1752 colonial house with some decent finds

Zachbl92

Nov 8, 2015
Quinton, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro, Teknetics G2+, Garret AT pinpointer, deteknix xpointer, gray ghost originals
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey all, I got out today and door knocked with my girlfriend. First permission was a renter so we got the name of the guy who owns it and have followe up but are waiting a response. Great land that place has.
But ended up at a 1752 house I've been wanting to knock that has a minor rev war battle next too. Pull up and the guys mowing the lawn and he stops to talk.
Talk for about 5 minutes, funny guy, very easy to talk too and I was unusually not shy. So then I mention me and my girlfriend got into a hobby of detecting about almost a year ago. He looks down and laughs. I asked I'm probably not the first to ask, huh? And he replies that the house and fields have been hit, inch by inch the past 20+ years by several people including people who had tons of research done of the house but still says I can detect whereever I want. And I say honestly, it's not just about finding coins or relics and preserving and learning the history but it's about the exercise, getting out of the house and meeting new people and such. So we go on to talk probably a total of 30+ minutes about a bunch of stuff before I start detecting.
Girlfriend had pinpointer duty as her g2+ battery was dead somehow!
So we detect for about 45 minutes and I get a 1883 Indian right off the bat, not deep, not near trash probably 4" down. Followed by some more coins and my first Rosie dime! Finally. All this history and great finds I finally got my first silver Rosie, I was super excited. So I detect the last 15 by myself and I end up roaming and finding nothing. Walk back detecting towards my gf and the car,headphones half on and I hear a faint signal right next to the driveway...turn up the sens..was on 5/8 with the tornado on at pro.. Was at 7/8 and it was still faint but repeatable and clear. Low 80s vdi as it was DEEP and you at pro guys know the vdi isn't so great on deep coins. So I'm digging for like 5 minutes. Go through about 8" of soil and then 4-6" of small rocks and finally get to the 1837 best condition large cent I've ever found. Was super excited! Ended up going and showing him and his wife my finds with my gf and we talked about everything and anything for a little over a hour. He welcomed me back anytime and is going to look into some great fields with rev war activity and his wife also knows some farmers as well. So it was a great day and the treasure was really talking and getting to know these great people. Thanks for looking and if you read this whole book, great for you and thanks again!
Gl and hh all
Zach

Attachments

• 20160904_003556.png
    20160904_003556.png
    670.2 KB · Views: 128
  • 20160904_003636.jpg
    20160904_003636.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Upvote 18
Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beautiful large cent. Congratulations on your great day!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are pretty good finds for a yard thats been hit inch by inch for 20 years. I'd go back a few more times before I write that one off.

gold panner

May 22, 2016
vermont
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug
at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds I still have yet to get a large cent!

OP
OP
Z

Zachbl92

Nov 8, 2015
Quinton, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro, Teknetics G2+, Garret AT pinpointer, deteknix xpointer, gray ghost originals
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are pretty good finds for a yard thats been hit inch by inch for 20 years. I'd go back a few more times before I write that one off.
Thanks all!
That's what I told Ron, the owner. For being detected as much as he said...it was a great almost 1 hour of detecting. Can't wait to get into the fields in the fall!

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post..I also enjoy talking to the homeowners, gives you a good feel for what's there..also leads to a crack at the neighboring properties..great LC and others, nice hunt ddf..

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh what fun, Zach! Congrats! How nice for the property owner to be so cordial. -Lisa & John

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice LC and good job pulling some keepers out of a pounded permission

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job Zach. I love seeing the early finds. Keep on doing the research buddy and it will get better and better

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread