
Walk around try & read the Oldest stones
& Marvel at the Giant Stones trying to
Imagine Why so Big & Fancy ?
& I remember finding a handfull of Dropped
change along the edge in the Grass once.

Made my day, but always wonder
was it 1964 or earlier & Did I Find them all.

But No I Have no Guts to go
detect the spot, I Can still picture in my mind :D

:coffee2:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I hunted a cemetery tonight well from about 4 pm till 6 pm . I went with a buddy of mine that takes care of the burying there . I helped him find some markers there in the ground then hunted found nothing it did not give me the creeps like some of you girls here said it would do to you. I hunt cemeterys now and then i have no problem with it. As a matter of fact i have no problem with hunting any were but a lot of you girls here do.

Attachments

• 294x220.jpg
    294x220.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 1,202
  • 294x220.jpg
    294x220.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 1,094

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
lennon631 said:
It is not a felony here to hunt a cemetery here and dig a coin or two it could be were you live but i never heard of any thing like that. :angry4: :angry4: :angry4: :cussing: :cussing:

Attachments

• 294x220.jpg
    294x220.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 1,109
  • 294x220.jpg
    294x220.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 1,103

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well all I know is, if someone happened to metal detect around my grave while I was lying there in my eternal slumber, I don't think i'd give a rats arse if he got a nice signal right over top of me. Especially if i'd already been in the ground for 200 years plus. But hey, that's just me.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
I have hunted in a couple of cemeteries but never dug anything. They're old ones in the middle of nowhere and I just had to walk across them just to see if there was anything there. I got a few signals but to tell you the truth, there wasn't enough signals to make me want to go back. Don''t know if the people that lived in the area were poor or if someone had hammered them in the early days of metal detecting. Things were a little different in the early days.

Besides, I really don't feel comfortable walking around a cemetery with a shovel. :tongue3:

There's a lifetime of goodies to dig in the woods. Just do a little research. The finds are there. :thumbsup:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RPG said:
There's a lifetime of goodies to dig in the woods. Just do a little research. The finds are there. :thumbsup:

Absolutely. The majority of the time, folks that are interested in MDing cemeteries are the same folks that never seem to be able to come up with a decent spot. If they did, they wouldn't be so interested in cemeteries in spite of the legal and public relations risks!

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup said:
Well all I know is, if someone happened to metal detect around my grave while I was lying there in my eternal slumber, I don't think i'd give a rats arse if he got a nice signal right over top of me. Especially if i'd already been in the ground for 200 years plus. But hey, that's just me.
agreed, in fact if there was a way to guide him/her to
the find of a lifetime I'd do that too ;D

But after 200 years I'd probably be trying to find Me
& My Bones :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread