Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Been MIA on TNet for a few weeks while flying back and forth from the desert. My new site has produced some crazy finds recently...colonial gold ring, rattlesnake, and a counterfeit 2 escudos to name a few...so I was itching to get back out. Before I left, a good buddy Brad (OutdoorAdv) offered to cook a bit of iron for me from the site and the results did not disappoint. Arriving home and opening the iron package was basically relic hunter Christmas :laughing7:

Here's the before (cannon ball was a recook from a previous dig)

64503.jpeg

After electrolysis and a wax seal

20181101_175814.jpg 20181101_175551.jpg 20181101_175714.jpg 20181101_175643.jpg 20181101_175606.jpg 20181101_175610.jpg

Hard to choose favorites, but the 2 pound (lead filled) plantation scale weight is pretty cool. Huge thanks for Brad for his time and efforts.

Back to yesterday evening's dig- got back on the same section of dirt that had produced the early 1700s scatter. This was my first target with the HF elliptical coil among the iron

20181029_133857.jpg

I've been fortunate to dig the half penny and the twopence varieties, but this penny rounds out the set. A bit of background William Wood, owner of several copper and tin mines, hoped to make a profit producing coins for use in Ireland and America. Through the king's mistress, the Duchess of Kendal, he was able to obtain a royal indenture to produce coins for Ireland on June 16, 1722. Soon thereafter the Duchess assisted Wood in obtaining a second indenture on July 22, 1722, authorizing him to produce one hundred tons of coins for the American colonies over a period of fourteen years for an annual fee of £300 to the king (£100 in rent directly to the king and £200 to the clerk comptroller) . The coins were made of an alloy called Bath metal composed of 75% brass, 20% zinc (mixed with tin and bismuth) and 5% silver and were to weigh slightly less than half the weight of English coins. The Bath metal planchets had to be hot when they were impressed between the dies to keep the dies from cracking. The heating of the planchets caused gas bubbles to form in the metal, as the planchets were struck while they were hot, these small bubbles did not have a chance to escape and therefore they produced a porous surface on the coins, often with some discoloration. Wood was authorized to make 120 halfpence to the pound (compared to forty-six halfpence to the pound at the Tower of London mint) which, according to Mossman, would yield a 140% profit after adjusting for production costs. Unfortunately, Wood had been required to pay the Duchess of Kendal £10,000 for his Irish indenture (apparently no additional charge was incurred for the American colonial indenture) so he was forced to mint his coins at an even lower weight in order to return a profit! These lightweight coins were not accepted by the colonists. Wood's penny was similar to a London halfpenny and his halfpenny was like the farthing, while his twopence did not correspond in weight to any currently circulating coin. In New York, merchants refused to accept the coins, while the General Assembly of Massachusetts in June of 1722 authorized the printing of £500 in one penny, two pence and three pence paper bills, rather than accept the Rosa Americana coins! Nevertheless, some colonies did accept them, although only reluctantly and only in limited quantities. Among fifty-nine coins found during the restoration of Colonial Williamsburg, two were Rosa Americana pennies dated 1722.

Because his coins were not accepted, and therefore no profits could be realized, Wood stopped minting coins in 1723. A few pattern Rosa Americana coins were produced in 1724, and after Wood's death in 1730, an undated twopence pattern was produced (assigned to 1733) by the successors to his coining patent; no further large scale minting was undertaken.

Here's the toothpick cleaning progression - 1722 Rosa Americana Penny

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 20181101_180710.jpg

3 varieties reunited

20181101_183454.jpg

Did have a bit of success with buttons as well- this 1 piece patriotic eagle is the 3rd from the site

20181101_181919.jpg

One piece gilt with paste stone inlay

20181101_181828.jpg

The best flats

20181101_181709.jpg

Also dug a horse curb chain

20181101_182036.jpg

Thimbles

20181101_182128.jpg

That about covers the spread, adding another rare copper certainly scratches the itch. Looking forward to getting back out in the dirt this weekend. Thanks for you comments and for looking.

20181101_182618.jpg 20181101_182804.jpg

Upvote 35

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow awesome finds! What a fantastic site you have! Congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Aureus, digging another Rosa was the last thing I expected. This is definitely the earliest site I've ever been on

Well I've never dug a such an early copper coin in North America (my earliest is 1733 GII) . What an amazing site it must be!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice!!!!! You don't see many of those. Great digs altogether :occasion14:

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice coin.. congrats

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing short of amazing that's some great stuff Thanks for sharing them Well done My Friend

gheenoe78

Nov 21, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get some buddy! That's an awesome coin. Almost 300 years old. Well done.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic hunt! :notworthy:

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have words that would sufficiently describe just how awesome this find is. Suffice it to say that I put a banner vote in for it. Your recovery, cleaning, and preservation of this unique piece of 300 year-old American history is superb!

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys,

Been MIA on TNet for a few weeks while flying back and forth from the desert. My new site has produced some crazy finds recently...colonial gold ring, rattlesnake, and a counterfeit 2 escudos to name a few...so I was itching to get back out. Before I left, a good buddy Brad (OutdoorAdv) offered to cook a bit of iron for me from the site and the results did not disappoint. Arriving home and opening the iron package was basically relic hunter Christmas :laughing7:

Here's the before (cannon ball was a recook from a previous dig)

View attachment 1648124

After electrolysis and a wax seal

View attachment 1648125 View attachment 1648126 View attachment 1648127 View attachment 1648128 View attachment 1648129 View attachment 1648130

Hard to choose favorites, but the 2 pound (lead filled) plantation scale weight is pretty cool. Huge thanks for Brad for his time and efforts.

Back to yesterday evening's dig- got back on the same section of dirt that had produced the early 1700s scatter. This was my first target with the HF elliptical coil among the iron

View attachment 1648131

I've been fortunate to dig the half penny and the twopence varieties, but this penny rounds out the set. A bit of background William Wood, owner of several copper and tin mines, hoped to make a profit producing coins for use in Ireland and America. Through the king's mistress, the Duchess of Kendal, he was able to obtain a royal indenture to produce coins for Ireland on June 16, 1722. Soon thereafter the Duchess assisted Wood in obtaining a second indenture on July 22, 1722, authorizing him to produce one hundred tons of coins for the American colonies over a period of fourteen years for an annual fee of £300 to the king (£100 in rent directly to the king and £200 to the clerk comptroller) . The coins were made of an alloy called Bath metal composed of 75% brass, 20% zinc (mixed with tin and bismuth) and 5% silver and were to weigh slightly less than half the weight of English coins. The Bath metal planchets had to be hot when they were impressed between the dies to keep the dies from cracking. The heating of the planchets caused gas bubbles to form in the metal, as the planchets were struck while they were hot, these small bubbles did not have a chance to escape and therefore they produced a porous surface on the coins, often with some discoloration. Wood was authorized to make 120 halfpence to the pound (compared to forty-six halfpence to the pound at the Tower of London mint) which, according to Mossman, would yield a 140% profit after adjusting for production costs. Unfortunately, Wood had been required to pay the Duchess of Kendal £10,000 for his Irish indenture (apparently no additional charge was incurred for the American colonial indenture) so he was forced to mint his coins at an even lower weight in order to return a profit! These lightweight coins were not accepted by the colonists. Wood's penny was similar to a London halfpenny and his halfpenny was like the farthing, while his twopence did not correspond in weight to any currently circulating coin. In New York, merchants refused to accept the coins, while the General Assembly of Massachusetts in June of 1722 authorized the printing of £500 in one penny, two pence and three pence paper bills, rather than accept the Rosa Americana coins! Nevertheless, some colonies did accept them, although only reluctantly and only in limited quantities. Among fifty-nine coins found during the restoration of Colonial Williamsburg, two were Rosa Americana pennies dated 1722.

Because his coins were not accepted, and therefore no profits could be realized, Wood stopped minting coins in 1723. A few pattern Rosa Americana coins were produced in 1724, and after Wood's death in 1730, an undated twopence pattern was produced (assigned to 1733) by the successors to his coining patent; no further large scale minting was undertaken.

Here's the toothpick cleaning progression - 1722 Rosa Americana Penny

View attachment 1648134 View attachment 1648135 View attachment 1648136 View attachment 1648137

3 varieties reunited

View attachment 1648138

Did have a bit of success with buttons as well- this 1 piece patriotic eagle is the 3rd from the site

View attachment 1648139

One piece gilt with paste stone inlay

View attachment 1648140

The best flats

View attachment 1648141

Also dug a horse curb chain

View attachment 1648142

Thimbles

View attachment 1648143

That about covers the spread, adding another rare copper certainly scratches the itch. Looking forward to getting back out in the dirt this weekend. Thanks for you comments and for looking.

View attachment 1648144 View attachment 1648145 [/QUOT

Very nice finds! Congrats on the coin and thanks for the back story on it! Love that history!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great site. Love the buttons, but the 1722 coin is a truly special find. Cleaning/preserving old copper coins is challenging. I’ve tried toothpicking, dry brushing, andres pencils, peroxide, etc. You never know how far is too far until you’ve past the line... Looks like you are doing a great job. Congrats!

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great to see that site still producing quality relics Jon. Congrats on digging your third Rosa from there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread