1721 Segovia 2 Real?

HeatherM

Apr 12, 2020
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunted a new permission today. It is a cattle farm with a run down house from 1700's on it. Did not find much but within first 30 minutes found this right under the grass! I have never found a cut coin before. Searching matches the 1721 Segovia 2 Real the best but I don't know anything about reals so could be wrong. The coin is smooth on the back?? There is so much detail left on the front side, it makes me wonder if that is normal? If that IS what it is, it is the oldest find to date! Last fall I was floored to find a 1787 Connecticut copper at a different 1700s house.

Attachments

• reale.jpg
    reale.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 61
  • reale2.jpg
    reale2.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 44
  • reale3.jpg
    reale3.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 44
Upvote 26

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunted a new permission today. It is a cattle farm with a run down house from 1700's on it. Did not find much but within first 30 minutes found this right under the grass! I have never found a cut coin before. Searching matches the 1721 Segovia 2 Real the best but I don't know anything about reals so could be wrong. The coin is smooth on the back?? There is so much detail left on the front side, it makes me wonder if that is normal? If that IS what it is, it is the oldest find to date! Last fall I was floored to find a 1787 Connecticut copper at a different 1700s house.
Very cool. Imagine if that thing could talk.

Kind of crazy they would just chop up a coin like that, but I guess when you don’t have a solution you make one up.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Dulce - I believe you found "two bits."

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
It sure does look like a Phillip V 1/4 cut and holed 2 reales...but I'm not convinced about the mint unless the style of the crown denotes the Segovia mint...the mint mark could have been from other Spanish mints active at the time
But hey it's an awesome piece treasure ..congrats

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Actually, what the OP found was 1/4 of 'two bits'.
This coin is the 'noon to 3' position of the coin. The mint mark (an image of an aquaduct) would be on the '6 to 9' portion of the coin. The reverse side being obscured might be caused by wearing the coin (based on the nail hole) in a position where the reverse side received all the wear and tear. The year of the coin would also be on the obscured side in the '11 to 1' position. It is a Philip coin as Ironhorse described.
Don in SoCal

Last edited:

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
It is a challenge to id some old worn and cut up coins for sure.
The link you provided isnt a reliable one for identifying coins...you have to trust that ebay sellers are knowledgeable and they are not every time
The coin in the listing is Cuenca mint coin not Segovia as listed
As Don mentioned in his post the Segovia mint had a aqueduct as a mintmark

OP
OP
HeatherM

HeatherM

Apr 12, 2020
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right, not the best source! I was hoping to identify quickly and saw two listings and assumed they were correct. So what is the name of what I found? Phillip V real? Basically, what can I tell the owner of the property I found. What might the minted year range be? Sooo out of my normal coin find knowledge! Thank you guys for the help!

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Actually, what the OP found was 1/4 of 'two bits'.
This coin is the 'noon to 3' position of the coin. The mint mark (an image of an aquaduct) would be on the '6 to 9' portion of the coin. The reverse side being obscured might be caused by wearing the coin (based on the nail hole) in a position where the reverse side received all the wear and tear. The year of the coin would also be on the obscured side in the '11 to 1' position. It is a Philip coin as Ironhorse described.
Don in SoCal
Don: It looks like your "of" is a typo - should be "or." The coin is one-quarter of "8 bits" - Originally an 8 reale equivalent in value to one American dollar.

Need change? Wait a moment while I chop up the coin into 8 equal parts - 12 1/2 cents each.

Today one occasionally still hears a US quarter called "two bits."

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

michael NY

Nov 4, 2007
USA
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Coinstrike, F70, Explorer XS, Sovereign XS, Spectrum, IDX PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hunted a new permission today. It is a cattle farm with a run down house from 1700's on it. Did not find much but within first 30 minutes found this right under the grass! I have never found a cut coin before. Searching matches the 1721 Segovia 2 Real the best but I don't know anything about reals so could be wrong. The coin is smooth on the back?? There is so much detail left on the front side, it makes me wonder if that is normal? If that IS what it is, it is the oldest find to date! Last fall I was floored to find a 1787 Connecticut copper at a different 1700s https://coinquest.com/cgi-bin/cq/coins.pl?coin=2334

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!!! Congrats!!!!

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow, such a cool recovery, wtg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread