1770 Valtaire Medallion, fake or real?

Coin_Saver

Nov 10, 2004
Ohio
Went to a garage sale today there was some coins and i met anothe rmd'er but he bragged tou should have heard some of the stuff he was saying, he says he only has a $100 Bounty hunter and he found 60 IH's in one site in the same day, and also 20+ 1850-70s silver dollars, i don't really believe him, he was sorta weird too, tho i bought this Voltaire medallion from him for $10 and my bro got an 1873-S silver trade dollar for $15, annd its wrotyh $100 on eBay!
I can't find very much information about the medallion, tho, anybody have any ideas? HH CS

Attachments

• frontmed.jpg
    frontmed.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 248
  • Silver Dollar 002.jpg
    Silver Dollar 002.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 258
Upvote 0

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could consider resizing the pic, I can only see the left rim. HH, Mike

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I'd keep my eye out for that guy if I were you and when you see him, ask about a refund. The picture looks like a base-metal museum copy, as I believe I remember an article that mentioned the Voltaire medallion and how it was originally cast in gold, silver and copper, and your pic looks to have a bronze look with artifical patina. Could just be the picture, though. As for the trade dollars, those were counterfeited by the tens of thousands overseas in Japan in the early 1900's and, as hard as they are to come by, someone dropping one for $15 seems unlikely. Again though, if the guy was a little off his rocker or hard up for cash, I could easily see it happening. Happy hunting!

OP
OP
Coin_Saver

Coin_Saver

Nov 10, 2004
Ohio
af1733 Mine is copper! anymore ideas? rck_1 The head on the one that you gave me the link to is bigger than mine. if you look at the back of my med it has the roman numerals 1770. HH CS

A

ARCOMANDPURPLE

This medallion cannot be 1770 since Voltaire was born in 1694.....look at the back under the obelisk you will see MDCC...X (1000 + 500 +100+100 ...10 = 1700 something) I cannot make out
a couple of the letters from your picture

A

ARCOMANDPURPLE

CORRECTION
Unless of course the missing letters are LX = 60 ( MDCCLXX= 1770) Then it would mean that it was strucked after his death.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
My mistake about the bronze, :-[ I guess I read about something else that came in gold, silver and copper, but I'd have to agree that it does look like a later reproduction. I would get the Trade Dollar certified, just to be sure. Happy hunting! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread