1715 Fleet Grappling Hook/Anchor

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all... Just thought I would share a few pics of my newly acquired grappling hook which was recovered back in the early 60's from the 1715 Fleet "Cannon Pile" Wreck area... Bought it from an family member of a diver that did some work with Real Eight back in the beginning... The good old days! Unfortunately it is missing one arm but it still came out great... It took me a few months to conserve this piece as it was in seriously bad shape! I think it came out pretty good and it will be great to share with others for years to come...

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oops pics didn't work... Hang on and I'll try to get them on here...

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image-2407184408.jpg

image-266813392.jpg

image-365317602.jpg

image-1271652055.jpg

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There, I guess that worked...

I believe that these types of large grappling hooks were what they used to drag for wreckage during the salvage efforts following the initial wrecking...

I had seen an early drawing showing an image of how the Spanish would use these hooks for salvage... But can't seem to figure out which book I saw that drawing in... If anyone has seen a good representative drawing of the salvage techniques the Spanish used involving the grappling hooks, I sure would appreciate it if you could let me know where to find it... Thanks...

Juicy

Greenie
Oct 8, 2012
Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2
Whitees Dualfield PI
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Looks awesome. I would be interested to know the technique you used to preserve the metal?

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Juicy...

I pretty much used the same techniques that conservator Doug Armstrong uses and has published in his new book... If you can, get his book as he is super knowledgeable and skilled with regards to conservation of historical shipwreck artifacts! I had the pleasure of meeting up with Doug several years back and bought a DVD of his conservation techniques from him.

The processes used will certainly vary depending upon the artifact type, the environment it was in, the overall current condition of the artifact and how long it's been exposed to the air since recovery from the ground, beach, or water. This grappling hook had been removed from the ocean back in the 60's, was soaked in fresh water for a period and was then covered with a coat of something similar to black rustoleum. I had to remove the old rustoleum which was pretty much flaked off anyway as this grappling hook had been sitting out in the persons yard for many years slowly rusting away from the inside out... What a crime! I used an electrolytic bath on it for a period and got it down to the bare remaining iron before properly sealing it. It should remain stable for a long time to come.

Juicy

Greenie
Oct 8, 2012
Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2
Whitees Dualfield PI
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks phips, sounds like it should last a few more years now. I will definitely do a search to see if I can find that book. Sounds like it's worth a read! Thanks for that

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Juicy,

Have a look at another thread on here... The name of this book is mentioned there and can be purchased from Amazon from what I understand...

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
graphnelhookcabin.jpg Phips; Great work! Here's a pic of Tommy Gore at the Cabin Wreck from that period, maybe with your exact artifact! Carumba! I'll let Doug know about your handiwork. He will be pleased.

Last edited:

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wrong, not Cabin Wreck. I can see the buildings on the shoreline and that is not in the Cabin Wreck area. Also, this is the stern of the Derelict where I can see the tiller behind Tommy, and this is before Real 8 mounted the blower on the transom, so the photo dates pre-1967.

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Jim... Awesome pic of Tommy with that artifact... Don't believe it is the same one as mine as I personally know who found mine and that it definately came from the Cannon Pile site in the early 60's.

That tower behind Tommy looks like the water tower down by Sandy Point / Moorings area... I'm not sure how long that water tower has been in that area, but typically when they erect a water tower in a particular spot, that's usually where it stays, even if a new one needs to be erected later if the old one has issues, they would most likely put a new up in the same spot... So Sandy Point is my guess for that photo.

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I owe any knowledge that I have with regards to artifact conservation to Doug. I haven't seen him in so long... Glad to hear is doing well and I will certainly be looking forward to getting his book to support his work and hopefully learn a new trick or two!

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or maybe Fort Pierce for the Tommy photo... Have to ask him next I see him...

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work!!

The one found this year (or last year- darn memory!) sure is one heavy puppy with all the encrustations!!

It still amazes me what the final product ends up looking like after conservation from a few hundred years under the sea!

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love doing artifact conservation work because it is literally bringing history back to life and its amazing to see the transformation from the often unknown encrusted "whojamadingles" to the final restored object. Hummm... Sometimes I surprise myself... I didn't know that I actually knew how to spell "whojamadungles"... Hehehe.

Anyway, this grappling hook, even after all the "weight loss" from being in the sea and from removal of the encrustation during conservation, weighs one heck of a lot!! It definately requires a bent knees, back braced, two handed lift on my part and I'm not a little guy...

E

elle

Hey Terry,

I believe thatā€™s the old water tower which was located by Beachcomber Lane in Vero, but I may be mistaken. If
Iā€™m right, the grappling hook is another substantial clue to what the archive documents reveal is at that siteā€¦donā€™t worryā€¦Iā€™ll be talking about that area in my future writing. If itā€™s a good storm coming up, thatā€™s one potential beach to charge the metal detector batteries for.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Conditions should be real good for that area this weekend..into early next week when the north wind turns to the west. Seas 8-10 feet from the northeast.

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Terry,

I believe thatā€™s the old water tower which was located by Beachcomber Lane in Vero, but I may be mistaken. If
Iā€™m right, the grappling hook is another substantial clue to what the archive documents reveal is at that siteā€¦donā€™t worryā€¦Iā€™ll be talking about that area in my future writing. If itā€™s a good storm coming up, thatā€™s one potential beach to charge the metal detector batteries for.

and there sits a "galleon anchor" @ beachcomber lane and A1A. I'm always in too much of a hurry when I go by to stop and read the plaque.

E

elle

and there sits a "galleon anchor" @ beachcomber lane and A1A. I'm always in too much of a hurry when I go by to stop and read the plaque.

...I don't know of any plaque at that location and this thread is about grappling hooks, not galleon anchors.
Oh, you probably got your bearings mixed up with the historical site of the Breckenshire. But I probably need to inform you that the Breckenshire was a schooner-rigged steamship and not a galleon. If you would like to read more on this "Boiler Wreck," I know Rob Westrick covered this ship in his comprehensive guide to shipwrecks.

Last edited:

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...I don't know of any plaque at that location and this thread is about grappling hooks, not galleon anchors.
Oh, you probably got your bearings mixed up with the historical site of the Breckenshire. But I probably need to inform you that the Breckenshire was a schooner-rigged steamship and not a galleon. If you would like to read more on this "Boiler Wreck," I know Rob Westrick covered this ship in his comprehensive guide to shipwrecks.

I'm sorry Elle- the thread digressed/ side stepped from grappling hooks to identifying the background of a picture in which you contributed you believe it to be where the old water tower was located by Beachcomber Lane in Vero.

So I thought it relative to post about the ā€œgalleonā€ anchor that is sitting along side A1A @ Beachcomber lane. Iā€™m sorry youā€™ve never seen the plaque there. You can view it and the anchor in street view of google earth. I went by it today but again too busy to stop.

Maybe the anchor is another substantial clue to what the archival documents reveal is at that site. But itā€™s HRDā€™s exploration site so I havenā€™t worked there.

Thanks for the info on the Breckenshire Iā€™m well aware of it and itā€™s location about 3 miles south. Iā€™ve actually been sitting outside @ Waldoā€™s and hear people tell others as they point to the boiler that itā€™s one of the treasure ships that sank here in a hurricane. My wife restrains me from interjecting a few facts so I just sit there and shake my head.

Since weā€™ve side stepped do you reference a non existent water tower or the water tank that is still there west of A1A?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread