1715 FLEET MIA...CLOSE OR DEEPWATER???

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
While these wouldn't be my choices...I thought I'd throw this info out for discusssion:

1) The "SILVER DISKS" site. Possibly one of the 1715 fleet, north of Fort Lauderdale. Disks of silver dated 1714 were recovered.

2) During October 1990, Seahawk II conducted a predisturbance survey of the "St. Augustine" site. During this survey, approximately 90 artifacts were recovered including two cannons, numerous cannon balls, and a dozen copper cooking pots. Dave Moore, an archaeologist, estimated the cannon is from the 1700's.

During April 1991, the Johnson Sea-Link returned to the site to continue work on the shipwreck for 6 days. A good portion of the area surrounding theballast pile was uncovered and some timbers and ribs of the ship were exposed which, according to archaeologist Robert Marx, indicated that the ship was small in size -- most likely in the 50 to 75 ton range. During this trip, a number of artifacts were recovered, including 6 Spanish silver coins, three four-foot cannons, more copper cooking pots, scores of lead musket and pistol balls, pulley blocks and sheaves and other miscellaneous items. According to Mr. Moore, the coins date between 1712 and 1714. Mr. Marx has reported it to be an "Adviso" or advice boat -- sometimes called a "Patache."

Happy researching! Tom

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont think any ship with a draft of more than 8 foot,full of treasure would be in the ICW.See the photo of sebastian inlet in 1943.I have access to all the photos taken of all of florida in 1943 and earlier to 1938.Check out the patrick AFB PBY's cruzing around in the ICW.

Attachments

• 1943sebastianInlet.jpg
    1943sebastianInlet.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 367
  • 2009sebastianInlet.jpg
    2009sebastianInlet.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 388
  • patrickPBYs.jpg
    patrickPBYs.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 363

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
while some debate the number of vessels -- I say 11 spanish vessels plus the grifon ---based upon the writings of admireal salmon -- who was #2 in charge of the fleet when it sailed and later on was head of salvage ops since Capt General Ubilla died in the ship wreckings --- he wrote that 9 vessel sank and 2 "galleons" (those vessels in echerevz fleets were called the " terra firme galleons") were missing (thus 11 spanish vessels total) --the french vessel grifon under capt dare was not "offically" part of the fleet but rather merely forced to travel with them to prevent information leaks about the fleet to possible attackers , so salmon was not overly worried about at the grifon at this time .

salmon also noted a total of 3 vessels were missing --- the grifon (who were have found out survived and made port in breast france later on) and --2 vessels of echerevz fleet --"el ciervo" and the "nao san miguel"

--- the french prize aka as "la galara" or "el ciervo" (the stag)----(taken for illegal trading by echerevz pataches while he was in porto bella )-- it was a smallish size galara class type frigate /galley type vessel --with both sails and also rowible as well for extra speed or if there was no wind * its "offical" cargo is listed as 96 tons of "brazilwood" .-however she did stop in the "treasure" ports as well as havana . --(smuggling was rife on the 1715 fleet vessels)

the nao (trading ship) type class vessel san miguel "offical" main cargo was tabacco -- she came from spain came with the original"outbound" 1715 fleet -- as they got close to cuba inbound she was cut from the fleet and sent to havana to load tobacco --she remained in havana and did not go to the main treasure ports like the others did --however being there was a huge back log of treasure to be moved sitting in the storehouses of havana I'm sure she was hauling more than just tabacco- and with her being she was in port for such long time -I'm quite sure the smugglers took advantage of it.

salmon in a sept 20th , 1715 letter to the king ---speaks of these vessels --which can be read two ways -- I need to see the original to be sure of the exact correct translation --- "of the 2 missing vessels there is little doubt that they sank in deep water since wreckage of a large vesssel or vessels was found on the (north coast? / coast north?) of st augustine ." --- read one way it suggest that the wreck / wrecks are in deeper water than the spanish could salvage at that time somewhere off of st augustine (see seahawk and bob marx finds)---read another way --it means that wreck was found a good bit north of st augustine * (nassau sound area) --- a letter by capt lima in havana to the viceroy of mexico wrote Oct 19th . 1715 states that according to reports from st augustine --- wreckage of a large vessel was found 15 leauges to the "leeward" (wind direction can be north or south in this case) of this port (st augustine where the reports came from)* --- govenor spotwoods letter wrote 5 days (oct 24th,1715) later say's wreckage was "about 40 miles "northward" of st augustine .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread