Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
1700's house cellar question

OK I have a farm that I hunt and there is an old house that was built in the 1700's by a doctor plus he had several more house on the property, but anyway I take it that this home was farely large due to the amount of brick that are there now, its also encased in a "brier" jungle OMG. There is evidence of an old what I think cellar now the house burnt down in 1931 causing all the bricks to come tumbling down on the cellar. My question is does anyone think that it would be worth the time to excavate all the bricks and see about getting down in the cellar if possible. I have thought about and thought about it but need more advice "Is it worth the time"

CW

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1700's house cellar question

Well it all depends on what is surpose to be down in the cellar. Plus I would get permission from the owner that if you did this what ever you found would be yours to claim and not theirs if you found something wouth while. That they would not come back on you to claim it.....Matt

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm not sure from your post but it sounds as if you may own this property. If it were me I would consider removing the bricks and using them to build a rustic patio or some such. Then I would proceed with hunting the whole area. Depending on what other stonework is there, you may have some nice large pieces of granite (hearth, steps etc) or other stone that may be their own treasure.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Used bricks are worth $$$, so you are a winner either way. Monty

RelicHunterSantise

Feb 4, 2009
louisville, ky

Personally, I think I would. Just the hunt gets me everytime.

Obviously its something you have been considering for quite some time. What else has been found on the property? Are you going to eventually beat your self up if you dont? I would.

Best of luck. Keep us posted on what you decide.

xoxo

OP
OP
cwdigger

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

mlayers said:
Well it all depends on what is surpose to be down in the cellar. Plus I would get permission from the owner that if you did this what ever you found would be yours to claim and not theirs if you found something wouth while. That they would not come back on you to claim it.....Matt

No the landowner is completly fine with it he has told us what ever we find we can keep he could care less.

OP
OP
cwdigger

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

DigginThePast said:
I'm not sure from your post but it sounds as if you may own this property. If it were me I would consider removing the bricks and using them to build a rustic patio or some such. Then I would proceed with hunting the whole area. Depending on what other stonework is there, you may have some nice large pieces of granite (hearth, steps etc) or other stone that may be their own treasure.

No I dont own the property wish I did over 800 acres lol ;D

OP
OP
cwdigger

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

RelicHunterSantise said:
Personally, I think I would. Just the hunt gets me everytime.

Obviously its something you have been considering for quite some time. What else has been found on the property? Are you going to eventually beat your self up if you dont? I would.

Best of luck. Keep us posted on what you decide.

xoxo

Well several things happend on the property from the civil war to indian being there, and plantation houses during the 1700's, there is an old gravesite on the property date 1732 the stone used for the cryp. was made and insrcibed in England and trasported to the U.S. for the burial of this person, like I say that had plenty of money. On one side of the farm we have found over 60 canister shots,several large 32 pound frags and some other little nick nacks. This side of the property how ever is so grown up and thick ot would be impossible to hunt until the trees get a little bigger, where the house is there is about a 20x20 foot section that you can hunt but as soon as you get a signal BAM you hit a dang brick. I dont know what is the cellar may not be anything, maybe be a pot of gold. Dont know I know that its gonna take a long time to get em out. :'(

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well, the owner seems fine with it. I'd go for it, could be the find of a lifetime there.

OP
OP
cwdigger

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

DigginThePast said:
Well, the owner seems fine with it. I'd go for it, could be the find of a lifetime there.

Well we are gonna start tomorrow

davidtn

Dec 14, 2005
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport, Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good luck and keep us posted.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What was in the house when it burnt down? If the house was occupied, everything inside is now in the basement. Of course every nail that was holding it together is in the basement too. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread