1740 King George Copper?

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Went to a nearby corn field to try my chances there. After a half hour or so, found a nice tombac button (not pictured). Not 5 minutes later the e-Trac signaled something that sounded a little bit like lead. Dug about 4 or 5 inches and out popped a coin! It's slightly larger than a nickel and I think it's some form of King George copper. Can anyone tell me the exact name? I don't have much knowledge on pre-1793 U.S. coins. Date looks to be 1740?

I want to try cleaning it, but there's some flaking on the edges so I'm deathly afraid to touch it any more. Any suggestions on cleaning? Or just leave it as-is?

Thanks and happy digging! This is my first 1700s coin!!!!

Attachments

• MVC-002F obv resized.jpg
    MVC-002F obv resized.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 951
  • MVC-003F rev resized.jpg
    MVC-003F rev resized.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 935
Upvote 0

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Probably a British half-penny. In the UK I've seen them throw these 1700s coppers in the bucket :( - I was quite shocked the first time I hunted there - here it's a wonderful find! I'd give it a hydrogen peroxide bath to clean it up. Congrats on finding a coin from the 1700's here in the States -- they don't get much older here! Should clean up and display well! :thumbsup:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a 1740 King George II. Congrats!!
Warm Hydrogen Peroxide, soft toothbrush or rub gently between the fingers, rinse with distilled water, then soft wax or vaseline to seal it. Alternative is just a dry soft toothbrush and leave it alone. With the patina flaking off you don't want to get too agressive. You don't want to lose the patina or you will lose detail on that coin.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drum roll please... It's called a British King George II Farthing!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Ahh yes....key words "slightly larger than a nickel" missed that :laughing7:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve in PA said:
Iron Patch said:

Don't need it, halfpenny and Farthing are easy to tell apart.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Steve in PA said:
Iron Patch said:

I have only dug a handful of farthings. But I have always noticed there is a lot of room for the date under Britannia compared to halfpennys. What else is different?

Attachments

• Farthings 002.jpg
    Farthings 002.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 1,109

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, that's an AWESOME piece of history so don't worry about "what its worth in the U.K." Congrats on your first 1700s Coin! Great find!! :hello2: :icon_thumleft: :wink:

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice oldie ! Nice find Testing ! You have 1 for your own bucket now ! I would be estatic with that coin ! It will take a fair amount of scouting and hunting to beat the date ! good luck ! MaineRelic

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
The reason it sounded like lead is that it most likely has quite a bit of lead content, as do many counterfeit coppers. Lately all of mine have been falling in the "lead zone" which is usually somewhere between zinc pennies and Indian Heads.

Nice find! I have yet to dig a farthing!

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Anytime a Farthing pops out, you are having a good day. :icon_thumleft:

Kirk

Marc(NB)

Apr 21, 2008
N.B. Canada
Detector(s) used
currently use Sov XS2A Pro,Ace 250,past detectors Garrett 1000 PM,Whites Prizm 2,Fisher 1280X,Tesoro Golden Umax
nice old coin,as far as cleaning it ,its a game of chance.I would leave it alone,you do see the date and thats what count! :thumbsup:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Erik in NJ said:
Probably a British half-penny. In the UK I've seen them throw these 1700s coppers in the bucket :( - I was quite shocked the first time I hunted there - here it's a wonderful find! I'd give it a hydrogen peroxide bath to clean it up. Congrats on finding a coin from the 1700's here in the States -- they don't get much older here! Should clean up and display well! :thumbsup:

Hi Eric.
Your right many of us chuck it in a buckle to be recycled/sold but it is a matter of context. The more you find the less appeal it has. It would be like you collecting & keeping all your zinc pennies from the 1970s.
I do however, totally get why this is a good find in the US & should be enjoyed like we enjoy our various finds.
If you follow this site, you will see much older & I myself have been amazed at the amount of early 1600s & some 1500s finds that have turn up on the Eastern Coast :o

Testing123,
Big congrats on your first, it makes it a special find, its what detecting is all about (for me), along with many other aspects. I have my fav's, but a first can be any age or value for me & its special. So keep enjoying the thrill of the hunt & soon you will beat it again!

OP
OP
testing123

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Re: 1740 King George II Farthing!

Thanks for the info and comments everyone! I think I'll leave it alone and not try cleaning it. Just seems like more harm will be done than good since the edges show flaking.

One item from my Top Ten Want List has now been checked off!

Just curious, what was the date range this design was minted?

HH all!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve in PA said:
Iron Patch said:
Steve in PA said:
Iron Patch said:

I have only dug a handful of farthings. But I have always noticed there is a lot of room for the date under Britannia compared to halfpennys. What else is different?

Along with the spacing Britannia in general is different. If your only interest in British coins is because of detecting it's simply a case of not seeing the Farthing design enough for it to have sunk in your head. If you compare a couple of high grade ones you'll see the obvious difference, and after a few minutes probably be able to tell what is what, and in the future too.

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
A Farthing is more special when found in the states when compared to a Halfpenny. I found my first, a beautiful 1749 one this year. Keep up the good work.
chris

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread