🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Geo-facts or scraper and tool? They really stood out to me as a possible scraper and LARGE, worked piece of chert?

gettothepoints

Apr 29, 2022
PA
Seen in a creek in PA. Are the black ones Chert? They are extremely heavy and dense and possibly seem what would be considered a cryptocrystalline structure though don’t appear completely glass like.

The edge of that larger piece has what appears to be chipping or serrations on alternating sides along the edge like I see in other blades and points, but it also has smooth “veining” and growths projecting off which seems not to be disturbed in those same areas so I’m not sure if could really be worked. It also has a curve to it so I’m not sure what it might have been useful for.

The other piece feels like a much more coarser grained stone but it really fits perfectly in the hand and has this gentle curve and just appears to me like some sort of scraper?

I also included a pic of another stone that is exactly like the larger one, I thought it might help to see the details in a different piece while wet.

Attachments

• IMG_4338.jpeg
    IMG_4338.jpeg
    761.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4331.jpeg
    IMG_4331.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4330.jpeg
    IMG_4330.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4336.jpeg
    IMG_4336.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4335.jpeg
    IMG_4335.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4334.jpeg
    IMG_4334.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4340.jpeg
    IMG_4340.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4332.jpeg
    IMG_4332.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4337.jpeg
    IMG_4337.jpeg
    776 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
G

gettothepoints

Apr 29, 2022
PA
Probably all rocks. The 1st pic shows a little chipping but it could just be from natural causes. The dark material is not suitable for artifacts.
Okay, kinda what I was figuring. Any idea what that dark material is? It rings like crystal and is extremely hard and heavy, some of it has veins of quartz running through it. When it chips off it is extremely sharp and holds an edge really well when cutting into something. I thought it was chert rock.

Thank you!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread