🥇 BANNER 1761 Two Reales, 1803 Draped Bust dime, and a heavey dose of heartbreak

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started hunting a new field this past winter/spring. The finds were scattered, but there was enough to encourage me that I might find a nice piece of early silver in this field. The first two short hunts had yielded 7 buttons and 4 toasted coppers. The only identifiable copper was a Draped Bust large cent. Last week I finally got a text from a member of the family that owns the field saying that the hay had finally been cut. I made plans with my buddy Tom to visit the field on Saturday. Saturday was hot and humid, the bugs were swarming us, the ground was dry and hard as a rock, and the hay stubble was making it difficult to get the coil close to the soil.
After 3.5 hours we had enough and called it a day. I had recovered 5 buttons (one of which I lost), 3 musketballs, and a well worn 1761 Two Reales. The Spanish silver was tarnished pretty dark. Since it was already so worn, I used a little baking soda and water to lightened it up. Tom ended up with a couple buttons, a couple musketballs, and a worn, unidentifiable copper.

Sunday morning, I had about and hour and half to kill. I had planned to hit a lot in town where they had just torn down a house, but the property owner wasn't home. Since we had some heavy thunderstorms Saturday evening, I though maybe the hay field had been softened up some. When I got to the field it was overcast and misting. I grabbed my gear out of my jeep and headed into the field. I walked out to where I wanted to start hunting, turned on my machine, and within a few feet I had a signal that was bouncing around some, but definitely good enough to investigate. I removed some dirt and the signal improved to a constant mid 70s on my F75. At this point I thought it would turn out to be another thin corroded copper. The ground in this section of the field is very rocky, almost like digging in a gravel parking lot. I finally had the target in the dirt pile beside the hole and saw it was a silver coin. I picked it up and took a look. I could see part of the date 180_, and also the bottom of the bust. I knew it wasn't bust profile of a Spanish coin. Now I'm getting excited, but I didn't want to do a field cleaning. I slipped it into a little plastic zip lock bag and put it in my finds container. Before I could fill in the hole, the heavens opened up and I had to high tail it out of the field. That was my hunt - one target, one hole dug, one silver coin in my pouch. I returned to my parents where I was staying over the weekend, and rinsed the dirt of the coin in the kitchen sink. When I saw the the Federal eagle on the back I knew for sure what I had and let out a loud, BOOM BABY!!! When I turned it over and saw the obverse, I started to cry - there was a recent scuff across the face. I thought how could I have hit this coin with my shovel? I thought I had given the target plenty of room as I dug my plug. Then I thought it might be a recent plow strike. This would be at least a $900 coin without this damage. Anyway, it's not perfect but I'm happy as heck to have dug another Draped Bust dime. I dug a 1797 two years ago.

Attachments

• 9-1-12 Dirty.jpg
    9-1-12 Dirty.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 763
  • 1803 front - dirty.jpg
    1803 front - dirty.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 709
  • 1803 back - dirty.jpg
    1803 back - dirty.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 666
  • 1761 Two Reale front.jpg
    1761 Two Reale front.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 677
  • 1761 Two Reale back.jpg
    1761 Two Reale back.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 673
  • 1761 front - clean.jpg
    1761 front - clean.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 704
  • 9-1-12 all - clean.jpg
    9-1-12 all - clean.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 703
  • 1803 Draped Bust Dime Small 8 variety.jpg
    1803 Draped Bust Dime Small 8 variety.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 700
  • 1803DPdime Steve.jpg
    1803DPdime Steve.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 5,932
  • 1803DPdimeRev Steve.jpg
    1803DPdimeRev Steve.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 5,963
Last edited:
Upvote 34
That coin deserves to be on the banner! Most longtime hunters dont even find early American silver. Congrats on Your second one Steve!
Keith

It should be banner. Like I said, I have never seen one posted since I've been here. Plus it's a beautiful coin.

Thanks everyone for all the nice comments and especially to those who voted banner.
Hopefully everyone will get out and find a "First" this weekend :occasion14:

Well, I found my first seated last friday. I'm hoping for a capped bust or a draped bust next. Because it's that easy, right? lol

Well, I found my first seated last friday. I'm hoping for a capped bust or a draped bust next. Because it's that easy, right? lol

I get down your way for a couple hunts a year (Kearneysville/Leetown). You are in a perfect area to find an early US silver coin.

Nice collection of coins!

Banner Bump! When Tnet changed, making the Banner was a piece of cake. Now it is near to impossible....even after finding a Draped Bust silver. :icon_scratch: Come on, Moderators, Steve deserves this one on top.

He has been a supportive forum member and classy ambassador for this hobby. He has made Tnet his metal detecting home. Steve in PA on top!!!!

Kirk

Banner Bump! When Tnet changed, making the Banner was a piece of cake. Now it is near to impossible....even after finding a Draped Bust silver. :icon_scratch: Come on, Moderators, Steve deserves this one on top.

He has been a supportive forum member and classy ambassador for this hobby. He has made Tnet his metal detecting home. Steve in PA on top!!!!

Kirk

Thanks Kirk, very nice comments. One would think a Draped Bust Dime would be Banner worthy. :dontknow: But thats OK, I have received a lot of nice feedback from other T-Net members, and that is all that matters.

WTG! Banner for sure! Vote casted!

Yeah! It was great to see this made the banner! Congrats Steve! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Hey Steve , Out of town for 8 days and missed this one .. Mrs. had the NO internet clause in affect for the whole trip :BangHead: This is what it's all about for a lot of us and we do have an advantage with the proximity of the Philly Mint . Big Congrats for a Early US silver .. a damn nice Banner find scratched or not scratched ..
leave the Heartbreak Hotel and party downtown, :laughing7: cause it's a winner ! :occasion14:

CMDdawg
:cool:

A day maker for sure!

Steve, chances are you probably did give it the space and was a rock that scraped it. If hitting a target with the shovel is a rare occurrence it probbaly didn't happen this time either, you just don't see damage when rocks rub against coppers and other non silver targets. Of course you will never know for sure, but like I said if you thought you had the space, and you have very few problems in general with hitting finds, it was probably just bad luck. Or you hit them all, but gently. :)

Congrats on the banner spot. Looks good up there.

Last edited:
Congratulations! Didn't think you were going to make it. Glad you did. Should have been a week earlier. But what do I know.:BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back