1722 Colonial Silver, Flintlock brass, one piece Infantry, and more..

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got out to do some swinging and sifting for a few hours Thursday evening, Saturday morning and Yesterday morning for a total of about 12 hours in the field. I've been processing the iron for a post and finally had a chance to catch up and get everything together for photos. I dug HUNDREDS of nails and pieces of iron trying to unmask targets, and on each day, I was able to unmask keepers. Its a TON of work, but boy does it feel good to clear out nails and find a hidden signal.

Forget Thursday and Saturday for a minute... I'm starting with yesterdays sifting trip. I have found that if I think of a strategy on my drive to hunt, then I am more successful. So this time my strategy was to dig a long trench off of a previous section and try to follow the pottery. After about 20 minutes and hand fulls of nails, I flipped over a bunch of dirt and get a really nice tone and pop out another early one piece Infantry button. I'm grinning like a fool at this point and my day was made regardless if anything else turned up. This button is the exact same as the one I got about a month ago and it was only about 15 feet from where I dug the other one. So this gave me a new strategy... thinking there might be a whole jacket of buttons, I decided to expand the pit right towards the location of the first button. So the pit changed directions and I kept excavating and removing nails. There are so many nails that I detect the soil a half dozen or more times before it goes back into the hole... the first time is after I break it up, then after I remove it, then a few times as I'm putting it back in. Its not uncommon to find stuff throughout as I remove the iron and shift the dirt around. I had a fresh pile of dirt that I had only detected once, so I stop to grab a drink and decide to swing over it again... get a slamming 87 on the Deus in the top of the loose dirt pile... I locate the target and go :censored:!

I was holding half of a 2 reales Pistareen from Spain :headbang: I immediately noticed it had a glancing blow by the digger as I scrapped the dirt out of the pit. But when everything is masked with so much iron, this sort of thing happens.

IMG_20160905_082719122.jpg

I could see the last digit of the date, which is a 2, so I knew it was 17?2. I fired off some texts to a few buddies to share my excitement. My good friend BillD (VA) got back to me with some awesome information. This Pistareen has an Aqueduct mint mark denoting it was minted in Segovia Spain. That mint downsized and stopped minting Pistareens in 1729 and of the years it did make pistareens, 1722 was the only year that ended in a 2. In addition, Bill pointed out other features on the coin that were only on the 1721-1724 coins. Bill, thank you so much for your time, help and expertise :thumbsup: Once home, I rinsed it under water and realized the scrape was not as noticeable.

IMG_20160905_115955.jpg

aqueduct mintmark.JPG

Better yet, the mint is still standing! It appears to have been renovated not too long ago and is now a museum and resturant: https://goo.gl/maps/LQ2rhvN6nm12 It blows my mind to look at the building this coin was made in 294 years ago and see the river that powered the presses that made this coin. In addition, the Aqueduct mint mark for Segovia is due to the "Aqueduct of Segovia" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqueduct_of_Segovia) which was built by Romans and was functioning to provide water to Segovia until the mid 19th century.

Segovia Mint.jpg

This coin took a long journey by ship before finally resting in American soil.

world.jpg

This is my second cut silver, and it just so happens both are 1722. I found the last one at the same site more than a year ago. I couldn't be happier with this historic coin!

Now that is out of the way, I can show you guys the rest of the stuff :thumbsup:

IMG_20160906_200323996.jpg

IMG_20160906_200355065.jpg IMG_20160906_200410212.jpg
IMG_20160906_200445326.jpg IMG_20160906_200457319.jpg

I recently added a pulse machine to my arsenal. With a ton of amazing help and guidance from Keith at Fort Bedford Detectors, I purchased a GPX4500. Thursday was my first time out with it. It's going to be a bit of a learning curve and I wont really be able to put it to the test until this winter when some underbrush dies down, but I did however turn up a nice piece of engraved brass with it.

IMG_20160901_174141140.jpg

I thoroughly enjoy the preservation aspect of this hobby, so I decided to anneal and straighten it because as it was twisted, it was not enjoyable to look at. After some heating and cooling, I was able to get it straight and still retain most of the patina. It still broke, but some careful gluing and a few tricks to dirty up the annealed part, I had it looking pretty good.

IMG_20160902_103408.jpg

I realized the etching pattern was very similar to the flintlock patchbox plate I found last year. I opened my book "Collectors Illustrated Encyclopedia of the American Revolution and found a very similar trim piece on the top of a patch box plate. Its strictly ornamental and serves no purpose in the functioning of the patch box.

IMG_20160902_104800.jpg

I pulled my patchbox plate out of the display and it lined up perfectly with the top of the plate. I was thrilled! Its evident that the same person etched both pieces of brass and I have renewed hope that the bottom piece and the hinge are somewhere at this site.

IMG_20160902_131559.jpg

Saturday morning all I got were a few buttons, but one was a sliver of an etched tombac. I knew right away this piece completed a button I had dug about 10 feet away, over a year ago.... a year and 5 months to be exact (http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...nbelievable-site-now-more-believable-now.html) So this was my puzzle piece that completed a relic. Its back together again with a little glue and much nicer now that its complete.

IMG_20160903_123652.jpg IMG_20160903_123838.jpg

Last year I sifted out a matching complete button and a sliver of a third one... so the rest of the other broken one must be there somewhere. Here they are all together again, most likely from the same coat.

IMG_20160903_142655.jpg

Here is the one piece Infantry from yesterday, that led my pit in the direction of the Pistareen!

IMG_20160905_071126390.jpg

It has the same backmark as the other one from a month ago (http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/511544-incredible-one-piece-infantry-button.html)

IMG_20160905_211005621.jpg

The one on the left is the newly found one.

IMG_20160906_204550801.jpg

Here is some of the pottery from the last few days.

IMG_20160905_114312028.jpg

... and the iron! Every one of these signals was totally masked. Its a big gamble opening a section to sift, only to remove the nails and hope they are masking something. I have had many sections that were a bust, but every now and then they are great. I literally move TONS of dirt multiple times, in and out, of a section, while clearing out all the nails. The only plus is that I find many nice rose heads that I tumble and have in a large pile in my display. Its not uncommon for my magnet to attach itself to a dozen or so nails while clearing them out of the dirt.

IMG_20160906_100455679.jpg

Here is about 75% of the iron from the last few days after being tumbled and boiled in hot wax. I didnt count them, but I would guess its upwards of 200 pieces of iron in all shapes and sizes.

IMG_20160906_194939055.jpg

If you made it this far, thanks for reading all that :laughing7: Hopefully the pictures broke up my long winded story... but I was pretty excited about the last few days.

Last edited:
Upvote 41
OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dang Brad - your posts are so well done and fun to read, and each new one outdoes the last. By the time you're finished with this site, if that's even possible, you'll have more than enough material to put together a large book:laughing7:. Great job on researching the Segovia mint too, and I definitely learned something from the info you provided. Congrats again on another outstanding dig, and have fun working on all those reconstructions .....

Thank's a ton man! You've helped me a lot as I fumble my way through this early stuff and continue to learn. I remember sending you pictures of those KG1's from the field and I was holding them upside down and had no clue what it was... then again, with the first cut pistareen when I didn't even know what a "pistareen" was... then again with the CT Copper, when I asked you 'if this is a state copper, I am going to flip out', and most recently with those VA Half pennies from the pit this past winter. :laughing7: So I cant thank you enough for everything. I've hunted a lot of sites in all the years I have detected, but this site has taught me that there is far more down there than we could ever imagine. Although, sometimes it might not be practical or worth the effort to obtain what is masked. It has made me look at every site a little different now and in some cases it is worth moving a lot of dirt by hand to find out what really is down there.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That cut silver, and the story behind it are just awesome Brad. Congrats.

The other finds are just killer.

I have only one question, Why did you set the bar so high?

Thanks a ton Tom! I actually dug up the bar last weekend.... no really, I dug up part of an iron bar. haha Thanks again man.

Your excitement and commitment to this hobby are evident in the quality and quantity of your finds. Thanks for sharing the experience with a detailed write up. Congrats on the cut silver and other awesome relics. You truly have a passion for digging - keep it up!

Thank you screwynewy! Lots of killer stuff turned up last weekend, including your incredible solid silver shoe buckle. :occasion14: There are some awesome posts going on here right now.

Congrats on some great finds and post

Thank you Art!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another fantastic post buddy. I was super psyched to see that cut silver come across my phone screen. I know the silvers not been easy for any of us to find this season. Glad you broke the ice with a really early piece and it's awesome that you could put a date on it. Those buttons are gorgeous as well. I really appreciate your great posts. You are truly committed to the history pal

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of work there Brad, but the results were definitely worth it. I wouldn't be surprised if you pulled an early military plate out of the depths of that site.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Speechless... :notworthy:

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man B-rad, I'm not sure why you bought the GPX since that pit will last you forever and you're digging it all out anyway[emoji1]. I'm in love with the etched piece and even the etched button. You're an inspiration to us all and also a reminder that although detecting the top 6 inches of topsoil is fun, the real stuff is in the pits!! Congrats on the half 2 reale

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful finds Brad, especially the cut pistareen and early 1 piece! Well done on your efforts!

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another fantastic post buddy. I was super psyched to see that cut silver come across my phone screen. I know the silvers not been easy for any of us to find this season. Glad you broke the ice with a really early piece and it's awesome that you could put a date on it. Those buttons are gorgeous as well. I really appreciate your great posts. You are truly committed to the history pal

Thanks a ton buddy! Your success with the GPX is what got me flying out of the house to dig... and I got the flintlock brass that day. Its always awesome getting a text from the field and seeing whats turned up. I have always felt I have bad luck when it comes to silver, so I get really excited to see a piece turn up (even if its modern) and I'm glad I could share my excitement.

A lot of work there Brad, but the results were definitely worth it. I wouldn't be surprised if you pulled an early military plate out of the depths of that site.

Thanks a ton Steve! I did pull a US Box Plate on my second hunt there about a year and a half ago... but that's not really "early" :laughing7: I sure hope you're right man... perhaps the GPX can lock onto something deep. I do have a Springfield 1812 Bayonet and a British Brown Bess Bayonet, lots of CW, but these one piece Infantry are the oldest marked military buttons so far. BTW, sweet collection of Colonial silvers on your new avatar picture :thumbsup:

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Speechless... :notworthy:

Thank you Terry!

Man B-rad, I'm not sure why you bought the GPX since that pit will last you forever and you're digging it all out anyway[emoji1]. I'm in love with the etched piece and even the etched button. You're an inspiration to us all and also a reminder that although detecting the top 6 inches of topsoil is fun, the real stuff is in the pits!! Congrats on the half 2 reale

Thanks a ton Joey! The "pit" or yard isn't at thick with pottery as some sections were, but Mondays hunt made me realize its still worth my efforts. I'm not so sure this site is unlike many sites out there that saw 100+ years of occupancy. I'm glad I didn't give up when the "good" signals dried up, or I wouldn't have half the stuff in my display... it really has made me look at every site a bit different and taught me a lot about the extent of masking. That etched stuff sure is Colonial Art! Of the 100's of buttons, a few have been etched and they are some of my favorite buttons to dig.

IMG_20160907_124449339.jpg

Beautiful finds Brad, especially the cut pistareen and early 1 piece! Well done on your efforts!

Thank you Isaac! Looking forward to seeing what else you pull from your pit :thumbsup:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a ton Steve! I did pull a US Box Plate on my second hunt there about a year and a half ago... but that's not really "early" :laughing7: I sure hope you're right man... perhaps the GPX can lock onto something deep. I do have a Springfield 1812 Bayonet and a British Brown Bess Bayonet, lots of CW, but these one piece Infantry are the oldest marked military buttons so far. BTW, sweet collection of Colonial silvers on your new avatar picture :thumbsup:

You are pulling enough early stuff out of there, including the 1820s Infantry buttons and other military items, that there is a distinct possibility of finding an early plate - something that's on my bucket list. I posted the new Spanish group shot on the Best Finds forum. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. Won't have to take another one for a while - LOL. You can copy it to your desk top and blow it up if you want to see more detail http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/my-best-finds/514660-group-shot-all-my-spanish-silver.html

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
You are pulling enough early stuff out of there, including the 1820s Infantry buttons and other military items, that there is a distinct possibility of finding an early plate - something that's on my bucket list. I posted the new Spanish group shot on the Best Finds forum. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. Won't have to take another one for a while - LOL. You can copy it to your desk top and blow it up if you want to see more detail http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/my-best-finds/514660-group-shot-all-my-spanish-silver.html

I saw your new pic and have been really wanting to zoom in! I like the swirls Steve - it's hypnotizing....

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are a relic recovery machine! Of course, I love the old cut silver; but I find myself visually going through everything - eye candy! Congrats on some great finds and thanks for sharing!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DANG OA YOU GOT SOME NICE FINDS THERE. POTTERY SHERDS ARE NEET .YOU GOT SOME REALLY OLD PEICES OF POTTERY THERE .

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I zoomed all around! Just awesome man... it never gets old seeing piles of colonial silvers. :thumbsup: If an early plate turns up, you'll hear me shouting all the way in PA :laughing7: If its there, its either very deep, heavily masked, or a rouge signal on the far fringe, since I have beat this place up in a year and a half.

You are a relic recovery machine! Of course, I love the old cut silver; but I find myself visually going through everything - eye candy! Congrats on some great finds and thanks for sharing!

Thanks Tommy! I also stare at the collage of relics laid out on the black mat and drool before they get dissolved into the main case for this site. Like the cloth around your hem weight, this pit has produced some very well preserved wood and bone handle utensils.

DANG OA YOU GOT SOME NICE FINDS THERE. POTTERY SHERDS ARE NEET .YOU GOT SOME REALLY OLD PEICES OF POTTERY THERE .

Thanks a ton Sutphin! If I make any reconstructions out of the boxes of shards, I will be sure to share them on here this winter. Its like someone opened 50 puzzle boxes, then scattered and buried all the pieces across a large area :laughing7: I have to dig up and figure out which pieces go to which puzzle and hope I have them all. ha

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Remember the movie High Anxiety .......

Haha, yes. I'm a Mel Brooks comedy fan!

To the OP, Brad I can't believe Steve bombed your thread with a link to his Spanish silver swirl. Hahaha! Nice Steve!!

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haha, yes. I'm a Mel Brooks comedy fan!

To the OP, Brad I can't believe Steve bombed your thread with a link to his Spanish silver swirl. Hahaha! Nice Steve!!

Haha. I actually like it when people share stuff on my threads. On topic or off topic, it doesn't matter to me... I get to know you guys better and maybe see something I missed, like Steve's best of post.

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a spectacular post--thanks! Excellent dig. Love how you are finding duplicate buttons! ~Lisa & John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread