1715 Fleet Question

E

elle

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone out there who has worked the 1715 fleet sites, or beachcombers in the vicinity of these wrecks, ever came across a particular wood called alder.
I know there are many species of alder, but I am looking for the one that is reddish-brown in color, containing streaks and dark lines. While going through your shoebox of artifacts, look for a hardwood that is very distinctive in appearance. To describe, it is fine-grained, elastic, coarse and dense. Alder can also be easily worked, allowing fine details to be carved into it. If you’re not sure, I’d be more than happy to help identify.
Carpenters mainly sought this wood for the ship planking, but I am in need to find any evidence of this wood, despite its origin of use or structure location.
If anyone remembers a story or discovery of alder from the 1715 fleet, could you please p.m. me? I thank everyone 2 million times for taking the time to help me out with my research!
Laura J

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Related to the Elm of Birch, no doubt. I have a few barrels of hardwood, including mahogany, that my father salvaged from various boat construction projects and some that he bought or traded for. He was turning it to make various tools such as caulking mallets. Also, I have a few of his black mahogany mallets. Sorry to get off subject.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
which ship wreck area are you trying to find based up the type of wood used in its building ? -- the English vessel that was taken by Echevez's patache's off of Portobello and later on sold in Havana , Cuba to Ubilla? for his own little "patache" type vessel ? --many folks had never heard of "the English prize" vessel --oh they heard of the dutch prize vessel AKA as the Olandesa , and "senor de la popa" and the French prize vessel AKA as "EL Ciervo" but few knew of the 3rd prize vessel ( because it sailed out of port in Havana with Ubilla and folks of today thought he bought a "local built Cuban boat") --it was a very small galera type vessel * the English name was mari (welsh version of mary) in the Spanish way of speaking with the vessel class then the name -- galera mari or in English mari - the galera -- upon capture it was called the "San Miguel de Excelcius" until Ubilla got it he renamed it

Last edited:

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
After 300 years in the ocean, would alder remain fine grained, distintictive and coarse with the colors you describe? I have several pieces of wood from the 1715 fleet soaking in fresh water but never had them examined. Any idea of the cost to test wood for age and identity?

OP
OP
E

elle

Thank you for the kind responses.

The alder wood is not correlated to the once English-owned vessel, the Marigalera.
The forerun location of the Marigalera has already been known for quite some time from
the major discovery of the Protestant ship bell, the small intricate bow, and the hundreds
of other valuable artifacts that were once stored onboard.

Tom, alder is extremely durable and long-lasting in water.
You will still see the red color in it. As a matter of fact, red dye was made from alder.
Send me some pictures. I'm curious what you've collected.

Laura :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread