1741 Matanceros Shipwreck Items - What are they worth?

BenjaminE

Jun 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Everyone,

I have been a lurker on this forum, for the most part. Now, I am asking for some help. I recovered a number of items, from the area where the Matanceros shipwreck occurred, near Akumal, Mexico. I have photos here of the items. And, I am curious to know what they might be worth.

Here are some notes:

- The small "balls" in the upper left are made from lead, and probably are cannon shot, or black powder balls
- The round lead objects in the lower left are textile seals. They have a crown and a lion on one side, and the letters M-A-D-R-ID on the other side.
- The small buckles towards the center are brass shoe buckles.
- I do not know what the white curved objects are, in the center right.
- Miniature knife handle center right
- Brass cinch buckle upper right
- Possible brass/copper ear spool upper right
- Possibly crystal ear spool upper right
- Three pieces of jewelry, and button, center right.

I have a diver friend who reports that he found a green emerald in the area. I don't know what that might be worth, and I have not seen it, myself.

I am just curious as to the possible value of these items. Obviously, it is not gold. He he he. If this post is in the wrong place, maybe someone can repost somewhere else.

Thanks,

Ben

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No clue to value but that is really cool stuff

OP
OP
B

BenjaminE

Jun 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I love history. And, it is pretty amazing digging the stuff up. Also, I do not know whether the brass earspool object is from the wreck. It was found close to shore. It was really deep, and took about a half an hour to dig up.

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Ben... Very cool finds! I used to own a really ornate brass buckle from that wreck as well. I sold mine for $75...

Historical artifact valuation is never clear cut but the one simple thing that I have come to realize over the years is that antiques and historical items can be priced at whatever you think they are worth but truly they are only worth what folks will pay for them...

OP
OP
B

BenjaminE

Jun 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input, Phips.

I am in need of another detector. And, I have had people offer to buy the artifacts - especially the crosses. But, I am afraid I might undersell them. I was thinking of selling the crosses for $50 dollars each. Maybe I should just put the whole lot up on Ebay...

Thanks,

Ben

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would suggest imaging on a flat black background with some sort of a grid bar or something for size reference.. Some of the artefacts could be easily cleaned up a bit to remove the encrustations without affecting the artefact.
Looking at some of them, did you conserve these at all? I mean at least soak them for quite a while in freshwater?

Not sure about an ear spool, that would have been a very large ear to handle that

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would also soak them in fresh water to remove the salt. Salt will eventually shatter some items, especially ceramics. I did that with some glass and ceramics. I used an aquarium hydrometer to test the water after the items had been soaked, after a few weeks, and several water changes, the hydrometer finally read zero salt coming out of the items. Really nice items.

OP
OP
B

BenjaminE

Jun 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, that is a good point on soaking the items.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the spalling on the shot seems to mean there is still salt present.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a cool bunch of artifacts. No clue to the prices. I would love to find something like that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions