1704 coin...what is it & were is it from?

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
1704 coin...what is it & were is it from?

I found this coin while looking for arrowheads on a lake shore. Its in really good shape for its age if 1704 is a date. I dont collect coins and have no idear where this coin is from, what it is called , and what it is made of ? Im guessing silver? Does this coin have any collectors value ? I know most collectors are into american coins and this one looks like its from overseas. I cant even imagine what events were taking place at that time period.

Attachments

• 054.JPG
    054.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 709

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1704 coin...what is it & were is it from?

What you have here is a French silver coin from the reign of Louis XVI. Its denomination was "5 sols." These circulated in Canada to some extent, and I suspect that the coin made its way south from there at some point. I don't have any idea on value...but yours is in decent shape. Here's a photo of the coin:

sols1702.gif

-Buckleboy

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

i found this online. your coin is french but i dont know anything other than that.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 1,248

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Hollowpointred--you found a nicer photo! No fair! ;D

All the Best,

Buckleboy

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

BuckleBoy said:

All the Best,

Buckleboy

haha too bad i cant speak french! the site i found the picture on had some text next to it. ::)

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hollowpointred said:
BuckleBoy said:

All the Best,

Buckleboy

haha too bad i cant speak french! the site i found the picture on had some text next to it. ::)

Je suis désolée. ;)

Good Luck and HH All!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I must have gone to a different school on teaching Roman numerals, I always thought XIIII equaled 14 not 16 as XVI would be I believe.. :) Dyslexia perhaps? ;D

I am sure Buckleboy meant to type Louis XIV......

Don

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don in SJ said:
I must have gone to a different school on teaching Roman numerals, I always thought XIIII equaled 14 not 16 as XVI would be I believe.. :) Dyslexia perhaps? ;D

I am sure Buckleboy meant to type Louis XIV......

Don

My French is "fair." German is better. My Roman Numerals SUCK. :D Yes, I meant XIV. ::) :D

-BB

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BuckleBoy said:
What you have here is a French silver coin from the reign of Louis XVI. Its denomination was "5 sols." These circulated in Canada to some extent, and I suspect that the coin made its way south from there at some point. I don't have any idea on value...but yours is in decent shape. Here's a photo of the coin:

-Buckleboy

$30, $35 ballpark.

OP
OP
undertaker

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer

Thanks for in info. I kinda figured it wasnt worth much. It seems like a coin of that age doesnt bring much value unless its american. I found it when the water was low and there was more shoreline than usual. I went back the next day and found a revolutionary war button, and a 1865 canadian dime and a few musketballs. My brother found a 1837 large cent and a awesome revolutionary button which he lost out of his pocket before we got home. I still try to picture that button in my head and hope it will turn up in one of his pockets someday. Not a bad day concidering we were looking for rocks ( arrowheads ). We have been back to that shore the past few years but have never found much other than arrowheads and they were few and far between. But the water has never been that low as it was that summer. Back in the cigar box it goes.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

undertaker said:
Thanks for in info. I kinda figured it wasnt worth much. It seems like a coin of that age doesnt bring much value unless its american. I found it when the water was low and there was more shoreline than usual. I went back the next day and found a revolutionary war button, and a 1865 canadian dime and a few musketballs. My brother found a 1837 large cent and a awesome revolutionary button which he lost out of his pocket before we got home. I still try to picture that button in my head and hope it will turn up in one of his pockets someday. Not a bad day concidering we were looking for rocks ( arrowheads ). We have been back to that shore the past few years but have never found much other than arrowheads and they were few and far between. But the water has never been that low as it was that summer. Back in the cigar box it goes.

American coins that age are few and far between which is why they have value. Anything as limited for numbers would also have value regardless of what country. For early French serious collectors tend to look more at mintmarks, stamps, etc., the small things that make a common coin a rare issue. There are some seriously rare French Colonial Coins.

Did you post the buttons? I'd rather see them than the French silver.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions