Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out to and old haunt that a buddy and I have been hitting for a while. A lot of coppers have came out of here. Got a hit and thought it was a KG but it rang in closer to silver. Dug out this.
It's a 1766 William Pitt Token. Pretty cool history to this coin. Turns out some of them were plated with white metal or silver.
Don't know that I have seen one of these pop up here on Tnet before?

Pitt Tokens - Introduction

And what it looks like not dug.

Pitt Tokens

I'm happy digging this one that's for sure.

Attachments

• DSC_1089.JPG
    DSC_1089.JPG
    870.5 KB · Views: 323
  • DSC_1092.JPG
    DSC_1092.JPG
    823.5 KB · Views: 284
  • DSC_1096.JPG
    DSC_1096.JPG
    767.5 KB · Views: 252
Upvote 23
Awesome find !! :thumbsup:

That is way better than almost any KG copper for a find! Congratulation on finding a coin/token that most will never see, yet alone find.

Looks like you had a great hunt, Awesome token :occasion14: My oldest is from the 1930's

I haven't tried cleaning it yet. Probably will just leave it as is.

That's a great find. And like Don said above, a find most of us will never see. I can't remember one being posted before. Congrats!

Thanks guys love the history of this token. Think its cool that Paul Revere may have drawn the sketch that the coin maker used to do the bust.

One of the coolest finds I've seen on here in a long time. I'm voting banner because banner is what I vote! Absolutely amazing piece of history and what great condition.

Banner!

Steve

Very rare and historical piece, and the first one I've ever seen dug. Outstanding find!!

I have either seen one here or read about them somewhere. Is that William Pitt the Elder or Younger? I assume the latter. He was a remarkable man--youngest Prime Minister in English history.

N.B. that I just read your first link and it was William Pitt the Elder. His son was quite an amazing man, perhaps even more so than his father.

Last edited:
Now THAT's a rare find! Congrats!!

Based on the historical significance of this token, I'd consider this a Banner find!

Based on what they book for it would probably only be in the rare range, but if you did the calculation based on how many get dug and posted it doesn't get much better. I'm sure it would be among the best copper coin finds for anyone on this site. If it doesn't make the banner it's purely because they don't think it's pretty enough, which makes no sense to me, but it's their guidelines!

Will have to break out the scale tonight and see what it comes in at. I'm not sure if this is the half cent variety. I think it is though because of the size. I always find it wild how a site can hold such a diversity of items. I dug the Key thermometer and a few new pennies in the same location and it's not and open area. Covered with tons of poison ivy, briars and stinging nettels.

Will have to break out the scale tonight and see what it comes in at. I'm not sure if this is the half cent variety. I think it is though because of the size. I always find it wild how a site can hold such a diversity of items. I dug the Key thermometer and a few new pennies in the same location and it's not and open area. Covered with tons of poison ivy, briars and stinging nettels.

Yes, there is no doubt it's the halfpenny because the farthing bust is very different.

Hi baspinall . seldom seen copper ............ yeap Outstanding

Last edited:
That is awesome! Congrats on a rare token! May make Banner!

Maybe a little more back history of the place ( with out giving it away) will help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back