1715 scatter patterns

Overeasy

May 7, 2008
I know this a somewhat wild thought, but I was wondering if there are published "scatter patterns" of the 1715 wrecks. I know on the wall of the Fisher museum in Sebastian there is a map on the wall that indicates them in a very small way. I am sure there are more detailed ones. With the price of gold going up, a visit to these sites might be worth a trip. To tip my hat, there might be other ways to find things in the sand than blasting the area but my idea is a long shot for sure.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Spyglass Publications had a chart of treasure wrecks in Florida with computer generated scatter patterns of the 1715 fleet wrecks. I got mine over 10 years ago so I don't know if its still available. Do a google search for Spyglass Pubs.

Cappy Z

Jun 29, 2012
Atlantis
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been here since at least 2005. I come and I go. But in all those years, I am certain I have posted at least 47 times. Maybe I am mistaken. It could have been a little more. Maybe 48. What I am really interested in..is OVEREASY...His icon states he has been here at TN since May of 2008. That's over four years. And I love him. I really do. And, it says he has posted a total of 47 times in four years. This is not a negative comment. It is, simply an observation. And now...he has TRULY picked my brain, my imagination, my pirate soul..He, OVEREASY..has something up his sleeve. He even claims...it is a long shot. Well, I didn't go to GA meetings for nothing! So IF there is any truth...to this...long shot...I welcome with open eyes, ears, and wallet..Mr. EASYOVER...

Last edited:

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this a somewhat wild thought, but I was wondering if there are published "scatter patterns" of the 1715 wrecks. I know on the wall of the Fisher museum in Sebastian there is a map on the wall that indicates them in a very small way. I am sure there are more detailed ones. With the price of gold going up, a visit to these sites might be worth a trip. To tip my hat, there might be other ways to find things in the sand than blasting the area but my idea is a long shot for sure.
Born and raised vero beach, and if you want to come to the area to look for spanish treasure - knock yourself out. What ever your plan is I suggest you do your research first. Nobody else since the salvage began here with the REAL EIGHT then MEL shortly after - have thought of a better way to recover sunken treasure. First off - you need to purchase a lease to do any kind of hunting in the water within 3000 yards from the shore out east from the center of the wreck (anyone correct me if i'm wrong). Second - if you decide to do anything out of the ordinary on any of the beaches on the entire east coast of florida ----- the police, and others will show up in no time. People are watching people non-stop on the treasure coast. Believe me - if you plan on doing something around sebastian inlet and south for many miles - you yourself will be in for a big surprise. Just the residents alone keep an eye out. The local and state law - indian river county, vero beach police, florida marine patrol, state wildlife officers, and others are everywhere watching. Even at night you would be screwed trying to do anything. They got the best of the best equipment to watch people.
Good luck.

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My take..Tarpon is 100% correct on the in-water stuff. Beaches..crap shoot. The big problem is all the CRAP pumped on the beaches by the Corps of Engineers (sic). Scatter on the beach. I feel alot of upper beach finds were from bodies washed up during the storm and buried. The sailors sewed stuff in their clothing, and drowned and washed up all along the beach.

BeachComber7

May 12, 2012
Treasure Coast-Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer and Tesoro deLeon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And the helicopters Cappy. I was at beach yesterday just walking along for about an hour and two choppers flew overhead about 20 minutes apart.

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Friggin' helicopters..just what do they think they're looking for, besides topless chicks? Peace and quiet at the beach, then these morons fly over. I usually wave at them with one finger.......

BeachComber7

May 12, 2012
Treasure Coast-Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer and Tesoro deLeon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL! I know Bill, and they are noisy too, can always hear them from a mile or so away.

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Even with headphones on!

Just gotta WOT on my Excalibur. Gonna hit the beach again. Found a beach with very little renourished sand and a rock hard shell layer inches below the top.

It's located

OP
OP
O

Overeasy

May 7, 2008
Wow, I didn't realize that I was as sinister sounding as you-all make out. First, I live in the area and understand about leases, etc. I know enough about the ocean to get a boat through Sebastian inlet without getting killed. I have just thought of a idea may or may have been over looked by the real treasure hunters of the past. I too am a in and out observer of the board, I'm not a genius in any way, what I have in mind would take some equipment that I don't have. And it would take time and patience, lots of both. This idea may have been tried before, but I can't find any reference to it. I assure one and all it's not rocket science. I'll just have to keep reading when I can. It could be that the beach renourshment that has gone on in the past could have destroyed any hope of recovery. I don't know. My gut feeling is that someone, somewhere, has tried this in some way. Sorry for all the excitement. Everyone go back to sleep.

Trembull

Jul 24, 2010
Oklahoma __ Y'All
Primary Interest:
Other
Spyglass Publications had a chart of treasure wrecks in Florida with computer generated scatter patterns of the 1715 fleet wrecks. I got mine over 10 years ago so I don't know if its still available. Do a google search for Spyglass Pubs.

OLD SHIPWRECKS OF FLORIDA'S S.E. COAST by Robert F. Burgess

Everybody watches Everybody

Pirate spyglass.gif

Last edited:

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's it worth to you?

OP
OP
O

Overeasy

May 7, 2008
Worth, not much.

Alot of my curosity is related to the cost of recovery. Right now, I figure it's a wash. As the value of treasure increases, then maybe all this might be worth getting people together for some hunting if I live that long. Right now, I don't think so. I've been here over twenty five years and unfortunally I don't know alot of you folks who hunt the bottom of the ocean for treasure. I am one of those persons who has great pain in my ears when I get in any depth of water ever tho I was once a beach lifeguard. My problem. Anyway, thanks for the tips on books, BTW, are you folks familiar with the book byTommy Gore, called "The Rainbow Chasers" It offers a different view of treasure hunting. Just my 2 cents.

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I co-wrote it, and produced it.

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tommy wants to do another in color. I can't afford that, so I don't know. However, I might do one by myself that is a little broader in scope, black and white. More emphasis on things at shore and on shore.

At the moment I am indexing Doug Armstrong's book on marine artifact conservation. I had it about ready to go and botched the index file, so I had to start over again. Takes days to do the index on a sizable book. Mind numbing work.

Denniss

Jan 7, 2011
Fort Pierce, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Fisher Impulse, Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I was looking on the news and events section of your site, Signum Ops | News and Events, and I saw mention of scanning maps and aerial views. Are there any updates on this project? How can I get maps of scatter patterns--what's it worth, no idea? Thanks

Last edited:

comfortably numb

Mar 31, 2010
Crystal River, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II,
MPX,fisher 1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the moment I am indexing Doug Armstrong's book on marine artifact conservation. I had it about ready to go and botched the index file, so I had to start over again. Takes days to do the index on a sizable book. Mind numbing work.

Sign me up for one of those Terry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions