1715 navigational artifacts

saltydog1733

Feb 11, 2009
What types of navigational instruments would have been carried on the vessels of the 1715 fleet ships?

Were astrolabes still being used or did they use the quadrant by then? Has either instrument ever been found on any of the wreck sites?

I assume that every ship in the fleet had a pilot and that a pilot's chest would have contained one or several instruments. I don't recall reading anywhere of these types of artifacts being found on the 1715 wrecks, other than brass dividers.

Thanks for those that respond with factual & documented information and not just guesses.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
saltydog1733:

Three suggested references for you:

Longitude: The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of His Time Dava Sobel (1995)

The Last Voyage of the San Miguel de Archangel Dr. Robert H. Baer (2011)

Six Galleons for the King of Spain: Imperial Defense in the Early Seventeenth Century Carla Rahn Phillips (1986)

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think any of the sailors or pilots on any of the 1715 fleet ships had any time to use any of the navigational instruments they had.If they had got a chance to use them then they wouldn't have wrecked where they did.I guess when there's no sun or stars in the middle of a storm all you have to rely on is dead wreckoning.In the hurricane eye you can see the sun or stars,but by then its too late. You are doomed.Unless you can keep up with the storm and stay in the eye till it fades away.

GulfDiver

Greenie
Feb 4, 2011
saltydog1733 said:
What types of navigational instruments would have been carried on the vessels of the 1715 fleet ships?

Were astrolabes still being used or did they use the quadrant by then? Has either instrument ever been found on any of the wreck sites?

I assume that every ship in the fleet had a pilot and that a pilot's chest would have contained one or several instruments. I don't recall reading anywhere of these types of artifacts being found on the 1715 wrecks, other than brass dividers.

Thanks for those that respond with factual & documented information and not just guesses.

Good question. Seems there's been alot of work on this fleet-- surely there have been some astrolabes, dividers or other navigational instruments found? Would these be in the local museums? I have an interest in navigational devices as well. Or were these sold off?

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe astrolabes faded out in the mid 1600's.

Within the area of the 1715 fleet lies the San Martin the Almiranta of the 1618 Hunduras Fleet. Kane Fisher and crew found an astrolabe dated in the late 1593.

I do not recall anything other than dividers being found on "1715 wrecks" but my memory isn't the best and I don't know of everything found...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread