1773 Virginia Half Penny

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
I picked up this 1773 Viginia colonial copper a whlie back. It caught my eye at a give away price so I purchased it. After getting it home I did some research and found these coins were made of copper. When I looked at the one I purchased I could see a dull nickel like color in the high point wear areas. I brought it to a local coin dealer and he did the drop test and it didn't make the dull sound that he expected so he looked at the rim and thought that there might be a seam where two pieces were press together. Still not completly certain he took a peice of paper and wrote on it useing the side of the coin. He then determined that it was probably lead alloy and a counterfit coin. My question is what time period was this counterfit made. His wild guess was the 1780'S. Would it be that old or a lot later time period?

Attachments

• 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 411
  • 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 414
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 342
  • 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 347
OP
OP
undertaker

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
Being from Vt. this company, Whispering Dreams Pewter could have easily made it. The only thing that doesn't line up is they say that every coin they make says copy on it. This one doesn't have that unless it was ground off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions