1739 Philipus One Reale, 1782 Carolus 2 Reale, Crotal Bell, Several Relics

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This past week did not start well as I had just returned from a cruise and has to face the chaos of trying to finish up a job ahead of the original timeline. To make matters worse I had to send my T2 into First Texas for repair and was pretty bummed that I wouldn't be able to detect this weekend.
I had posted on a local site this week a few finds and also mentioned that I had to have my machine repaired. Before I knew it a guy that I had taken to one of my sites called me and told me I could use his spare machine. I was thinking "I'm glad I helped that guy out":-). Two days later another guy that had bought a new T2 and asked me to help him learn it called me. I had invited him up twice and taught him a few things about his machine and put him on an old site. He asked me to come borrow his T2 until I get mine back. He has two other machines to use. So the weekend was looking up and I felt like karma had worked exactly the way it was supposed to.
I got out early Saturday morning and searched for an 18th century fort site that I've hunted for in the past unsuccessfully. I had pretty much decided that the history books were wrong about the location of this place. Sure enough it was about 1/4 mile from where they said it was. I knew I was in the right place as I started digging lots of round balls. I dug quite a few up on a knoll where I believed the fort stood. Several had been impacted.
image.jpg
image.jpg
I also dug a 3 ringer and one very old looking key.
image.jpg
image.jpg
I made my way down towards the water and got an 88 at 6". I told myself it was prob a dropped quarter by a hunter or something. Glad I was wrong. My second Spanish Silver. Another beautiful 2 Reale in great condition. 1782 Carolus iii. :headbang:
image.jpg
image.jpg
About a foot away I got an 81 and dug a big plug. Unfortunately this area is very rocky and the rocks are packed in tight. Apparently this coin was stuck between some rocks and when I was prying the so called plug I snapped my oldest silver coin in half:BangHead: I pulled out two pieces of a silver something and later realized it was a Phillipus One Reale. 1739. I'm really upset with myself for breaking it but I am super psyched about the find and I'm not gonna beat myself up over it. It happened and it's over. At least it wasn't a tree coin :tongue3:
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Soon after I dug my 2nd Crotal bell ever and nicest one by far. It's got an S and an N for a makers mark. I believe it stands for Seth North. This would be around 1800 if it is in fact made by him. I'm really happy with this bell.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I also found a few other random relics and one item that I am totally baffled about but I'm sure one of my smart friends on Tnet will know. It looks like rabbit ears. Very strange piece.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I'm so thankful to my great md buds. Without them these finds never would have happened. I'll buy the beers next time fellas :icon_thumleft:
image.jpg

Upvote 19

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay! I'm not embarrassed to admit my ignorance when it comes to coins. Prior to January when I started metal detecting I knew nothing about old coins. Now I know a bit about US coins from the late 1800s through the 1960s. When I see the coins guys in the northeast find it is mind boggling. I love reading all the posts and seeing photos of all of the 18th century coins knowing I am highly unlikely to find one that old. I have no clue what a tree coin is but hope everyone up that way finds one for their collections.

Ahab, once again you've found some fantastic old coins. You might attribute it to Karma but I chalk it up to skill, research, and perseverance. Congratulations on such nice coins.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay! I'm not embarrassed to admit my ignorance when it comes to coins. Prior to January when I started metal detecting I knew nothing about old coins. Now I know a bit about US coins from the late 1800s through the 1960s. When I see the coins guys in the northeast find it is mind boggling. I love reading all the posts and seeing photos of all of the 18th century coins knowing I am highly unlikely to find one that old. I have no clue what a tree coin is but hope everyone up that way finds one for their collections. Ahab, once again you've found some fantastic old coins. You might attribute it to Karma but I chalk it up to skill, research, and perseverance. Congratulations on such nice coins.
Thank you Beez. I will say that I do a TON of research and try to put myself in great spots.
The tree coin I refer to is a 1652 Massachusettes shilling. The made these with willow, oak, and pine trees on them. They do not show up often and you have to be on some very old sites to have a shot at one. It's my white whale :-)

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome my friend! I've found my share of Spanish silvers but never two (or in your case, 3) in one hunt!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way...the mystery piece is part of a copper pot. The piece you found is riveted to to the rim to hold the handle. Keep looking, you may find the other!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very very nice finds. Congrats.

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Man! Don't feel too bad...I did the EXACT same thing this past weekend to a regimental civil war hat number. D'oh!!!!!!!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on a nice hunt. Two Spanish silvers in a day is a good day!

Dr.Tones

Jan 7, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! what a great spot you have there!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Romeo is right, Abe. Your mystery piece is part of a pot. I found the same thing this past Christmas Day but didn't know what it was until Bill D posted one he had found and someone ID'ed it. Congrats on your silvers. I bet ya IP feels like Japan "waking the Sleeping Dragon" now, lol!
2yjeme9u.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IP I've got em on the run now! They better move faster or I'll break em in half like I did that poor reale

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Man! Don't feel too bad...I did the EXACT same thing this past weekend to a regimental civil war hat number. D'oh!!!!!!!!
Thanks bud I'm just glad it wasn't my first Spanish silver that I broke. I'm over it. Whatcha gonna do. Just try to be more careful next time

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Romeo is right, Abe. Your mystery piece is part of a pot. I found the same thing this past Christmas Day but didn't know what it was until Bill D posted one he had found and someone ID'ed it. Congrats on your silvers. I bet ya IP feels like Japan "waking the Sleeping Dragon" now, lol!
Ha ha that's funny bud. Hope it continues for me. Got some great sites for sure

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds. I'm glad to hear that you can move on from the damaged coin. Those things will happen. I found a 1600's baldric buckle fragment (for a sword) last year; it was only a fragment, one half of the buckle, but it was so cool. Well, it's lost again. Don't ask me how. It's a long story. But I just move on to the next site, the next signal, the next hole. The other Spanish coin you recovered is killer. I believe that your rusted iron piece is possibly a jaw harp, not a key. It looks like a jaw harp, and I recall seeing some made of iron. Get back to that site!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds. I'm glad to hear that you can move on from the damaged coin. Those things will happen. I found a 1600's baldric buckle fragment (for a sword) last year; it was only a fragment, one half of the buckle, but it was so cool. Well, it's lost again. Don't ask me how. It's a long story. But I just move on to the next site, the next signal, the next hole. The other Spanish coin you recovered is killer. I believe that your rusted iron piece is possibly a jaw harp, not a key. It looks like a jaw harp, and I recall seeing some made of iron. Get back to that site!
Thanks for the info buddy. I think you may be right about the harp. Thats a real bummer about your buckle fragment. Not every day you find a nice 17th century item but this stuff happens and what are you gonna do. As you said its all about the next target. Good luck out there

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IP I've got em on the run now! They better move faster or I'll break em in half like I did that poor reale

You have so many now you can afford to break the odd one! :)

Good to see your research is paying off!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have so many now you can afford to break the odd one! :) Good to see your research is paying off!
Thanks bud. Yeah I only collect 1782 2 reales now :-)

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very sweet, glad your luck is staying good for you. I wouldn't beat myself up for a broken reale, with rocks there may not of been a normal way of digging to have retrieved that coin. I have dug in some rocky places thinking there would be no way of not hurting the target. Good work, nothing good comes easy!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread