jangrok

Dec 27, 2012
New Jersey
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Nox 800, Garret ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been at this hobby for 15 years (took a good 8-10 year break in my 20's) but since 2020 I've been out most weekends. I've found so many 1800s homesites and foundations lost to time and memory in the woods of PA and NJ. and I've found amazing relics, half cents, IHP, you name it, but I've finally found an identifiable coin from the 1700s. was out with my best friend at a beautiful 1790s stone estate with 150 acres of pristine farm fields. he had secured this permission a week earlier. the property had a sprawling front yard with a beautiful stone spring house with crystal clear water running through it that settled in a crystal clear pond that you could see directly to the bottom. my buddy has found a large cent near the spring house a week before, so I decided to take shot with my Deus II. the EMI was incredibly bad being that there was a telephone pole with a transformer and an underground cable running directly to this spring house. the ground was saturated and muddy, but I got a signal which I thought was another aluminum bottle cap, rang up 90 on the Deus. to my surprise there was a green disc staring up at me when I pulled the plug. I thought it was a large cent which had me shaking because I had never found a largie before. upon further inspection and cleaning later at home, I could make out the left facing bust and a roman numeral "2" at the top right of the coin, flipped to the reverse, I could see Britannia. with very careful cleaning and a flashlight hitting it just right, I could make out a "38" where the date would be. now its time for me to find the elusive large cent, trime, and 2 cent coin that have been eluding me for years. Happy Hunting!

Attachments

• IMG_8916.JPG
    IMG_8916.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_8917.JPG
    IMG_8917.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 57
Upvote 20

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy smokes!!!! That coin is older than dirt itself. A big high 5 to you on a fantastic find.
You folks up north always have me jealous of the old coins you dig up there.
Congrats,
MM

OP
OP
jangrok

jangrok

Dec 27, 2012
New Jersey
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy smokes!!!! That coin is older than dirt itself. A big high 5 to you on a fantastic find.
You folks up north always have me jealous of the old coins you dig up there.
Congrats,
MM
Thank you! 285 years old. the goal is to break into the 1600s in 2024 but that's a tall order lol. still waiting to find a Real

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on digging 18th century copper. Itโ€™s finds like that one that will keep you motivated. Good luck with your other bucket listers.

OP
OP
jangrok

jangrok

Dec 27, 2012
New Jersey
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on digging 18th century copper. Itโ€™s finds like that one that will keep you motivated. Good luck with your other bucket listers.
I think your well wishes of good luck on my other bucket listers paid off! went out for a quick hunt a few hours after your comment and pulled my first large cent. 1812.

Attachments

• IMG_8935.JPG
    IMG_8935.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8940.JPG
    IMG_8940.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 7

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think your well wishes of good luck on my other bucket listers paid off! went out for a quick hunt a few hours after your comment and pulled my first large cent. 1812.
Outstanding! Such a historic date too. Make sure you do a separate post for that one so it gets the attention it deserves.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been at this hobby for 15 years (took a good 8-10 year break in my 20's) but since 2020 I've been out most weekends. I've found so many 1800s homesites and foundations lost to time and memory in the woods of PA and NJ. and I've found amazing relics, half cents, IHP, you name it, but I've finally found an identifiable coin from the 1700s. was out with my best friend at a beautiful 1790s stone estate with 150 acres of pristine farm fields. he had secured this permission a week earlier. the property had a sprawling front yard with a beautiful stone spring house with crystal clear water running through it that settled in a crystal clear pond that you could see directly to the bottom. my buddy has found a large cent near the spring house a week before, so I decided to take shot with my Deus II. the EMI was incredibly bad being that there was a telephone pole with a transformer and an underground cable running directly to this spring house. the ground was saturated and muddy, but I got a signal which I thought was another aluminum bottle cap, rang up 90 on the Deus. to my surprise there was a green disc staring up at me when I pulled the plug. I thought it was a large cent which had me shaking because I had never found a largie before. upon further inspection and cleaning later at home, I could make out the left facing bust and a roman numeral "2" at the top right of the coin, flipped to the reverse, I could see Britannia. with very careful cleaning and a flashlight hitting it just right, I could make out a "38" where the date would be. now its time for me to find the elusive large cent, trime, and 2 cent coin that have been eluding me for years. Happy Hunting!
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread