1712 Spainish Cob Eight Reals

P

pumpdoc

???

This is my first visit to this site, but perhaps someone out there can help. I am posting a couple of pictures of a Cob that I didn't find, but actually traded a guy a horse saddle for it. He informed me that it came from his father's coin collection. I have done a fair amount of research on Cobs, including the newest book by Sewall, but a couple of things confuse me. The date is evident. The waves under the pillars indicate it came from the Lima mint, but the mint mark shows an "R" and assayer an "M". Also, the Lions and Castles are backwards or the date is upside down, or something strange. Lastly, there is an extra cross embedded on the primary one. Because of the limited minting during this time period, exact date pictures are rare to find, but I haven't seen any demonination cob with this cross within a cross.

I would appreciate any feedback anyone has to share.

The picture I have of the other side is too large to send. I will post that side soon.

Attachments

• spainish cob 1712.GIF
    spainish cob 1712.GIF
    33.9 KB · Views: 381
Upvote 0

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Texas you can still shoot a horse thief. Not sure about a saddle thief. Hope you don't need to repo that saddle. The coin doesn't look all that worn to me. I have seen SLQs slabbed and in a lot worse shape. GL.

Laater...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread