1715 Fleet - New Seville/Cadiz Documents

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dr. Lyon showed these papers to me at the picnic & I've let busyness selfishly keep me from sharing. Here's the first page. We had a challenge of taking pics in the hot sun on the hood of his friend's car.

Some has been translated, but would love to have full translation. Anyone game?

I'm hoping John de Bry will be able to share some of the documents he got in Cuba a couple years ago. He did discover that there were far more casualties (& survivors) than previously thought.

Attachments

• NEW 1715 SUMMARY from Cadiz.pdf
    5.3 MB · Views: 323

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thank you, Tammy! You are always so generous. 8-)

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
52 days from Vera Cruz to Havana! So did the ships typically head north to catch the Gulfstream then down to Havana from some point in the Gulf?

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
52 days from Vera Cruz to Havana! So did the ships typically head north to catch the Gulfstream then down to Havana from some point in the Gulf?

Yes, after leaving Vera Cruz they headed north along the coast. The current in the Gulf is called the Loop Current. That's why the 1554 fleet wrecked in Texas. They followed the coastline to Key West and then Havana.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, after leaving Vera Cruz they headed north along the coast. The current in the Gulf is called the Loop Current. That's why the 1554 fleet wrecked in Texas. They followed the coastline to Key West and then Havana.

Thx 6, kinda what I figured.

Steve

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of these shipwrecks there are thousands of documents in: AGI, Consulados bundles # 850, 851, 852, 853, 854 and 855. There are many details.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful hand, Tammy.

Wish I could translate it.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of these shipwrecks there are thousands of documents in: AGI, Consulados bundles # 850, 851, 852, 853, 854 and 855. There are many details.

Was there any mention of pirate activity?

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was there any mention of pirate activity?
Honestly, I did not review very thoroughly the documents of 1715. The aforementioned bundles come inventoried here:

Inventario fondos Consulados.jpg

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
If that is a topic of interest to you, I highly recommend Piracy in the West Indies and its Suppression. Also, Pirates of the New England Coast (don't be misled by the title - it has much on the Caribbean). Dover reprinted these in very affordable trade paperback editions. And there are always the hardcover originals from the 1920's and '30's.

Both are first-rate!

I just ordered the Folio Society General History of the Pyrates, by "Capt. Charles Johnson."

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im going to get it great post

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the treasure fleets coming from Mexico to Havana (the new spain fleet) used dead reckoning navigation -- sailing close to land logging in where they were at by using known land marks and rivers they had marked upon maps made of the coast line --and thus were often in shallow waters along the coast ...so when bad storms struck --they often got pinned close to the coast and forced onshore or onto reefs by the storms...dead reckoning indeed...only in the mid 1700 era were time pieces made which were good enough to make it possible to navigate without using dead reckoning--the current ---there is a shoreline current along the Mexico to Florida west coast called the gulf loop --its why the Spanish put a base in Pensacola in 1554 (which was wiped out by a hurricane in 1554 after only a few months) - Pensacola was meant to be a west coast of Florida shipwreck refuge-- resupply/ rest / repair point between Mexico and Havana

after leaving Havana bound for Spain--- they would hug the east coast of Florida using the gulf stream to head northward once they got about the Jacksonville area --they would fill their fresh water barrels up and stock what food they could find onshore and head east back to Spain ---St Augustine was the east coast shipwreck refuge --rest / resupply / repair port on the east coast and with the earlir Pensacola getting wiped out in 1554 --gets to claim the oldest USA city title …

most of what I saw by dr lyon at the cookout --was a accounting list of people who died and things lost in the 1715 fleet wrecks --- I shared a few rare maps I know of with him having to do with "missing 1715 fleet vessel locations" ---

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread