1773 Virginia Halfpenny

BradVA

May 25, 2013
Swinging in a cornfield all day Sunday when I originally thought I pulled out a a knock out to an electrical box due to it feeling smooth on both sides and it felt light considering it's size. Looking at it further I could see a bit of detail and immediately got amped. Ran some water on it and could see a bit more. Did some research and found out I had a Colonial coin. Looks rough but it's hands down my favorite.

ForumRunner_20141224_010800.png

ForumRunner_20141224_010830.png

Upvote 4

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Find!!!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes sir that's an oldie!, be careful w cleaning any further

congrats!

OP
OP
BradVA

BradVA

May 25, 2013
Yes sir that's an oldie!, be careful w cleaning any further

congrats!

No more cleaning for this one. Luckily I made those mistakes a while ago on other coins and have definitely learned my lesson.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice. Congrats.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Great find Brad! Your story brings back fond memories for me. When I found my first Va halfpenny over 15 years ago it initially ended up in my junk box, and it took a friend of mine to convince me to do an aluminum rubbing to see if I could get any details off my green "disk". That motivated me to pursue colonial hunting, and the rest is history .....

OP
OP
BradVA

BradVA

May 25, 2013
Great find Brad! Your story brings back fond memories for me. When I found my first Va halfpenny over 15 years ago it initially ended up in my junk box, and it took a friend of mine to convince me to do an aluminum rubbing to see if I could get any details off my green "disk". That motivated me to pursue colonial hunting, and the rest is history .....

Thank you! It's funny because the green is the only reason I thought that it might be a coin. I never imagined I'd find a Colonial coin. My last oldest coin before this one was an 1883 Indian Head Penny. I cannot wait to hit that field again and hopefully I'll have more to share.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro,Garrett 5x8, Nel Tornado / Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer‎/ Minelab X-terra 705 / Makro pinpointer / Nel Tornado coil / Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find !!!

OP
OP
BradVA

BradVA

May 25, 2013
I also forgot to mention it was found using a Garrett AT Pro with it's stock 8.5x11 coil around 5 inches deep.

OP
OP
BradVA

BradVA

May 25, 2013
Congrats in the nice coin! Hope you find some more there! HH!

Thank you! I hope so too! It was my last find of the day, I quit searching about 10 minutes after. Now if only this rain would stop. HH

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brad any state copper is a fantastic find! I especially like the design of the VA. Also super cool to see somebody best their oldest coin by a hundred years or more. Great job and Happy Holidays

OP
OP
BradVA

BradVA

May 25, 2013
Brad any state copper is a fantastic find! I especially like the design of the VA. Also super cool to see somebody best their oldest coin by a hundred years or more. Great job and Happy Holidays

Thank you and Happy Holidays to you as well. My friend (and fellow digger that helped identify the coin) and I were talking and I asked "Where do I go next, 1600's?" Lol.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you and Happy Holidays to you as well. My friend (and fellow digger that helped identify the coin) and I were talking and I asked "Where do I go next, 1600's?" Lol.

Well I was in a similar situation not too long ago my friend....and out popped a 1652 Pine Tree Shilling and a 1664 cob in back to back holes so set your sites high, put in the research time and hopefully the detecting gods will shine on you like they did me. Shoot for the stars my friend

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread