1749 British Halfpenny

gxray

Jan 30, 2009
I bought a 1749 British halfpenny at a country auction. It's a Georgius II. I was wondering what its approximate value might be. I saw one on Ebay sell for $40 and on another auction site for $600. I realize that condition is a major factor. This coin has a lot of detail but I dont know what it would grade at since i know very little about grading coins. I would include a pic but my cam is worthless for closeups and fine detail. Pics come out too blurry.
Any help would be appreciated.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A completed listing search on ebay brings a lot of closed auctions, all sold for less than $10. If yours is high grade it would probably go higher. The really interesting part is the story behind the 1749's. There were huge quantities of 1749 halfpennies and farthings shipped to Massachusets to help pay the colonies for help in fighting the French and Indians. The coins were shipped in casks on the ship "Mermaid". Many of the 1749 coins in this country came from this source. While there is no way to tell if any individual coin came from this source, there is a good possibility.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions